British Speedway Forum

Scunthorpe V Berwick - Friday, August 2nd (7.30pm)

I read Berwicks statement, and fingers crossed he is in the best place receiving the best possible care.

I read on here that some fans cheered at his crash, I doubt these fans realised the severity of this. Personally I never cheer a crash. For me I have seen the most innocuous crash be serious.

But speedway fans in general are not malicious people. I travel and have travelled the country and met great opposition fans. I have never met one who took pleasure in seeing a rider hurt.

I hope Ricky is ok. This is not about speedway anymore, it's a guys life. When this happens we all know British speedway stands as one and wishes Ricky well. Get well mate

• Like 5

I read on here that some fans cheered at his crash, I doubt these fans realised the severity of this. Personally I never cheer a crash. For me I have seen the most innocuous crash be serious.

I think that is an important point,Ricky's crash,although nasty,didn't seem as bad as it has ended up,his speed had already been scrubbed off before the bike high sided him,I still can't get my head around how it happened,just shows sometimes it takes very little to cause such awfull things

Finger crossed for better new from the hospital and the day goes on

In regards to the coming together between himself and David Howe on the previous lap,nothing nasty in that at all,pure clash of bike during racing,nothing more,

• Like 1

First thought's are with Ricky Ashworth & family and seriously wishing for rhe right outcome.

Secondly, Scunthorpe supporter's should have a right to reply regarding abusive insults directed at Ashworth after the accident.

Was it just one or a few?

Somebody on here will know them. These people should hang their head in shame if they remain silent as these fans / fan should be reported and suspended from Scunthorpe Speedway.

Best wishes Ricky fella, don't give up

First of all best wishes on a speedy recovery to Ricky.

In response to your question & hopefully to put this discussion to bed...I was in the stand where 1 (one) person said something derogatory, he was quckly shouted at by at least 10 people, all of them probably Scunthorpe fans. Theres always one person who doesnt think before speaking.

I think that is an important point,Ricky's crash,although nasty,didn't seem as bad as it has ended up,his speed had already been scrubbed off before the bike high sided him,I still can't get my head around how it happened,just shows sometimes it takes very little to cause such awfull things

Don't forget he's just returned from head injures.

I'd just like to say Thank you to the people of Scunthorpe speedway who offered help, words of kindness and support to the shocked Berwick fans last night following our Ricky's horrific crash. We all have numpties at our tracks but they are by far outweighed by the rest of our terrific Speedway Family which I'm proud to be a part of.

• Like 1

I was standing on the back straight where i heard people cheering. I put this down to a bit of fun, like in panto, but as soon as Ricky got flicked off my wife and i could tell that it was not going to be good and these people who i imagine were seasoned attendies should have realised the same.

Although Ricky has ridden for Sheffield against Berwick and was sometimes classed as a bit of a panto villan in the past, he has been taken into the Berwick clan and is now one of us. He is also part of the greater speedway family and everybody wishes him and his family all the best. We want to see him back up and about asap and giving his punch bag in the berwick pits what for.

People shout things in the heat of the moment most of us dont im sure the fan that shouted wishes he didnt and is praying rickys ok like everyone else. one of these moments when you pray to a god when you dont even believe in one...he makes a full recovery.

Prayer is never wasted.

I hope and pray the Ricky can get through this OK.

That's the same reason i have never ever cheered a crash. You repeatedly see in all forms of motor sport the most spectacular and horrendous looking crashes where the rider or driver walks away without a scratch. Then, also as in normal life, what seems to be a minor/safe fall (although i understand Ricky's wasn't) there can be dreadful or fatal outcomes.

Edited by manchesterpaul

Only saying on Thursday how I was looking forward to seeing Ricky back in a Tigers race jacket for the Newcastle & Glasgow meetings. He was brilliant in the GB v Australia test the previous week. Back in Top form and now this. Well this guy is a real fighter on the track and I'm sure he'll be giving it 100% in hospital.

Come on Rickster we need you back at Sheffield next year! Here's hoping and praying for a full recovery.

just started 3 weeks off work today and was looking forward to the gp a curry and bottle of wine but this news has knocked me for six.no connection with ricky at all but just shows how close the speedway family is with the previous comments. thoughts and prayers go out to ricky

• Like 1

I am keeping tabs on Ricky's wellbeing throgh twitter & other snippets but the nature of the accident was due to Ricky using the wide line on bend 4(got 18 pt max before, riding wide) but seemed to shut off as nearing the fence causing him to go over the handlebars & twisting in mid air, looking like his back or head might hit the fence first(the air bags he had just passed). We have had numerous serious injuries at this point in the past as it is a downward stretch coming out of the corner. It must be hard tonight for the riders of most teams competing tonight, more so, Scorpions & the Bandits. A swift recovery is hoped for Ricky as he is in the best place, locally, at Hull Royal Infirmary.

That's the same reason i have never ever cheered a crash. You repeatedly see in all forms of motor sport the most spectacular and horrendous looking crashes where the rider or driver walks away without a scratch. Then, also as in normal life, what seems to be a minor/safe fall (although i understand Ricky's wasn't) there can be dreadful or fatal outcomes.

Well that's it. I saw Neil Hewitt suffer terrible injuries with a crash that didn't look as bad as I have seen, it caused life changing injuries for Neil. Look I know that those who did cheer in no way wanted this outcome. That's what makes speedway fans different from other sports, we stand side by side and appreciate other teams riders. Look, I think we just need to move on. The Scunthorpe fans and club itself are thoroughly decent folks and lets not label them something they are not.

Lets all focus on Ricky. Lets hope he can continue to improve. I don't know anyone in the speedway world sending anything but positive messages to Ricky. Get well mate; I'm sure I speak for many on here.

• Like 7

Well that's it. I saw Neil Hewitt suffer terrible injuries with a crash that didn't look as bad as I have seen, it caused life changing injuries for Neil. Look I know that those who did cheer in no way wanted this outcome. That's what makes speedway fans different from other sports, we stand side by side and appreciate other teams riders. Look, I think we just need to move on. The Scunthorpe fans and club itself are thoroughly decent folks and lets not label them something they are not.

Lets all focus on Ricky. Lets hope he can continue to improve. I don't know anyone in the speedway world sending anything but positive messages to Ricky. Get well mate; I'm sure I speak for many on here.

Echo all these comments, I have seen the jeers and cheers all over the country when the opposition falls, not really malice more the other teams good fortune. Its not right but it happens.

Hope Ricky makes a full recovery and is back to entertain all speedway fans in the non too distant future.

• Like 1