British Speedway Forum

Latvian Gp Saturday 17th August

What has Hancock done to his engine lol, he's miles ahead out the traps...staggeringly far ahead in fact...:)

Did anyone else spot his rear wheel spinning before the tapes went up?
  • Like 1

Did anyone else spot his rear wheel spinning before the tapes went up?

Marek didn't. Thats why he's so good and at one one time was even banned by his own federation! 'Cos HE'S SO GOOD! EDIT: I have to say it, cant let it be...<removed>

Have to say, I've watched a number of GPs on-line this year, and this was easily the most exciting - top draw dirt-track racing at its best, lots of passing, great crowd. I would say it had as much as all the other GPs in total I've watched this year. Sets up 1st and 3rd place battle quite nicely. Congrats to Herbie, ever the pro. If he delivers the same standard for the rest of the GPs he _could_ possibly sneak a podium place, but it's a big ask.

Well done to Tai, It was a pity Lebedevs slipped up and let Ward into the final, it spoiled the night for me. ...I think Tai did let Pedersen through but am not bothered about that....

Edited by dornier
  • Like 1

ONLY rider on Golden Tyres ... bet their phone lines will be buzzing next week

I bet PUK wished he had that grip on that first bend. Fair play to Grin, the consummate professional. If he's up for it, Tomasz is still in the best position to finish in the top 8. A part of me feels he couldn't give a toss anymore though…

JT.

Good GP. Cracking races. Worthy winner, Darcy the most exciting and tai leading. Doesn't get much better. Tai better win it this year though as a fit Darcy would likely have won it this time around.

Steve, Ward would've been up there, no doubt. However his fall at Ullevi was his own doing. He's acknowledged he was over riding in the lead up to that crash and says he has learnt his lesson (although you'd never believe it watching THAT final!).

My point is, Tai has taken risks, but he has also used his head this year (take the race SCB mentioned earlier). I have no doubt Darcy will be World Champion in the future, but if Tai wins the WC this season, it's unfair to suggest Darcy would have been the 'real' winner, barring injuries. 

One of my favourite sportsmen, James Hunt (what a character!) won the F1 World Championship, when arguably Lauda was the better driver. At the end of the day, Hunt did everything he needed to win the title. Who is to say if Lauda hadn't crashed at the Nürburgring, Hunt wouldn't have taken more risks in the lead up to his win?

At the end of the day it's points at the end of the year that matter, good on Tai if he wins.

JT.

• Like 3

Right up there as one of the most enjoyable Gp's for a long time.

Everyone to their own. I thought Bydgoszcz was by far the best this season. But there you go "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Regards. Alan.

Not making sense - do you really think he would have had any instruction from Pete Adams other than to ensure that he finished behind Pedersen, that was the important thing, points were not paramount at that time, the chance to put Emil out of the meeting was. That's why he looked for him, that's why he let him past, that's why he poodled around in 3rd place. Which part of that makes no sense?

Did they not say in the commentary that Adams wasn't with him at this GP?

As for "points were not paramount at that time"...Have you completely missed the way that the GP series standings are decided? Every single point counts. Yes, ensuring that Emil didn't have a chance to score more points on the night was important, but scoring less points yourself when it isn't required is just as important, if not more important.

Edited by HenryW