British Speedway Forum

Pl Play-offs

Perhaps part of the reason people are drifting away is that the credibility of our so called Sport is stretched beyond the limit and beyond belief. :sad: :sad:

Certainly one of the reasons why I have attended a grand total of 0 matches all season. All them 06/07/08/09/10, most them 2011, but only about 10 last season. How the end of last season was run sickened me right off. Playoffs, fine - but the lack of holding the Edin v Worky match meant that the team who won the title may not have even made the final anyway.

Now that the playoff's have started though and the league title is up for grabs, I might attend, but in all honesty it's taken that long to get to the meaningful fixtures (I never attended challenge matches which is all league fixtures now are), I'd rather go and have a few frames of Snooker instead.

The thing that I've noticed is everyone supports Playoffs providing that you finish 2nd-6th (so your team still has a chance of winning the title, even though your team failed to win it over the season against everyone else), or 1st (providing that your team wins them). And then whoever wins are deemed "worthy league champions". Worthy as they performed best over 4 extra league matches and a knockout final? Yeah, right!

• Like 1

I certainly dont support the playoffs even though the Witches finished 2nd . Im sure had there been no playoff system the last meaningful meeting of the season between Somerset and Ipswich would have been contested by full strength teams to decide the champions .

Personally im just looking forward to some additional meetings in the hope my team can pull something out of the bag . As I said im no fan but that's the way the league is set up so we have to live with it .

• Like 1

I certainly dont support the playoffs even though the Witches finished 2nd . Im sure had there been no playoff system the last meaningful meeting of the season between Somerset and Ipswich would have been contested by full strength teams to decide the champions .

Personally im just looking forward to some additional meetings in the hope my team can pull something out of the bag . As I said im no fan but that's the way the league is set up so we have to live with it .

NO WE DON'T!!!

If enough people complain to the 'powers that be' then we, as Customers should have the ability to change things......

or

We can walk away - AND A HELL OF A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY DONE THAT!!!

Remember - this is Speedway and the top Management of the Sport in general do NOT have a good track record of looking after their Fan Base. Far better to brown nose SKY for CASH and do exactly what they (SKY) ask than consider the loyal Supporters who have supported the Sport for years. They should remember

SKY CASH IS TEMPORARY - SUPPORTERS CASH CAN, TO A POINT, BE RELIED UPON.

In pandering to SKY - the Sport does itself no favours.

• Like 1

TWK, this statement makes no sense. The Premier League play-offs are NOT televised. There are play-offs in the Premier League, because the Premier League promoters want them, because they are good for business.

All the best

Rob

Yes, but, as I have already said elsewhere, the Play-offs were originally brought in because Sky said they would be televised, but then 'changed their minds.'

I can see no reason, other than the point you make, why they should now be scrapped, i.e., unless the PL want to keep them.

Of course the promoters want to keep them.

Because they make money.

Which is rare enough these days.

Yes - right.

Hang tha Sport - go for the MONEY.

People drifting away from Speedway in droves, a lot because of credibility problems. So yes let's make money from the Play Offs and s*d the Sport for the rest of the year.

Unless, of course, EVERY Team from National, Premier and Elite Leagues gets a cut of the 'Play Off' money.

None of this though, invalidates the argument that the Play Off System is UNFAIR and IMMORAL. It does not matter from which angle that you look at it - THAT is a FACT!!!

Yes - right.

People drifting away from Speedway in droves,

None of this though, invalidates the argument that the Play Off System is UNFAIR and IMMORAL.

But many turn up for the play offs..so in brings the droves back

Speedway is unfair a lot of the time,crap tracks...good tracks...get done by guests......re can work for some and not others, etc etc

I've seen two play offs recently at Scunny....Saints MIldenhall in 2011, quite brilliant entertainment.....and last year against Somerset,right down to the last few metres of the last lap of the last race....can you get better??

Yes - right.

People drifting away from Speedway in droves, a lot because of credibility problems. So yes let's make money from the Play Offs and s*d the Sport for the rest of the year.

Unless, of course, EVERY Team from National, Premier and Elite Leagues gets a cut of the 'Play Off' money.

None of this though, invalidates the argument that the Play Off System is UNFAIR and IMMORAL. It does not matter from which angle that you look at it - THAT is a FACT!!!

While I don't disagree with the sentiment, which you've expressed ad nauseum, unfairness and immorality are matters of opinion - they can't be facts. And please stop using capitals, it's the discussion forum equivalent of shouting.