British Speedway Forum

Pl Play-offs

To be fair it is a little academic as we really should have picked up more points to take us comfortably into the play off's. Lets look forward to some challenge matches and watch Redcar's pain from afar :t: Couldn't be helped but Edberg and Nemo's injuries have cost us. Lets wait and see what happens in the winter although I do hope if we have a PL and EL we go PL, can't see it but, then again I've never supported an EL team to be honest so I may even like it. :party:

I doubt it. :blink: :blink:

Whats all the winging about, Lions had more fixtures than the Bears so should have had more points, I suppose we will never hear the last of the next bit of news, Richard the 3rd is leaving Leicester and coming up north to York, so looks like you Midlanders are losing in two battles. By the way we let you take 7 points of us so the league finishing positions were much tighter than they could have been :mad:

Whats all the winging about, Lions had more fixtures than the Bears so should have had more points, I suppose we will never hear the last of the next bit of news, Richard the 3rd is leaving Leicester and coming up north to York, so looks like you Midlanders are losing in two battles. By the way we let you take 7 points of us so the league finishing positions were much tighter than they could have been :mad:

I hope you are right about this RPG. A Yorkist Monarch SHOULD have his tomb in a Yorkist City. :t::approve: :approve: :approve:

CORRECT!!!

But this is what you get when you have a pathetic Play Off System that, sometimes, ROBS the TRUE League Champions of their TITLE. (If Newcastle were to win it this year I would say EXACTLY the same).

Somerset ARE League Champions - they were top of the League at the end of the Fixtures ...But they get a Trophy this year that will make it ok..- why the hell should they have to go out and WIN the whole damned thing again. As I say - PATHETIC!!!

It IS wrong, it is VERY wrong - but that is Speedway today.

You could have said that as though you meant it!!

Edited by seanmuffe

CORRECT!!!

But this is what you get when you have a pathetic Play Off System that, sometimes, ROBS the TRUE League Champions of their TITLE. (If Newcastle were to win it this year I would say EXACTLY the same).

Somerset ARE League Champions - they were top of the League at the end of the Fixtures - why the hell should they have to go out and WIN the whole damned thing again. As I say - PATHETIC!!!

It IS wrong, it is VERY wrong - but that is Speedway today.

I do agree with you, although I do hear the arguments regarding keeping the season alive for more clubs and the crowd pulling revenue of play off matches helping the clubs involved financially.

Maybe a compromise of labelling the team that finishes top of the table, PL Champions, and then the top 6 qualifying teams competing for another trophy such as the PL cup/shield.

• Like 1

We finished 3rd in the league and find ourselves in Somerset's Group:

Somerset

Newcastle

Redcar

Somerset obviously fancy their chances against the Diamonds, well it might just be a bad decision to pick us? or will the unfancied Redcar Bears cause the other two problems?

What do you think?

Although the Somerset Mnagement have picked the two aformentioned clubs, i doubt very much they will take anything for Granted..

Although the Somerset Mnagement have picked the two aformentioned clubs, i doubt very much they will take anything for Granted..

Agree and would add that none of the six clubs involved should be written off, as they all have demonstrated during the Season that they can produce excellent performances home and away.

Edited by cyclone
  • Like 1

Didn't a prem team have a fixture last season on the same day as rhe plrc? Or was I dreaming.....?

Newcastle rode at home against Workington because I remember Rene Bach missed meeting because he had crashed at PLRC but think this was done as the PLRC was being restaged after original meeting had been abandoned

Whoever wins the final deserves it, teams have know since first day winning it means nothing - most sports go down this route now, being stuck in the dark ages wont help the sport.

What the hell difference does that make. Knowing doesn't make it RIGHT or WRONG. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :nono:

The fact that they exist at all is wrong. :mad: :mad:

To be fair though if you took Leicester's last match off so you had both ridden 23 matches each.Leicester would then be in the play-offs.Crazy eh.

To be fair though if you took Leicester's last match off so you had both ridden 23 matches each.Leicester would then be in the play-offs.Crazy eh.

Er NO!!

It's the Rules. If you have to have crazy Play Offs, you have to have crazy Rules. :blink:

• Like 2

Er NO!!

It's the Rules. If you have to have crazy Play Offs, you have to have crazy Rules. :blink:

No I don't mean it is fair to do it that way.What I meant is if say Leicester's last meeting was called off and couldn't get the re-staging before the cut off date they would have been in sixth.

Whoever wins the final deserves it, teams have know since first day winning it means nothing - most sports go down this route now, being stuck in the dark ages wont help the sport.

Only those that sell themselves for Sky money, the no1 game in the world would never entertain it. The Rebels are champions already in my book...

• Like 1

Doesn't really matter we beat you easy both home and away.

Redcar have got about as much chance of winning it, as Plymouth have of signing Darcy Ward next year.

Edited by nightshift

the only difference being that other sports arnt dictated by the weather, they play in all weathers or indoors..... Speedway is in the lap of the gods mostly.

Other sports make sure ALL fixtures are completed also.

Newcastle finished 3rd in the league and find ourselves in Somerset's Group:

Somerset

Newcastle

Redcar

Somerset obviously fancy their chances against the Diamonds, well it might just be a bad decision to pick us? or will the unfancied Redcar Bears cause the other two problems?

What do you think?

Clearly, Somerset's first pick would've been Redcar, with Ipswich then selecting Workington for their group. For the last pick, there was only Edinburgh and Newcastle in the hat, so who would you honestly expect Somerset to pick?

I suspect Ipswich would've done the same if they'd had first pick.

Only those that sell themselves for Sky money, the no1 game in the world would never entertain it. The Rebels are champions already in my book...

If by "The No 1 game in the world" you mean football, they have play-offs to get into every division in England and Scotland, don't they?

If you mean baseball (which probably is No 1) they have had play-offs since 1903.