British Speedway Forum

Torun Gp 2013

Sounds like sour grapes to be honest

Re-tweeted by Tai Woffinden.

Edited by grachan

Hancock is professional & a marvellous role model ,he can certainly gate well but to say he is dull is imo rubbish. Watch swc v gollob dull ? Read a post saying tai was the most natural talent since michael lee well can I throw the name loram in please ,I watched mark grow up on the grasstracks & to be honest for me he is the most natural talent on a bike I have seen ,I had a long chat with jason crump once & his opinion mark was the best racer & natural talent he had ever seen. Another interesting comment was that his dad phil thought peter collins was the most talented but mauger was the best he ever rode against.

No mention on Sky Sports News headlines nor in the list of the other sports that they are to cover in the next hour.

Was on breaking news on sky sports and on the main page of the news app

Are you referring to the little ticker tape thing at the bottom of the screen? I switched on to Sky Sports News at the top of the hour and what i quoted above was the case. Also i was obviously referring to a video report/article.interview etc as part of the news and not a line of text. Also i wasn't referring to website coverage but actual TV (Sports) News coverage as in 'Sky Sports News' on the TV.

Anyway whatever, those of us who watched the meeting and follow speedway had a fantastic and entertaining night indeed it's their loss.

Edited by manchesterpaul

Darcy is a fabulous talent but unless he brushes up his gating it will be difficult for him win Titles ,when you get to semi's you are meeting 3 riders that are on form on the night and it will be difficult to pass them all if you miss the gate as last night proved.Hancock certainly shows that gating is important.

Darcy is a fabulous talent but unless he brushes up his gating it will be difficult for him win Titles ,when you get to semi's you are meeting 3 riders that are on form on the night and it will be difficult to pass them all if you miss the gate as last night proved.Hancock certainly shows that gating is important.

Did you watch Darcy last night in the semi? He gated 2nd in the semi and was picked off. So it's not his gating thats an issue. He also got lucky in Latvia as after gating in 2nd and being picked off by Lebdevs, Lebdevs screwed up. Ward just has a poor record in the semis, trying to jump the start and when he makes starts being picked off.

You say Hancock proved gating matters but Miedzisnki 3rd/4th in the semi and the final yet managed 2nd and then when it mattered, 1st, beating Gater Hancock and Ward.

Gosh, I'm not alone after all!

I have nothing but respect for all speedway riders for the bravery and skills they show, but hell, Greg Hancock is the dullest rider ever!

Yes, he is a master craftsman like Ivan Mauger, but he was dull as well.

Greg, like Ivan, is a gater and not much more.

Once Greg has been overtaken that's pretty much it.

Yes, I know, Phil R will probably rattle off examples of a few meetings where Greg has been brilliant, but over a very long career I think my appraisal is pretty accurate.

It's interesting to note how the riders all fit into categories.

Ivan and Greg - steady, unspectacular, and therefore generally avoiding major injuries because you will never see them attempting the the sort of spectacular overtakes that the Wards and the Gollobs entertain us with regulary.

Yes, Greg has been a great ambassador for the sport, but I wish he would retire now and let the young un's in!

• Like 2

Are you referring to the little ticker tape thing at the bottom of the screen? I switched on to Sky Sports News at the top of the hour and what i quoted above was the case. Also i was obviously referring to a video report/article.interview etc as part of the news and not a line of text. Also i wasn't referring to website coverage but actual TV (Sports) News coverage as in 'Sky Sports News' on the TV.

Anyway whatever, those of us who watched the meeting and follow speedway had a fantastic and entertaining night indeed it's their loss.

they did report it ffs

they did report it ffs

Lol not when i tuned in they didn't and not at the start of the broadcast when they refer to the headline stories coming up and also the other sports that they will be covering, which is why i tuned out. Maybe you saw a later edition where they fit little 'non-worthy' bits in?. Maybe they did show it in that actual hour but simply had deemed it not worthy of a mention in the headlines or mention of the other sports coming up? lol. Whatever.

Edited by manchesterpaul

Did you watch Darcy last night in the semi? He gated 2nd in the semi and was picked off. So it's not his gating thats an issue. He also got lucky in Latvia as after gating in 2nd and being picked off by Lebdevs, Lebdevs screwed up. Ward just has a poor record in the semis, trying to jump the start and when he makes starts being picked off.

You say Hancock proved gating matters but Miedzisnki 3rd/4th in the semi and the final yet managed 2nd and then when it mattered, 1st, beating Gater Hancock and Ward.

When I said improve his gating. I was referring to him gating 1st and have the racing line on the 1st corner,gating in any other position leaves you vulnerable .Hampel and Hancock are examples of what I am talking about they win more races than they lose simply by gatingas do most of the top men.Hence the reason regarding Darcy.

I have nothing but respect for all speedway riders for the bravery and skills they show, but hell, Greg Hancock is the dullest rider ever!

Yes, I know, Phil R will probably rattle off examples of a few meetings where Greg has been brilliant, but over a very long career I think my appraisal is pretty accurate.

Ivan and Greg - steady, unspectacular, and therefore generally avoiding major injuries because you will never see them attempting the the sort of spectacular overtakes that the Wards and the Gollobs entertain us with regulary.

Yes, Greg has been a great ambassador for the sport, but I wish he would retire now and let the young un's in!

Its about getting the job done,and Greg Hancock has a record that proves he gets the job done better than most.

agree he does ride as safely as possible. You don't ride in every GP since 1854 unless your careful with injury. He is steady to watch but you win nothing when picking yourself out the air fence like Emil does each year.

Edited by marky
  • Like 2

I think you'll find the young un's have finally come through in the last two years.

Woffinden

Ward

Emil

Holder

Iversen

Hampel (although he's been around the SGP a few years now)

Bottom line is Greg deserves his place as do Gollob and Pedersen.

It's a great mix of riders for next year- I for one can't wait!

I think you'll find the young un's have finally come through in the last two years.

Woffinden

Ward

Emil

Holder

Iversen

Hampel (although he's been around the SGP a few years now)

Bottom line is Greg deserves his place as do Gollob and Pedersen.

It's a great mix of riders for next year- I for one can't wait!

And with regards to gating and being boring - I used to have the same argument with my colleagues 25 years ago about Jan.O Pedersen (who incidentally was the most spectacular rider ever...) and Erik Gundersen.

Erik won multiple world titles based on his fantastic gating and first corner skills, whilst Jan.O although unbelievable in his ability to pass anyone, did not fulfil his potential until he finally learnt to master his gating technique.

In 1991 when he won all three world titles, the only points he dropped in 16 races were due to an engine failure, but he gated in every race - it's what you've always needed to become top in the sport.

Darcy is fantastic to watch and some of his moves are unbelievable, but the bottom line is gating is 80% of the job.

Perhaps if more of these un's had the skill and talent to pass him he might think about retiring.Until then why should he,Mauger was a gater but the fans still turned up to see who could beat him.Box Office stuff.

Photo of the one and only Per Jonsson looking well http://www.sportowef...polski-2013-cz5

One for the men http://www.sportowef...920#photo-start

one for the ladies http://www.sportowef...921#photo-start

Another one for the men http://www.sportowef...726#photo-start

Another one for the ladies-wonder who the grey haired old boy with them is :lol:http://www.sportowef...763#photo-start

Tai with team and family http://www.sportowef...836#photo-start

Edited by racers and royals