British Speedway Forum

Elite League 2014

But Batchelor would expect #1 points money, Doyle second headleader points money etc. and the cost savings would be negligible.

In order to make a significant cut in costs, the leagues need to be merged, the top 25% of riders jettisoned and the remaining riders to ride for Premier League points money. Anything else is just papering over the cracks.

Batch is already on #1 points money and Doyle not far behind. They will earn more money by scoring more points but clubs won't be paying the four figure sums to others but will instead be paying lower riders a quarter of that. There will still be 90 points up for grabs that need paying, but on average these will be 30% down on what is being paid out now.

On thing is for sure. Dropping the points limit drastically for next season will not in itself fulfill the aims of number 2. When riders like Kildemand, Batchelor, Larsen, Cook are all on 8 point+ averages at the end of 2014, the points limit for 2015 will have to rise to accommodate that. And that is when certain clubs will bring back some of the 'Global Superstars' on their 2013 averages and we will be back to square 1.

Riders that miss out riding in 2014 will only return on a newly assessed average. So a 7.30 point rider would return on a 8.39 average which is a 15% increase.

Edited by T.N.T.

Riders that miss out riding in 2014 will only return on a newly assessed average. So a 7.30 point rider would return on a 8.39 average which is a 15% increase.

I agree. What I was driving at was that some sort of forethought would be needed. The powers that be need to move away from this apparent belief that simply dropping the points limit will provide answers to problems.

Proposals such as that you have made need sorting out at this agm to stop promoters, at the end of the 2014 season, already having their hypothetical Holders, Iversens etc waiting in the wings for a return in 2015 and a resulting fraught agm at the end of 2014 between those that have a 'ringer' heat leader and those that do not.

Pretty sure Sky will renew, They have been very impressed with the viewing figures from what I understand.

Last years television figures were always going to be artificially low , with the Olympics and the Euro 2012 taking place and would naturally see an upturn this year. Next year the promoters and Sky will have the same problem with it being World Cup year.

Be interesting to see what the AGM throws up this year because once again the season is too sporadic , can't remember when the last meeting was on a Sat at Eastbourne. Then this Sat its a double header and then season over again with a whimper.

Swindon , Birmingham in financial difficulties , I can't believe Eastbourne have made much profit with the poor season on the track + sporadic race calendar once again.

Be interesting to see what the AGM throws up this year because once again the season is too sporadic , can't remember when the last meeting was on a Sat at Eastbourne. Then this Sat its a double header and then season over again with a whimper.

That's the biggest thing I miss from the PL days, you knew if it was Wednesday it was speedway, there were only a handful of free Wednesday's scheduled throughout the season, and most of them disappeared with rain-offs. One thing that must disappear is the disparity in the fixtures. Either meet each team once or twice, this current some once/some twice setup is laughable and unfair.
  • Like 3

Ah more claptrap I see.

It's amazing how many people fall for the spin put out there by the British Airways of the world.

Always amuses me that folk moan about Ryanair effectively giving them a choice of not paying for services you don't want.

Want or need? Ryanair charge for baggage in hold, for paying at all, if you don't have a printer and I notice the other day O'Leary stated that charging extra for having a bag in the cabin would be inevitable.

Would not be surprised if he charged extra if you wanted a seat, and in an emergency the oxygen mask only drops after putting a coin in a slot.

I did find it strange on one of his flights when I was sat next to the emergency exit that the stewardess explained to us when and how to open the emergency door. Never had that on any other airline.

I'd still rather the no-frills / no thrills Ryanair flights that get me to where I'm going on time (even with those confounded bugle blasts to tell us all about them lol) than a Lufthansa flight that gets so far delayed that it eventually gets you back to your airport after the last train has departed and all the night service buses have gone... :o

• Like 1

Would not be surprised if he charged extra if you wanted a seat, and in an emergency the oxygen mask only drops after putting a coin in a slot.

I did find it strange on one of his flights when I was sat next to the emergency exit that the stewardess explained to us when and how to open the emergency door. Never had that on any other airline.

Should happen on every flight. I had the very same experience coming back from Portugal just last week with mainstream airline and seen it happen plenty of times.

I'm not against the principle of paying for services as you want them but when the charge for not pre-printing your ticket is £70 and all charges are the same in Euros and Pounds you begin to sniff racketeering.

Bet you won't forget to print out and take your paperwork with you again in future though :t:

Ah we have the typical excuses being trotted out here of people failing to follow simple instructions.

Its YOUR fault if you exceed baggage allowance, you're told when you book, you're emailed about it over and over afterwards.

Its YOUR fault if you don't print off your ticket. You're told when you book, you're emailed about it over and over afterwards.

I agree with the charges, if people can't cope with simple things such as 'reading' then that's their own issue.

I would rather pay £15 with the CHOICE of if I want to put baggage in the hold than pay £250 with British Airways and have the baggage in the hold thrown in. OK, I decide, I'll take the baggage, I'm still only paying £40.

I fly regularly, used to be every other weekend for 3 years to Portugal and back. 98% of the times with Ryanair, I think I had 1 flight that was delayed more than 20 mins. 95% of them were either bang on time or early.

I check in online, arrived at aiport about 50 mins before flight, no need to stand in a line, straight to security, board the plane, front row seat and away we go.

3 times had to fly with British Airways, more than 10 times the cost, one was cancelled, the other two were 3 hour delays. But hey, I got a meal!

Standard practice on any flight I've been on, including international flight when went to Canada earlier in the year. I'd say it was negligent if they didn't do that.

Want or need? Ryanair charge for baggage in hold, for paying at all, if you don't have a printer and I notice the other day O'Leary stated that charging extra for having a bag in the cabin would be inevitable.

You can add up all the charges, pay for every extra service you need (which I would say 80% of passengers don't) and still pay less than 50% of the price more often than not of an equivalent BA/Lufthansa flight etc. For short haul standard class flights there's no difference either apart from the 'meal', which is more than countered by the greater probability of you being delayed.

• 2 weeks later...