British Speedway Forum

If Only All Speedway Races Were This Good..

AndyJ

Going back to Blackbird Road Hunter, I visited once in the 70's and you guys gave the Robins a real thumping. I seem to recall as Sidders says, the track being very fair. But from memory it was similar to Blunsdon. Am I right in thinking that? Memory fades as years go past! Incidentally, when you think back, it was amazing how many tracks were of a bigger shape/size in the 70's. I can think of Hyde Road, Blackbird Road, Blunsdon, The Shay, Owlerton, White City Saddlebow Road and The County Ground at Exeter. The others such as Waterden Road, Brandon and Smallmead were also a fair size. Plough Lane was the only small track in those days that I can think of anyway.

Those tracks you rolled off there ER were all very good tracks great variation different challenges for the riders that's what I miss now.Saying that now we have Somerset,Scunny,Redcar,Workington,Berwick(massive potential) all good tracks but it is sad when you look at the great tracks we have lost Odsal is another one.

Going back to Blackbird Road Hunter, I visited once in the 70's and you guys gave the Robins a real thumping. I seem to recall as Sidders says, the track being very fair. But from memory it was similar to Blunsdon. Am I right in thinking that? Memory fades as years go past! Incidentally, when you think back, it was amazing how many tracks were of a bigger shape/size in the 70's. I can think of Hyde Road, Blackbird Road, Blunsdon, The Shay, Owlerton, White City Saddlebow Road and The County Ground at Exeter. The others such as Waterden Road, Brandon and Smallmead were also a fair size. Plough Lane was the only small track in those days that I can think of anyway.

Well, if you viewed Blackbird Road as a scruffy version of Brandon when Charles Ochiltree was the promoter there, you would be bang on the money. Size-wise, they were virtually identical, as were Blunsdon, Poole and Saddlebow Road. Sheffield was the same length (more or less), but a totally different shape. Hyde Road, The Shay, White City, Exeter and The Boulevard at Hull were much bigger, Waterden Road, Hackney just a tad shorter, although the racing was very much on a par with Leicester. Cradley Heath was slightly shorter. Wolverhampton, Ipswich, Reading, Wimbledon and Birmingham were much smaller. Then you had the alleged horrors of Somerton Park, Newport and Bristol, at least when it first opened, as the dual purpose sand-based track didn't work at all. Of all the tracks I visited during my early years in the sport, I have to say that Leicester, Hackney, Sheffield and Halifax were the stand-out venues, probably in that order. Birmingham Perry Barr wasn't too bad either for a small track, as was Wolverhampton, but that was almost certainly down to the quality of the Wolves team in those days! Out of all those tracks mentioned, only two are currently operating/existing, and one of those has been altered out of all recognition. Missed certainly, but not forgotten. :)

Well, if you viewed Blackbird Road as a scruffy version of Brandon when Charles Ochiltree was the promoter there, you would be bang on the money. Size-wise, they were virtually identical, as were Blunsdon, Poole and Saddlebow Road. Sheffield was the same length (more or less), but a totally different shape. Hyde Road, The Shay, White City, Exeter and The Boulevard at Hull were much bigger, Waterden Road, Hackney just a tad shorter, although the racing was very much on a par with Leicester. Cradley Heath was slightly shorter. Wolverhampton, Ipswich, Reading, Wimbledon and Birmingham were much smaller. Then you had the alleged horrors of Somerton Park, Newport and Bristol, at least when it first opened, as the dual purpose sand-based track didn't work at all. Of all the tracks I visited during my early years in the sport, I have to say that Leicester, Hackney, Sheffield and Halifax were the stand-out venues, probably in that order. Birmingham Perry Barr wasn't too bad either for a small track, as was Wolverhampton, but that was almost certainly down to the quality of the Wolves team in those days! Out of all those tracks mentioned, only two are currently operating/existing, and one of those has been altered out of all recognition. Missed certainly, but not forgotten. :)

Hunter in order my favourite tracks were Hyde RD, The Shay, Blunsdon, Sheffield, Kings Lynn, Exeter, Leicester and Hackney.A great list and my worst track was Newport Somerton Park went only once a home win 61-17 a terrible homer track.

A customer of mine was telling me about the day he went to newport and saw ivan mauger V phil crump in a golden helmet match race. Mauger made the gate (as usual) but on the 2nd lap crumpie blasted round mauger and did a wall of death up the safety fence. Apparently you could see the rubber from the tyre half way up. Wish I'd seen that as phil was my favourite rider as a kid.

A customer of mine was telling me about the day he went to newport and saw ivan mauger V phil crump in a golden helmet match race. Mauger made the gate (as usual) but on the 2nd lap crumpie blasted round mauger and did a wall of death up the safety fence. Apparently you could see the rubber from the tyre half way up. Wish I'd seen that as phil was my favourite rider as a kid.

One of my favourites rob first see him in a WC qualifier at Swindon i think in 1972? when he was a second division rider.Also see him alot when a team mate of Streety later on carried the Robins home and away for years a special rider Legend.