British Speedway Forum

TMW

There is a lot of talk and rumour at the moment of league structures, tv deals etc etc..... In my experience there is no smoke without fire because people hear things and are told things 'in confidence' and eventually you get the story and some. Is this not a bit unsettling?. How can supporters look forward to 2014 when they don't know what they are looking forward to?. Is this going to encourage more supporters to drift from the sport. Come on BSPA get it sorted and give some kind of info.

I agree. Uncertainty is always a bit depressing in this type of situation. Rumours abound at the moment - clarification is needed. I think that some sort of Press Release from the BSPA as to what is going on next Year is important because it would kill stone dead some of the aforementioned Rumours.

The Promoters, to be fair, may not have all the 'I's dotted and the 'T's crossed on their Plans for next Season but, in view of the extraordinary Financial state that the Country is presently going through, they must have some idea, an outline if you like of what they are going to do.

Far better to give some idea of what is to happen so that Supporters, when they are planning for next years Home Budget, can factor in their Speedway. The current uncertainty may mean that some of them will drop Speedway from their Planning. That would be very sad for them and would do Speedway no good either.

Over to you BSPA.......................................

Wouldn't it be great if Speedway's Promoters, Administrators, Riders and Supporters could come together at this time - FOR THE GOOD OF OUR SPORT.

In other words, what should happen is the BSPA scrap the Autumn (End of Season) Conference and do away with the voting procedure and just announce NOW what is going to happen in 2014?

No - but they should be giving out an indication of what could happen next year. Remember - in ALL Business you have to look after your Customers, keep them up to date with the latest Information (I'm not talking about secrets obviously). In something like a Sport - it is more important than ever.

Why couldn't they have their AGM earlier for example?

• Like 2

In other words, what should happen is the BSPA scrap the Autumn (End of Season) Conference and do away with the voting procedure and just announce NOW what is going to happen in 2014?

Not at all. They should still have the conference and it should be deciding what will happen in 2015. If they decide, for example, every team needs a minimum of 3 brits, then teams need a year to prepare for it, not a month. Budget that there will be no sky money, and then if there is, it is a bonus. Formats and rules for 2014 should have been decided months ago.

Decide the rules for 2015 this winter and then ask teams to ratify by the end of June 2014 that they will be running in 2015. If anybody says no, revisit the rules in July 2014 and ratify them or any changes by the end of July 2014.

• Like 2

Not at all. They should still have the conference and it should be deciding what will happen in 2015. If they decide, for example, every team needs a minimum of 3 brits, then teams need a year to prepare for it, not a month. Budget that there will be no sky money, and then if there is, it is a bonus. Formats and rules for 2014 should have been decided months ago.

Decide the rules for 2015 this winter and then ask teams to ratify by the end of June 2014 that they will be running in 2015. If anybody says no, revisit the rules in July 2014 and ratify them or any changes by the end of July 2014.

much too simple,

• Like 1

So, decide what's going to happen TWO years down the line.... teams vote in 2013 for 2015... and decide not to run at the end of 2014... when some clubs are unsure if they are running in 2014 to begin with!!!! Don't forget, it isn't that long ago they had the brilliant idea of 'Graded' reserves, where they would stay at reserve for 2 years - "to help them along" - and promptly scrapped it half way through the first year when a couple of riders improved dramatically (from memory it was Jon Armstrong and Steve Boxall, although it may have been Tai Woffinden).

Edited by The Abbott

So, decide what's going to happen TWO years down the line.... teams vote in 2013 for 2015... and decide not to run at the end of 2014...

You seem set against ANY helpful suggestions that folk put forward Abbott. Yes - we can go on as we are with more and more people becoming disillusioned with the Sport and leaving it OR we can look for ways to improve things. I am not saying our suggestions would cure all of Speedway's ills - it patently obviously wouldn't - BUT - I don't see what is wrong with everyone attempting to work together so that our Sport can survive in these dire Financial Times.

A little Information would cost Promoters absolutely NOTHING - but crucially - it COULD engender much good will from Supporters who are all too often treated like MUSHROOMS. (Kept in the dark - and covered in s**t).

• Like 1

So, decide what's going to happen TWO years down the line.... teams vote in 2013 for 2015... and decide not to run at the end of 2014... when some clubs are unsure if they are running in 2014 to begin with!!!!

Absolutely. The more advance planning that a business can do the more chance it has of being successful. Teams leave running decisions until late partly because they don't know what the rules are. How can there be 6 weeks left in the season and nobody knows whether there will be an Elite league or one big league.Enormous difference in costs that would clearly materially affect many promotions intentions. If you know the operational costs for 2015, you should know by June 2014 whether you can afford to run or not.

Edited by AlanF

You seem set against ANY helpful suggestions that folk put forward Abbott. Yes - we can go on as we are with more and more people becoming disillusioned with the Sport and leaving it OR we can look for ways to improve things. I am not saying our suggestions would cure all of Speedway's ills - it patently obviously wouldn't - BUT - I don't see what is wrong with everyone attempting to work together so that our Sport can survive in these dire Financial Times.

A little Information would cost Promoters absolutely NOTHING - but crucially - it COULD engender much good will from Supporters who are all too often treated like MUSHROOMS. (Kept in the dark - and covered in s**t).

Your first statement is totally untrue. All I'm saying is the 'powers that be' can't even decide what is happening in 2014, so what chance of them deciding what is going to happen in 2015?! I totally agree that speedway is dying on it's backside and therefore needs a lift somehow. Unfortunately, I don't have all the answers to how to drag it back up, but I do realise it needs dragging back up, otherwise it will die (maybe not completely, but down to just a few tracks running meaningless meetings). I agree supporters are often left in the dark, which doesn't help. Just because I disagree on this point does NOT mean I disagree with everyone and everything, as you assumed at the beginning of your post.

Your first statement is totally untrue. All I'm saying is the 'powers that be' can't even decide what is happening in 2014, so what chance of them deciding what is going to happen in 2015?! I totally agree that speedway is dying on it's backside and therefore needs a lift somehow. Unfortunately, I don't have all the answers to how to drag it back up, but I do realise it needs dragging back up, otherwise it will die (maybe not completely, but down to just a few tracks running meaningless meetings). I agree supporters are often left in the dark, which doesn't help. Just because I disagree on this point does NOT mean I disagree with everyone and everything, as you assumed at the beginning of your post.

I apologise if I misunderstood your Post Abbott.

I am sorry.

IF you were the boss of Sky and there was just the slightest chance that you might renew the speedway contract, wouldn't you want to know what was on offer NOW...

Definately. Sky put on a good show, and are trying to make things interesting with things like the Inside Track, altho id rather them not do it at Poole!! So, its not just the promoters that need to sit down and talk..

IF you were the boss of Sky and there was just the slightest chance that you might renew the speedway contract, wouldn't you want to know what was on offer NOW...

Of course, and, for all we know, they might have a clue. It's just 'us' poor fans who are told last of all. And, if I was the boss at Sky, I would show more PL matches and even an NL match or two, rather than the dross from the EL they show very week, that's providing Sky are going to renew the deal, which I personally doubt. After all if they are willing to ditch the GP, what chance has 'ordinary' League racing got?

Yes, but equally you can't hang around forever waiting for them to decide. At some point you have to set your budget and plan without it and hope you do get the money.If you plan on getting it and then it doesn't materialize then that could be game over for many tracks.

But isn't that the Catch 22? What's potentially on offer depends upon whether or not Sky renew their contract and for how much. I don't think the promoters could commit to announcing that all 15 gp riders will ride in the 2014 Elite league without knowing they could afford to deliver that product. Something's need to be done behind the curtain.

• Like 1

I would think that there about 10 'ways forward' being considered by various promotors. The world looks very different from the perspective of , say Poole and Coventry to the perspective of ,say Isle of wight, Glasgow, etc. Whatever plans are made should ensure the survival of all clubs, not just the rich ones.

• Like 2

I think I'd be going to Sky and asking them what they would like to see happen for things to improve and then plan to deliver.

I think I'd be going to Sky and asking them what they would like to see happen for things to improve and then plan to deliver.

Are you suggesting Speedway on the Telly at ANY Price.

For Heavens sake - we have already had Double Points and the so called Playoffs thanks to SKY - do you want our Sport ruined even more just to keep it on the SKY Platform. Personally I would rather SKY took a hike than they had any more influence on Speedway.

I will watch the GPs on EuroSport and visit my Track every week - do that and you don't need SKY. :t::) :)

• Like 1