British Speedway Forum

Will It Be The Same With Woffy?

WAS asked to do 300 words from Slovenia by the Daily Telegraph Deputy Sports Editor but, sadly, it never saw the light of day. Hopefully they will include something from Stockholm ... but national papers in general are not terribly pro motorcycle racing in general.

I seem to recall that the Telegraph was really the only broadsheet that provided any sort of speedway coverage in recent years, but if they can't be bothered to report on the sport's premier event, then there's really no hope. That speedway couldn't get it's act together to provide a central feed to the mainstream media really sums up why it's not taken seriously by anyone that matters.

AS someone who covered speedway for the Daily Express I beg to differ. Along with Graham Baker (Daily MIrror), Keir Radnedge (Daily Mail), Dave Lanning (Sun) and Peter Oakes (Daily Star) we were actually sent to all the major speedway events at home and abroad and afforded plenty of space even though the size of the sports sections then as against today were minimal.

League results were hit and miss because by the time they were available several editions were already being printed.

Provisional newspapers were also much more speedway orientated. I help organised a Press trip to the 1979 World Final in Katowice (won by Ivan Mauger) and still have the list ... there were 29 authentic British journos on that trip!

We use to lead the world in many thing years ago but like speedway it is a shadow of its former glory. Life stands still for no man or sport. The sport has been ruined by those running it for all these years and they should hang their head in shame.

Just a further observation on the media 'coverage' of Peter Collins World title win, many speedway fans were tuned in to the Monday edition of ITV's local Manchester/North West 'Granada Reports' expecting more than a little mention of his success. As the 30 minute programme progressed there was no mention in the news section, no mention in the space where there were filler articles being shown (wouldn't be surprised if they had a report on a tiddlywinks championship), and no mention in the sports news.

Apparently this triggered a very heavy surge to their switchboard indeed which took them by surprise. The result was at the end of broadcast as the closing music was piping up and the credits started to roll one of the hosts hurriedly said..."congratulations to Peter Collins the speedway DRIVER on his world title win"

Just a further observation on the media 'coverage' of Peter Collins World title win, many speedway fans were tuned in to the Monday edition of ITV's local Manchester/North West 'Granada Reports' expecting more than a little mention of his success. As the 30 minute programme progressed there was no mention in the news section, no mention in the space where there were filler articles being shown (wouldn't be surprised if they had a report on a tiddlywinks championship), and no mention in the sports news.

Apparently this triggered a very heavy surge to their switchboard indeed which took them by surprise. The result was at the end of broadcast as the closing music was piping up and the credits started to roll one of the hosts hurriedly said..."congratulations to Peter Collins the speedway DRIVER on his world title win"

I'd say in 1976 I wouldn't have expected any sort of coverage from Granada, although I can't remember specifically I'd expect that PC's win would have been covered by Look North on that Monday evening.

BBC Radio 5Live dedicated their Sunday afternoon just gone to Triathalon, can't imagine them even having a 5minute feature on Tai next Sunday if he manages to lift the crown this weekend.

PROVISIONAL arrangements are being made by BSI for a Media Conference in Manchester on Sunday or Monday should Tai clinch the title on Saturday. Apparently there has already been quite a bit of interest. The World Championship trophy will also be at Monmore. Will be interesting to see how Sky handle it if Tai arrives as the new World Champion.

The formal presentation will, of course, take place in Torun after the final SGP round.

Going back over the years in sport,the likes of Greig,Denness,Hick,D'oliveira,Lewis,Bugner, (ex) the British public never took to them.

The speedway public took to Briggo though. Still massively popular decades after he retired. I wonder if to some extent its more due to personality than nationality.

PROVISIONAL arrangements are being made by BSI for a Media Conference in Manchester on Sunday or Monday should Tai clinch the title on Saturday. Apparently there has already been quite a bit of interest. The World Championship trophy will also be at Monmore. Will be interesting to see how Sky handle it if Tai arrives as the new World Champion.

The formal presentation will, of course, take place in Torun after the final SGP round.

Good to see that someone is trying to hype this up a bit. Hopefully it pays off. Tai, his story, just him, he's highly marketable IMO. Speedway (be that BSI/IMG or British Speedway) needs to market him and push him to the public as much as possible if/when he wins the title.

The speedway public took to Briggo though. Still massively popular decades after he retired. I wonder if to some extent its more due to personality than nationality.

Yes but he wasn't winning the World title as a British rider, which is the thread subject.

He wasn't universally popular when he rode either, had his detractors just like all riders, can recall him getting the bird at Hyde Rd, was a dirty bugger when he wanted.

I think what I've seen of Tai's on screen interviews he could definitely connect with and draw in a big numbers of youngsters, maybe the skateboard/surfer/BMX crowd, no reason why they can't begin to incude speedway as a 'cool' sport. Big job on Tai's broad shoulders but he seems really level headed this year, good luck to him.

Didnt Briggo and Ivan Mauger ride for 'GB' ?

Going back over the years in sport,the likes of Greig,Denness,Hick,D'oliveira,Lewis,Bugner, (ex) the British public never took to them.

Are you referring to the Lennox Lewis.....born in West Ham?.......I know the others particpated for England (because of SA appartheid) BUT although he boxed for Canada at least he was born in England

Didnt Briggo and Ivan Mauger ride for 'GB' ?

Are you referring to the Lennox Lewis.....born in West Ham?.......I know the others particpated for England (because of SA appartheid) BUT although he boxed for Canada at least he was born in England

Yes they did, when it suited all concerned, I suppose Commonwealth rules kicked in. They won their individual titles as NZ riders, I'm fairly sure that's the case.

I know the others particpated for England (because of SA appartheid) BUT although he boxed for Canada at least he was born in England

I find it curious who people feel that an accident of birth somehow makes a sports person more qualified to represent their country than where they spent their formative years and/or started their careers. Mark Loram was born in Malta but would never be mistaken for a malteser, whilst Jason Crump who was born in the UK could not in any way be described as a Pom.

The whole notion of sports persons representing their country has largely become a nonsense anyway. In an ever more internationalist world, it's increasingly common that a sports person is qualified to represent two or more countries, and that's not even taking in account those who take a flag of convenience.

I find it curious who people feel that an accident of birth somehow makes a sports person more qualified to represent their country than where they spent their formative years and/or started their careers. Mark Loram was born in Malta but would never be mistaken for a malteser, whilst Jason Crump who was born in the UK could not in any way be described as a Pom.

The whole notion of sports persons representing their country has largely become a nonsense anyway. In an ever more internationalist world, it's increasingly common that a sports person is qualified to represent two or more countries, and that's not even taking in account those who take a flag of convenience.

I'd agree.Don't see the comparison with Crump or Loram.You knew where their allegiance was.You ain't really sure with Tai.Haven't taken to him myself and would have preferred Emil to have been champ.

Well ok with Mark he wasn't really going to have a chance of competing for malta + as far as i know had no tattoo.Crump as well didn't really go out of his way to support GB or have any british tattoo.Tai on the other hand........i wonder if he thought he could get where he is now by choosing Australia would he have done so or was GB an easy route/flag of convenience?That is not really important.haven't taken to him just like i didn't take to Havelock or Carter.Peter Collins on the other hand despite being a Belle Vue rider was a real favourite of mine

Fair enough if you haven't warmed to him iris but it's worth pointing out he won the British under 18 Championship back in September 2007, the following year he was British under 21 Champion, so it's a bit unfair to keep questioning his loyalties.

From your comment on PC, maybe it's the true racers that do it for you, Tai is fast but he hasn't been as spectacular as Emil can be, just a thought.

Fair enough if you haven't warmed to him iris but it's worth pointing out he won the British under 18 Championship back in September 2007, the following year he was British under 21 Champion, so it's a bit unfair to keep questioning his loyalties.

From your comment on PC, maybe it's the true racers that do it for you, Tai is fast but he hasn't been as spectacular as Emil can be, just a thought.

Quite possibly spot on with all that.Like i said it has nothing to do with whether he represents GB or Australia,so far i have other riders i prefer

I do remember it was i think Millwalls first game at Highbury for decades and it was the game where the press were stating Millwall were planning to pinch the clock at the clock end....Lennox Lewis was said to be a Millwall fan and out of the boxes overhead he appeared.The Millwall fans all started singing "Bruno,Bruno..."

Edited by iris123

Yes but he wasn't winning the World title as a British rider, which is the thread subject.

He wasn't universally popular when he rode either, had his detractors just like all riders, can recall him getting the bird at Hyde Rd, was a dirty bugger when he wanted.

Read the thread. Sidney pointed out several sportsmen with perceived foreign connections who never quite hit it off with the British public, I was just pointing out the opposite was true with Briggs who rode for (and captained ) GB enough times despite being a New Zealander.

Of course he wasn't universally, popular, nobody is, but I would say coming runner up (twice I think it was ) in Sportsnight Personality of the Year suggests he was more popular than most.