British Speedway Forum

British Under 19 Final; Coventry 20/9

Adam Kirby may have qualified with a better average than Jack Kingston at the cut-off date for BU19 Championship qualification.

I doubt that...

I know both lads of course, so difficult to comment but it's certainly a real shame that Jack's not in this meeting as he thoroughly deserves to be in there.

For the record for those of you who are questioning as to why Adam Kirby is in the u19's and Jack is only a reserve. When Adam was asked to be 1st reserve he was at the time scoring better than Jack. Then when it became clear that Brandon Freemantle wasn't going to be fit in time Adam got moved up into the meeting proper. Yes i admit Jack is riding better than Adam at the moment and if it was done on averages now then yes Jack should be ahead of Adam but we don't decide who is in or not so criticising Adam isn't going to make any difference. Nobody is more frustrated than Adam abt his poor performances of late and he is working hard to get back on track again. Saying that, i believe there is at least one rider in the meeting that Jack should be ahead of other than Adam but i'm not going to start slating other riders.

Two days to go and hopefully the weather will hold off, its a big meeting for these guys, and an experience that will hold them in good stead for there futures, for some riders its there year, for others its a little early in their career, Yes there appears to be an obvious favourite in Kyle Howarth, but their are a few spoilers in their, if Adam Ellis has his gating gloves on he can win this, and i think its his kind of Track, Stefan Nielsen has the beating of anyone when he gates, Ash Morris is inconsistent from the gate, but dont write him off, but for most of the others this will be experience for them.

This meeting has been allocated to Brandon, and they deserve it, Horton and Co have had a tough time in the EL, but i believe i am right in saying, their reappearance in the NL has been a success, from the size of the crowds, to finding some good young riders, I am sure it will be a good presentation by Mick, hopefully the weather will allow a bit of dirt to be put down, and with a good representation from local riders, I am pretty sure there will be a good crowd to support these young guys, probably a bigger crowd than will be at Rye for the NLRC the following night, everyone who is attending will be guaranteed some thrills & spills, there always is in this kind of meeting, the young guys will be trying hard, and in some cases wont have the experience "yet" to allow them to do what they will attempt to do, have a good meeting guys, and ALL stay safe.

Edited by greyhoundp
  • Like 1

SEVERAL of speedway’s top youngsters will be on show at Brandon on Friday as Coventry host the prestigious British Under-19 Final (7.30pm).

The meeting has become well-established over the last decade (initially at under-18 level) and the list of previous winners includes riders who have gone on to become regulars in the Elite League.

The highest-profile of those is Tai Woffinden, victorious in this event in 2007-08 and now on the verge of becoming World Champion this weekend.

Friday’s line-up includes several riders who have impressed at Brandon this season, and a fierce competition is expected – with 20 qualifying races, a semi-final and then the winner-takes-all Final.

Swindon and Workington man Kyle Howarth will start as favourite based on his top-flight experience, especially given his impressive paid-11 score when guesting for the Buildbase Bees against King’s Lynn recently.

The defending champion Stefan Nielsen is also very highly-rated, whilst Dudley skipper Ashley Morris and 17-year-old Adam Ellis are also expected to be in the shake-up for honours.

The meeting features a number of riders who have been successful in the British Youth set-up, and the current FIM 250cc Gold Trophy champion, 15-year-old Daniel Spiller who has done much of his racing so far in Germany.

Coventry Storm have two representatives, and current form suggests Oliver Greenwood should be a strong factor in the meeting, whilst it will also provide invaluable experience for 16-year-old James Shanes.

Storm boss Laurence Rogers said: “Olly should certainly be looking to make the top six. He knows the track well because of riding there regularly this season and what he’s doing in the Premier League will stand him in good stead.

“I’d like to think Olly could be in the mix with the pre-meeting favourites, whilst for James it’s a big chance for him to show what he can do. He does have a lot of potential.”

Admission prices on Friday are £12 for all adults with children free, for a full 22-heat programme of racing.

SEVERAL of speedway’s top youngsters will be on show at Brandon on Friday as Coventry host the prestigious British Under-19 Final (7.30pm).

The meeting has become well-established over the last decade (initially at under-18 level) and the list of previous winners includes riders who have gone on to become regulars in the Elite League.

The highest-profile of those is Tai Woffinden, victorious in this event in 2007-08 and now on the verge of becoming World Champion this weekend.

Friday’s line-up includes several riders who have impressed at Brandon this season, and a fierce competition is expected – with 20 qualifying races, a semi-final and then the winner-takes-all Final.

Swindon and Workington man Kyle Howarth will start as favourite based on his top-flight experience, especially given his impressive paid-11 score when guesting for the Buildbase Bees against King’s Lynn recently.

The defending champion Stefan Nielsen is also very highly-rated, whilst Dudley skipper Ashley Morris and 17-year-old Adam Ellis are also expected to be in the shake-up for honours.

The meeting features a number of riders who have been successful in the British Youth set-up, and the current FIM 250cc Gold Trophy champion, 15-year-old Daniel Spiller who has done much of his racing so far in Germany.

Coventry Storm have two representatives, and current form suggests Oliver Greenwood should be a strong factor in the meeting, whilst it will also provide invaluable experience for 16-year-old James Shanes.

Storm boss Laurence Rogers said: “Olly should certainly be looking to make the top six. He knows the track well because of riding there regularly this season and what he’s doing in the Premier League will stand him in good stead.

“I’d like to think Olly could be in the mix with the pre-meeting favourites, whilst for James it’s a big chance for him to show what he can do. He does have a lot of potential.”

Admission prices on Friday are £12 for all adults with children free, for a full 22-heat programme of racing.

Really looking forward to this -- I have followed the Elite league for many years (as work allowed) but recently I have enjoyed watching the youngsters more and it's good to see riders that have cut their teeth on grasstrack.

I sure hope that next season gives me reason to continue to follow elite league racing as well as the youngsters after a disappointing 2013.I also hope Scott Nicholls will be back too.

This as to be the most boring meeting I'll attend this season, poor advert for speedway.

Yes, but that was at 8.44pm. You've got to admit it did get a lot better. Well done to all the lads and congratulations to Stefan.

MILDENHALL’S Stefan Nielsen completed a successful defence of the British Under-19 Championship with victory at Coventry on Friday.

Nielsen came through the semi-final to achieve his win, and produced a stunning first two turns in the Final to get the better of his rivals in what was his first-ever meeting at Brandon.

That spelt frustration for the two riders who had qualified automatically for the Final, Ashley Morris having got there with a 15-point maximum and Adam Ellis having dropped his only point to Morris in Heat 19.

But both missed out at the start of the Final with a fast-gating Ben Morley initially in second place as Nielsen swept around the outside, and although Morris passed Morley he wasn’t able to catch Nielsen.

Morris and Ellis always looked the likely automatic Finalists, Ellis doing much of his work from the gate whilst Morris was involved in some good battles – including one with his Dudley team-mate Max Clegg who he re-passed to win Heat 15, and also an on-the-line verdict over Morley four races earlier.

Nielsen scored a solid 12 with two wins and three second places, but the battle for the remaining semi-final spots was close, with three riders on ten points as Morley was joined by Darryl Ritchings – despite a fall after hectic battle in the early stages of Heat 11 – and Coventry Storm’s Oliver Greenwood, who produced one of the best moves of the night with his outside pass on Liam Carr to win Heat 12. Greenwood and Ritchings, though, missed out to Nielsen and Morley in the semi-final.

There was frustration for Josh Bates, who had looked set to put Morley out of the meeting only to suffer mechanical problems at the start of Heat 20 and hand the Kent man a reprieve.

There were two withdrawals after crashes, with 15-year-old Daniel Spiller coming to grief on the parade lap and taking just one ride before pulling out with a knock to the head; whilst Nathan Stoneman was taken to hospital with an ankle injury after a clash with Clegg in Heat 10.

Pre-meeting favourite Kyle Howarth had withdrawn from the event earlier in the day due to illness, but Coventry asset Ryan Terry-Daley gave a competitive showing as his replacement – and regular Storm reserve James Shanes also impressed, including with a dramatic fourth-to-second effort in his fourth outing.

Hard-luck stories also included Carr, who was a late arrival due to traffic and then broke the tapes in his first ride of the night; and Connor Coles, who rode far better than his three points suggested and suffered a broken chain when leading his final outing.

But overall it was a night which produced plenty of good racing, especially in the second half of the meeting, and Nielsen also twice broke the National League track record.

He said: “I think last year I did exactly the same thing, very consistent in the first five races and finished on twelve points which gave me the semi-final.

“I made a good start there whereas in the Final I didn’t get gate one, and I didn’t make the best start because I lifted a bit, I was third going into the corner but I had the momentum around the outside and it worked a treat.

“I enjoyed it, it’s the first time I’ve been to Coventry and I’m very happy with the win. I’d like to say a special thank-you to Michael Lee, I borrowed his engine for two meetings before and I felt it would suit this track well from what people were saying, and it was amazing.”

QUALIFYING SCORES: Ashley Morris 15, Adam Ellis 14, Stefan Nielsen 12, Oliver Greenwood 10, Darryl Ritchings 10, Ben Morley 10, Josh Bates 8, Max Clegg 7, Liam Carr 5, James Shanes 5, Ryan Terry-Daley 5, Nathan Stoneman 4, Connor Coles 3, Daniel Spiller 2, Adam Kirby 2, Nathan Greaves 2, Reece Downes (res) 2, Adam Portwood (res) 0.

SEMI-FINAL: Nielsen, Morley, Greenwood, Ritchings.

FINAL: Nielsen, Morris, Morley, Ellis.

Edited by NeilWatson

The difference between the class of the top 7 riders and the rest of the field was to great to produce good racing however there were still one or two moments to saver,, mine of course was Ben Morley getting 3rd place .. Congratulations to Stefan Nielsen on winning the meeting and Ashley Morris the runner up who may have wished he had taken an outside gate same would apply to the other finalist Adam Ellis .They had the first choices and chose gates 1 and 2 ...

Edited by waco

Sorry Gemini it didn't get Any better. Awful meeting. Poor advert for our kids and sport.

I have to admit to not being there but, according to the updates there was more close riding and passing than in some of the meetings I have seen this season. Are you sure the disappointment of Morris is clouding your judgement ?

Well done all the lads and........

Speedy recover to Nathan Stoneman who must be pretty naffed off with the end of his season. Dropped by Mildenhall and now a broken ankle.

Edited by TMW

The difference between the class of the top 7 riders and the rest of the field was to great to produce good racing however there were still one or two moments to saver,, mine of course was Ben Morley getting 3rd place .. Congratulations to Stefan Nielsen on winning the meeting and Ashley Morris the runner up who may have wished he had taken an outside gate same would apply to the other finalist Adam Ellis .They had the first choices and chose gates 1 and 2 ...

believe me, it was rubbish

All looks like another speedway success story to me! :icon_smile_clown: