British Speedway Forum

Pl Play-offs

Not quite so clear-cut as just these two - Workington must be looking down at these two below them with a little trepidation. The comets have two difficult fixtures and, although they've got a healthy average, a couple of hefty defeats with just one of the other two pickking up points could see the Comets miss out.

Take it from me that`s there`s no chance of Workington not making the play-offs.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but weren't the PL play-offs brought in because Sky said they would show the Final live if they did.... and then Sky didn't show the final live? I'm against the play-offs personally. Although, at least, the team finishing top this season will get a trophy, as in the last few seasons the teams finishing top got sod all. Different 'Kettle of Bananas' I know, but it's like the PLRC, when a few years back, Peter Carr won it after he'd scored 8 pts. The team finishing 6th could be crowned 'League Champions' just doesn't sound right to me, but we all know the rules of the competition before it starts and all clubs agreed on it, so we just have to get on with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but weren't the PL play-offs brought in because Sky said they would show the Final live if they did.... and then Sky didn't show the final live? I'm against the play-offs personally. Although, at least, the team finishing top this season will get a trophy, as in the last few seasons the teams finishing top got sod all. Different 'Kettle of Bananas' I know, but it's like the PLRC, when a few years back, Peter Carr won it after he'd scored 8 pts. The team finishing 6th could be crowned 'League Champions' just doesn't sound right to me, but we all know the rules of the competition before it starts and all clubs agreed on it, so we just have to get on with it.

Aye!! - your right - but - we have no bloody say about it. :angry: :angry:

We only PAY to buy the Product. :mad: :mad:

Absolutely - but I was referring to the play offs, where you can finish 6th and win the League title because of your ability to keep scorelines close away from home.

Absolutely.. But your still better off finishing top..

just been looking at the Premier league table and the 6th and final play-off spot is still very much up in the air. it`s likely to go down to race points as Leicester and Redcar are unlikely to get anything from their trips to Newcastle and Rye house respectively.

Current position 6th Leicester 41 pts for 1049 against 1041

7th Redcar 41 pts for 1028 against 1028

Will Leicester avoid a heavy defeat at Newcastle and can Redcar keep it relatively close at Rye ?

At the time,back in June it probabaly didn't seem that important, but looking at the table now the decision by the BSPA to award Redcar 4 match points instead of 3 by altering the score of the Edinburgh v Redcar from 46-47 to a Redcar win by more than 6, because of a rule infringement by Edingburgh, could have a big say in the outcome of the play-off line up.Like you say it could well go down to race points as both sides will struggle to get anything from tough away trips, especially Leicester as they usually take a massive beating at Newcastle & the news that the in-form Magnus Karlsson will be missing with a back injury will not help ( Ricky Wells guests ).

In relation to the play off's, I can never understand why "any" team would want to go out and physically try to finish first at the season's end when only Kudos is up for grabs?

If you are to be crowned Champions after a small round robin contest why bother putting all your effort's into the first 24 matches when you only need do enough to get into the top six then go all out from there, and if you came sixth well... your "still" Champions coz, that's what we all agreed, right!!! :blink:

We are not the only sport that does this, over the last two season's, Leeds Rhinos have finished sixth in Super League, (27 matches), often a long way behind in points in relation to the League leaders and have gone on to play brilliantly in the play off's culminating in them being crowned SL Champions on "both" occasions, worthy.... they like to think so!! ;)

Unless someone comes up with a proposal to go back to the "outrageous" idea of Champions being the team whom, well, finishes top, I'd say were stuck with it!! :D

• Like 1

I personally hate the playoffs even more than tacticals, To have a chance of being champions a team only has to be good for 5 minutes, look at the EL, if Poole or Peterborough get in they will probably be favourites. Glad Diamonds probably won't come top like last year, avoid pressure of being best team but not champions. If there must be playoffs copy basketball and ice hockey where they are kept seperate but both important competitions or like America split into two leagues and meet at the end of the season. This way all the postives without the negatives rather than false champions and a micky mouse cup everbody forgots about seconds later for 1st place. Plus with injuries, luck is just as important as talent at this part of the season.

• Like 2

Yes, the draw was done during PLRC and he made a joke about picking Leicester with a dig about us being the obvious pick after he'd said Scunthorpe was his pick then changed his mind and said obviously Leicester really , whilst laughing ....

ii was there, don't think it was a p!ss take really as Scunny were so much stronger of the two.

Yes, the draw was done during PLRC and he made a joke about picking Leicester with a dig about us being the obvious pick after he'd said Scunthorpe was his pick then changed his mind and said obviously Leicester really , whilst laughing ....

But Newcastle couldn't have picked Scunthorpe last year as Scunthorpe finished 2nd in the PL and the team finishing top of the table cannot select the team that finished 2nd in the league table, so Scunthorpe were never an option for Newcastle to select........ :blink:

But Newcastle couldn't have picked Scunthorpe last year as Scunthorpe finished 2nd in the PL and the team finishing top of the table cannot select the team that finished 2nd in the league table, so Scunthorpe were never an option for Newcastle to select........ :blink:

i know that, that's where the joke was as he couldn't select scunny, but certainly wasnt taking the mick.... He's not like that.

Defeat to Somerset cost us also not just Leicester hurricanes.

i know that, that's where the joke was as he couldn't select scunny, but certainly wasnt taking the mick.... He's not like that.

Defeat to Somerset cost us also not just Leicester hurricanes.

He's not that type of person at all. :angry: :angry:

As always, comaprisons with other sports only have limited value but its rare that there isn't some sort of play off - entry to the arguably the biggest football league in the world is partly decided by one, for example.

While we might all have our own individual preferences, it is surely what benefits the sport as a whole that counts and what must decide the way to go. There's no question that the play off matches pull in bigger attendances, create far more interest and generate more excitement - as Rob has accurately said, the contrast between the damp squib ending of 2011 when a large number of meaningless matches were played out and the fantastic end to the 2012 season is a stark one, and I think it is clear that in terms of what is best for the sport play offs win hands down.

For myself, I was a dyed in the wool fan of top of the league wins the league until I went to the amazing Scunthorpe-Mildenhall NL play off final in 2011. The second match was undoubtedly the best I have ever seen and had the effect of completely changing my view.

Does anyone know when the cut off is ?

The cut off for the playoffs is 16th September

So after tonight`s match tonking for Leicester- I make it that Redcar can afford to lose by 22 points at Rye House to go through on race points.

So who is it going to be who makes the so called Play Offs then??

Bears or Tigers??