British Speedway Forum

Pl Play-offs

Cost Newcastle the Title last Season Dave - I agree they are exciting - but - the 'Play Off' Champions were most definitely NOT the League Champions. A Champions Cup at the end of the Season would be just as exciting and the Team that won that Competition would be the Premier League Champions Cup Winner. A League Championship is won over a whole Season - to say anything else is illogical.

Because other Sports do it does not mean that we have to demean OUR Sport by doing the same thing.

Double Points, Play Offs - no the wonder folk are deserting Speedway in their droves.

But Speedway gates are up this season

I would seed the league winners direct to the play off final and let the others scrap it out to face them.

Id say thats a good call from a competition perspective.

However the winners miss out on potential bumper crowds for the semi finals.

I would seed the league winners direct to the play off final and let the others scrap it out to face them.

Would be a much fairer system on the team that wins the League, I agree.

For what it's worth and the team that wins the league, they should have no problems winning a few more meetings to win the play offs too.

no its not.

I know you like to be pedantically correct and a con is defined as

"persuade (someone) to do or believe something by lying to them:"

There is no lying - it is NOT a con. Its a set up that you dont like but we know before the season starts its happening so its not a con

That's where you are wrong - THERE IS A LIE. The LIE is that the Play Off Winners are League Champions - how can you call them League Champions if they didn't win the League. Bloody crackers if you ask me!!

As you say in your last sentence Lioness - it IS a SETUP. I couldn't have put it better myself. :t::approve: :approve:

Oh - and if Newcastle DON'T win the League but DO win the Play Offs - they are NOT as far as I am concerned League Champions - they are Play Off winners in my book. Whoever win the League over the Season deserve to be called Champions. (This is to answer someone who asked what I would think about Newcastle winning the Play Offs - now you know).

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 2

Mystic Meg here - Edinburgh and Ipswich to finish top 2 in the league and have the play off picks, Edinburgh choose Redcar and Somerset, Ipswich have Worky and Newcastle, turns out to be a Edinburgh/Newcastle final with the Diamonds coming out as eventual play off winners

Nonsense, other sports only do it because Sky tell them to. The biggest sport in the world does not use play offs to decide domestic lge champions, because its a farce.

Wind ya neck in. Many sports decide their league titles by playoffs, and you can't deny that cos it's true. It is regardless whether that sport does it for SKY or anybody/anything else.

Mystic Meg here - Edinburgh and Ipswich to finish top 2 in the league and have the play off picks, Edinburgh choose Redcar and Somerset, Ipswich have Worky and Newcastle, turns out to be a Edinburgh/Newcastle final with the Diamonds coming out as eventual play off winners

Oh forgot about Ippo...them too. :P

• Like 1

and the older generation claim its the younger generation that dont understand the English language! :rolleyes:

I doubt we would choose Newcastle, but you never know what with injuries and things

Would depend where you finish in the league... If Newcastle finish outside the top 2, then they'll be last to be chosen by the top two clubs. Therefore whoever finishes second in the league will ultimately get Newcastle I think...

For me though, I can see Newcastle and Somerset occupying the top two places (this weekends Northern tour for Somerset will go a long way to deciding that) and for me, Newcastle will plump for Workington and Redcar with Somerset taking the Twitchers and being left with us...

Either way, it's a fantastic finish to the season... Never known it this competitive...

Edited by Nutz
  • Like 1

Would depend where you finish in the league... If Newcastle finish outside the top 2, then they'll be last to be chosen by the top two clubs. Therefore whoever finishes second in the league will ultimately get Newcastle I think...

For me though, I can see Newcastle and Somerset occupying the top two places (this weekends Northern tour for Somerset will go a long way to deciding that) and for me, Newcastle will plump for Workington and Redcar with Somerset taking the Twitchers and being left with us...

Either way, it's a fantastic finish to the season... Never known it this competitive...

I agree it's going to be very exciting, however I thought it was the top placed team picked one opponent, then the second placed team picked, then the first again and finally the second? I stand to be corrected though. That's why I think whoever finishes first would probably pick Redcar and whoever finishes second would probably choose Workington and then be left with the stronger sides

Many sports decide their league titles by playoffs, and you can't deny that cos it's true. It is regardless whether that sport does it for SKY or anybody/anything else.

Tsunami, for once we're in comeplete agreement. Many other sports are decided by play-offs. And the reason is simple: it's exciting and gets the punters in.

Blupanther's Sky argument is a bit bizarre in any case. The PL play-offs are not televised so why would Sky care how the PL is decided. It was the PL promoters who voted in play-offs, no-one else.

The play-offs are here to stay to decide the Premier League Championship.

All the best

Rob

I agree it's going to be very exciting, however I thought it was the top placed team picked one opponent, then the second placed team picked, then the first again and finally the second? I stand to be corrected though. That's why I think whoever finishes first would probably pick Redcar and whoever finishes second would probably choose Workington and then be left with the stronger sides

Unless Rye House overhaul Workington or Redcar.

All the best

Rob

Newcastle's big plus point is they put up a decent showing at virtually all other tracks giving them hope over two legs (misplaced hope in the KO Cup but hey ho).

Likewise Somerset - unlike Newcastle though, we've not lost anywhere by more than 8 points yet and scored a minimum of 41 points wherever we have been.

Bar the slip up against Edinburgh, our form this season has been incredible up until now - we look untouchable at home now with the form of our top 4 and with our ability to keep the score close or win away, that is why we look massive contenders when the play offs come around.