British Speedway Forum

Pl Play-offs

Yes but they weren't racing against Redcar or Newcastle, so what has that got to do with anything?

(Lights blue touch paper and stands well back!)

why,,, are they having a display afterwards ???

that reminds me,,, we did'nt have any cheap fireworks at Newcastle on Sunday,,, was George saving money, or was it the last meeting ???,,,

personnally, am not really a fan ov fireworks anyway,,, they go off in my head every day, just like the blitz :-(

I can see Edinburghs frustration as they have ready to race for a fortnight.

However I remember last year when Ipswich were ready in June for the cup semi and were kept waiting til September by the Monarchs.

Funny how opinions change when the boot is on the other foot!

A cynic would say that Edinburgh booked the last Friday in the month knowing that Somerset can't run at weekend and only leaving Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to run, for which they have to get permission from the council. Maybe hoping for rain and the title to be awarded on one legs results. Maybe Garry shouldn't have signed Wrighty and trounced them in the cup final.

Well you may think that, I couldn't possibly comment :wink:

Edited by Pirate Nick

A cynic would say that Edinburgh booked the last Friday in the month knowing that Somerset can't run at weekend and only leaving Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to run, for which they have to get permission from the council. Maybe hoping for rain and the title to be awarded on one legs results. Maybe Garry shouldn't have signed Wrighty and trounced them in the cup final.

You cynic you. :shock::rofl: :rofl:

Had to read this twice just to be sure I hadn't misread it!!

What an imagination.

It's not Poole we're talking about.

What other dates have Edinburgh got available?

Tomorrow? Yep can surely get the programmes and publicity sorted out that quickly.

And if redcar is called off tonight?

Where is it stipulated that the League winners are automatically assigned seniority regarding race day, in the Championship Play Offs ?

I would imagine Edinburgh would be agreeable to Somerset having the choice of holding either the first or second leg, but to expect them to also surrender their long established Friday race night is unreasonable.

That's pretty much the way it happened in 2012. Scunthorpe (who'd finished 2nd in the league, once place above Somerset) chose to have the 2nd leg.

The two clubs co-operated regarding dates. Somerset were allowed to run on their usual Friday night (26th), while Scunny rode on the Sunday (28th), which then become the Monday (29th) once the Sunday was washed out. It was lucky last year that one of the teams (Scunthorpe) could run on any night of their choosing, therefore allowing some flexibility.

This year, both teams have restrictions on the nights they can run. It just shows that the Redcar meeting tonight was being held too late, otherwise the first leg could have taken place at Armadale tomorrow night.

Really any group matches needed to be done and dusted by October 6th, allowing the final to take place in the second week of October. I did say as much when I first saw qualifying matches being held as late as October 13th. All it needed was one rain off to cause problems and so it has proved.

I still think play-offs are a great thing, but teams do need to get on with holding meetings. There does need to be a cut-off for group matches, to give plenty of time for the final.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 2

Perhaps because of the exceptional circumstances of both clubs having the same race night, Somerset should be allowed to hold the second leg on Friday, 1st November.

There have been in instances in previous seasons where official matches have been held in November. (e.g Edinburgh vs Berwick, KO Cup Final was held on 6th November, 1981)

• Like 1

Perhaps because of the exceptional circumstances of both clubs having the same race night, Somerset should be allowed to hold the second leg on Friday, 1st November.

There have been in instances in previous seasons where official matches have been held in November. (e.g Edinburgh vs Berwick, KO Cup Final was held on 6th November, 1981)

Whatever happens, it needs co-operation between the two clubs involved. It is only fair that Somerset have the second leg. Really each club needs a home date and also a reserved back-up home date, in case of a rain-off.

A workable solution can hopefully be found for what I'm sure will be a cracking final.

And then, from next season, the final really does need to be held earlier in October! There were reserved dates in the original fixture list (the second week of October being put aside for the final), these should be stuck to!!

All the best

Rob

Just Toss a coin to decide the winners ,it will save a bit of time.Play off this late in the season make the usual mockery of the sport ,what's the chances of 2 decent nights weather and tracks that have not been affected by the weather at this time of year.Just look at Birmingham the other night.To have the highlight of the Season for the Teams involved so late in the season is farcical.A radical rethink is needed but I won't hold my breath.

The sport is a mockery , play off cut off dates whatever , conversion rate whatever , I stand to be corrected but didn't Somerset ride Ipswich in what could have been a Championship decider but you must ride Monday for a play off cut off ...oh no Barker Doyle & Morris cant ride because they must ride in a Birmingham V Swindon fixture for another cut off date please explain to me what is good about that ...mockery is the word. Imo they are too good for the Pl ,ride in one league but not in both, the three are double downers not "uppers" trying to step up to the next level. Not picking on those 3 they would be as stupid as the rules if they didn't fill their boots so to speak. It is against my nature to stand up for the promoters how do you avoid this farce, U21's now run as a GP series Euros next ?....there are genuine reasons why fixtures are increasingly hard to arrange with out the usual bollocks they are scared to ride us!! I am against play offs because why should a team have to win the League twice. It is hard enough to run the complete League programme(don't start me on the Elite they opt out of riding a number of fixtures to appease the Paymaster General in the Sky & still struggle) so why add additional fixtures in a League that's so spread out when costs needed to be cut in the economic climate we live in but oh no increase the costs and the mockery. Well done.

• Like 1

The sport is a mockery , play off cut off dates whatever , conversion rate whatever , I stand to be corrected but didn't Somerset ride Ipswich in what could have been a Championship decider but you must ride Monday for a play off cut off ...oh no Barker Doyle & Morris cant ride because they must ride in a Birmingham V Swindon fixture for another cut off date please explain to me what is good about that ...mockery is the word. Imo they are too good for the Pl ,ride in one league but not in both, the three are double downers not "uppers" trying to step up to the next level. Not picking on those 3 they would be as stupid as the rules if they didn't fill their boots so to speak. It is against my nature to stand up for the promoters how do you avoid this farce, U21's now run as a GP series Euros next ?....there are genuine reasons why fixtures are increasingly hard to arrange with out the usual bollocks they are scared to ride us!! I am against play offs because why should a team have to win the League twice. It is hard enough to run the complete League programme(don't start me on the Elite they opt out of riding a number of fixtures to appease the Paymaster General in the Sky & still struggle) so why add additional fixtures in a League that's so spread out when costs needed to be cut in the economic climate we live in but oh no increase the costs and the mockery. Well done.

Bloomin' 'eck, did you type that all in one breath?

Paragraphs, Sean. Maybe a less-bold font, too.......

Edited by Lord Antebellum

As I put on another thread too, hoping to end the whining sounds from the south-west:

Seniority is agreed when each new member joins one of the leagues.

Last year's final also between two Friday clubs, and the senior club (er, Somerset) had, and took, the Friday night as was their right.

Don't recall the Rebels' fans doing much moaning back then........

• Like 4

The sport is a mockery , play off cut off dates whatever , conversion rate whatever , I stand to be corrected but didn't Somerset ride Ipswich in what could have been a Championship decider but you must ride Monday for a play off cut off ...oh no Barker Doyle & Morris cant ride because they must ride in a Birmingham V Swindon fixture for another cut off date please explain to me what is good about that ...mockery is the word. Imo they are too good for the Pl ,ride in one league but not in both, the three are double downers not "uppers" trying to step up to the next level. Not picking on those 3 they would be as stupid as the rules if they didn't fill their boots so to speak. It is against my nature to stand up for the promoters how do you avoid this farce, U21's now run as a GP series Euros next ?....there are genuine reasons why fixtures are increasingly hard to arrange with out the usual bollocks they are scared to ride us!! I am against play offs because why should a team have to win the League twice. It is hard enough to run the complete League programme(don't start me on the Elite they opt out of riding a number of fixtures to appease the Paymaster General in the Sky & still struggle) so why add additional fixtures in a LeTague that's so spread out when costs needed to be cut in the economic climate we live in but oh no increase the costs and the mockery. Well done.

totally agree with your Post fans just want to see their seven riders riding for their team.cancelling and riding fixtures with guests while your rider is riding for a different Team you couldn't make it up.!!

totally agree with your Post fans just want to see their seven riders riding for their team.cancelling and riding fixtures with guests while your rider is riding for a different Team you couldn't make it up.!!

This is a fair point. Doubling-up was introduced at one scale, then suddenly ramped up when the 60% rule was brought in (as a direct result of the Coventry/Peterborough fiasco) and is wrecking the league infrastructure.

Ramp back on doubling-up, bring back credibility.

• Like 2

...I still think play-offs are a great thing,

Perhaps the playoffs would be more palletteable if more emphasis was placed on actually winning the league itself. Then it would be viewed as a super contest involving the best teams of the season for a final go at winning a significant trophy. It would also make sense reinstating the Young Shield too to give more teams and their supporters the opportunity of wrapping up the season.

(Off back under my stone).

Edited by Willowman

Well dates are set

Friday 25th at the dale and Monday 28th at Somerset.

If the first leg is called off presumably they will forfeit a home leg?

There would obviously be no other option available to them going by the comments on here! wink