British Speedway Forum

Pl Play-offs

I know that Leicester are not good enough to get much further, but that's not the point.

They have completed all of their meetings in the time allocated and still had a mathematical chance to make the top six. But, now through no fault of their own they are penalised because other teams can't get their fixtures completed on time.

How can that be right.

I still think things should be judged on equal amount of meetings, i said that if redcar did not get the meeting in before the deadline, then lions last result should not stand. I did not say every ones last result should not stand simply because it is only lions and redcar that are affected. yes i agree they had the chance to get more league points by having 1 more meeting than redcar, but the other argument is that by having that extra meeting they were and are at a disadvantage with regards the total riding points against them. Look to be honest we have not done enough over the season to be in the play off's. But things need to be equal or it will be open to abuse in future years, by teams not completing their fixtures.

Lets face it if we had qualified in the same manner we wouldn't be bleating. So fair play

the team finishing top SHOULD be league champions

however, an end of season competition featuring the top 6 would give the required exciting finish to the season plus appease traditionalists.

How would that give the comp any credibility? It would be like the other mini competitions. KOC PLC etc......

EEJITS !!!

would'nt it be really ironic, if, after Redcar have been rewarded with a play-off place, go on to get stuffed at Rye House, leaving them in 7th position in the final table, but they find some good form and then go onto win the play offs, get crowned 'champions' form 7th place in the league ? ,,, might not be they way things was meant to be, some folk might look silly, but would set tongue's wagging about speedway and the crazy world it is, hahaha

Oh,,, and am sure TWK would love it

Edited by ruffdiamond

EEJITS !!!

would'nt it be really ironic, if, after Redcar have been rewarded with a play-off place, go on to get stuffed at Rye House, leaving them in 7th position in the final table, but they find some good form and then go onto win the play offs, get crowned 'champions' form 7th place in the league ? ,,, might not be they way things was meant to be, some folk might look silly, but would set tongue's wagging about speedway and the crazy world it is, hahaha

The ironic thing is if it went by points for as opposed to against Leicester would be in the play off's as Redcar would have to score 50 odd points at RH. So I suppose it just wasn't meant to be.

The ironic thing is if it went by points for as opposed to against Leicester would be in the play off's as Redcar would have to score 50 odd points at RH. So I suppose it just wasn't meant to be.

surely it has to be points difference to decide, but if they didnt have the playoffs then this scenario wouldn't arise, the EL teams only have 14 league matches and no cup matches, yet still struggle to complete fixtures... It boils down to money at the end of the day, but they haven't thought it through very well, having to fulfill so many fixtures in the set period, given rain offs and blank dates where race nights clash..... In an ideal world the play offs are exciting etc... but proven to be very difficult to fit in....so Scrap them I say ... Or maybe race at neutral tracks, like berwick, Plymouth, who every year are finished by September..

Could even cut the playoff down to four clubs etc.

Edited by Arson fire

surely it has to be points difference to decide, but if they didnt have the playoffs then this scenario wouldn't arise, the EL teams only have 14 league matches and no cup matches, yet still struggle to complete fixtures... It boils down to money at the end of the day, but they haven't thought it through very well, having to fulfill so many fixtures in the set period, given rain offs and blank dates where race nights clash..... In an ideal world the play offs are exciting etc... but proven to be very difficult to fit in....so Scrap them I say ... Or maybe race at neutral tracks, like berwick, Plymouth, who every year are finished by September..

Agree with cutting the play off's down to 4 6 is too many and then the problem would go away. To think the difference between your team being in or out is down to 24 points but having said that we should have done better in the other 23 other meetings and not leave it. We lost our play off place at RH with an extremely unfit Edberg and if he wasn't fit then he shouldn't have returned as he clearly hadn't done 4 laps on a bike till RH and that appeared to continue onto Newcastle. I don't know if he had aggravated the injury as for the Edinburgh match he seem to have improved.

Edited by TMW

sounds like a better idea,,,

a bit harsh on Berwick and Plymouth,,, or are they ever gonna be involved in the play offs

always?? It's only the 2nd year :)

promotion/relegation and young shield. has been going for a while. also the same rules as el play offs.

i'm not saying i like it and i do understand why it would be annoying for leicester fans but they have to have a cut off date. rye have already had 5 postponements, ran 3 double headers and the reason the redcar match was last was because they met in the ko cup semi. just pretty bad luck that rye vs redcar ended up meaning something.

having said that if rye needed a result i reckon len would have pulled out all the stops to run it today or tomorrow.

for me the pl should only have play offs if you are going to televise the final. but we now have 14 fantastic matches to look forward to. ipswich/somerset/newcastle at the dale will be quality and i wouldn't mind a shot at redcar to avenge the home defeat earlier in the season

Edited by scotchopper

This is Speedway so still time to change the rules.

I say switch to a 4 team mini league play off.

Rebels/Monarchs/Diamonds/Witches.

I wont hold my breath for a Jenga like on this post though!!

It's ludicrous to think you can finish 20 points behind the league leader yet still be champions... It opens the door to cheat the system... Scunny last year were able to win because they were rubbish early season,able to replace a, lets face it average rider with one of the best youngsters the PL has seen in the last decade... All of a sudden those that were not scoring suddenly start piling the points up in some sort of strange coincidence...we love Speedway but it is a joke, corrupt and unsporting most of the time... What other sport penalizes successful teams, but gives a massive incentive to crap ones.... Only people that can sort it out are the promoters... As a group, because the fat lady is clearing her throat and the fans are becoming disinterested in their droves....sort it out before its to late, think of the bigger picture instead of your own poxy clubs, be together and for once make decisions for the good of the sport on the whole.

Rant over.

A p!ssed off fan.

• Like 5

It's ludicrous to think you can finish 20 points behind the league leader yet still be champions... It opens the door to cheat the system... Scunny last year were able to win because they were rubbish early season,able to replace a, lets face it average rider with one of the best youngsters the PL has seen in the last decade... All of a sudden those that were not scoring suddenly start piling the points up in some sort of strange coincidence...we love Speedway but it is a joke, corrupt and unsporting most of the time... What other sport penalizes successful teams, but gives a massive incentive to crap ones.... Only people that can sort it out are the promoters... As a group, because the fat lady is clearing her throat and the fans are becoming disinterested in their droves....sort it out before its to late, think of the bigger picture instead of your own poxy clubs, be together and for once make decisions for the good of the sport on the whole.

Rant over.

A p!ssed off fan.

Rant over.

A p!ssed off fan.

phewww,,, well said

EEJITS !!!

would p??? me pants

So the extra point the SCB awarded Redcar back in june, for that 46-47 win at Edinburgh turning a 3 point win into a 4 point win because Edinburgh infringed the R/R rules turned out to all important. So we've got Edinburgh to blame for us not reaching the play -offs :D .

might have been a different outcome had it cost Edinburgh any points :)