British Speedway Forum

Italian Gp Saturday 3rd August

BLISTERINGLY hot here for practice today ... around 39c. Most had wilted by the end. Would love to say that Terenzano track looked any better but that wouldn't be true. It will be baked again tomorrow. Greg Hancock practising on new tyres ... GP riders now have a choice of three.

Incidentally, he confirmed that he is 'legal' and will be at Poole on Monday.

BLISTERINGLY hot here for practice today ... around 39c. Most had wilted by the end. Would love to say that Terenzano track looked any better but that wouldn't be true. It will be baked again tomorrow. Greg Hancock practising on new tyres ... GP riders now have a choice of three.

Incidentally, he confirmed that he is 'legal' and will be at Poole on Monday.

All Barum ??

Excellent news that a pub is showing it and i hope your post brings along a few extra people which in turn encourages the landlord to show more speedway.

Only mystifying aspect is why a disco with music from some THIRTY years ago! One of the biggest criticisms of some speedway tracks is that they play really old music. Don't see how tracks that do that, or pubs, hope to attract a younger crowd, something that the sport is in desperate need of for it to carry on into the future.

My local shows the speedway and i know of others nearby who will put it on if asked , even know one landlord who upped his sky contract to get British Eurosport.

My local shows the speedway and i know of others nearby who will put it on if asked , even know one landlord who upped his sky contract to get British Eurosport.

Not asking you for the name of the pub lol but whereabouts in the country is it? Is it in a city centre or out in the wilds? Is it popular and busy and they normally bow to the demand for football, cricket etc. or is it a very small local where there are few customers so no rebellion when the speedway is turned on? You say others nearby will show speedway is it a speedway town?

Just wondering on all the above only any pub i've been in in Manchester whenever the speedway came on the channel was instantly changed to one of the same old same old traditional ball sports.

Glad the GP's are back on the calendar but this one is a joke and should never be held here as the riders hate the track and you can get more in at Monmore Green and I dont think it has ever sold out ..... so why do they use it ?

Gating will be important but a good top end speed could safe some so I'm going for Tomasz, Tai, Darcy, Emil and Nicki as the riders that may provide some entertainment ..... (doing Kareoke at the interval) ...... however I'm having a small flutter on Greg Hancock to win this one before he heads back to British racing

Glad the GP's are back on the calendar but this one is a joke and should never be held here as the riders hate the track and you can get more in at Monmore Green and I dont think it has ever sold out ..... so why do they use it ?

Gating will be important but a good top end speed could safe some so I'm going for Tomasz, Tai, Darcy, Emil and Nicki as the riders that may provide some entertainment ..... (doing Kareoke at the interval) ...... however I'm having a small flutter on Greg Hancock to win this one before he heads back to British racing

Have we ever really had an answer to that question?

In my cynical moments.

I'd wondered if Mr Bellamy had a holiday retreat in Northern Italy, or perhaps over the border in Slovenia.

And with the weather being so good at this time of year it 'just seemed a shame to waste it'.

Edited by Grand Central

I would guess because they pay well in Terenzano.

I would guess because they pay well in Terenzano.

Yes, I suppose 'they' must.

But who are 'they'.

We all know about the 'Tourist Information' deals that finance the SGP going to Gorzow, Torun and Cardiff because of the endless promotions.

And we are well aware of promoters like Bill Buckley and Mr Pavlic who stand full square behind their bids.

But can't remember any particular 'moneybags' from Terenzano.

THE Italian GP is run by BSI themselves in conjunction with a little support from the local council. There is a perceived value to BSI of having Italy on the calendar.

They are actually putting some new material on the Terenzano track today. Not expecting a racing feast, especially as it is almost 40c here today, but might be a tad better than usual. Not holding my breath, however.

Difficult to glean anything from practice but Hancock looked very good, is obviously fully recovered from the knock that affected him for a while, and might be worth a small wager.

THE Italian GP is run by BSI themselves in conjunction with a little support from the local council. There is a perceived value to BSI of having Italy on the calendar.

Thanks.

Good to get more info, as always.

Just a little intrigued then.

Many people seem to want to damn BSI for only following the money.

Actually, not me as clearly no one makes any cash out of Terenzano.

So if they perceive some other benefit, do you have any idea what that is?

As it's a bit difficult to work out from here.

And they are sticking to Italy with Lonigo next year too.

Certainly better than Terenzano but it still,looks a little incongruous next to the other venues that are mooted.

BECAUSE it is another country in which the SGP series is staged. They clearly don't make any money coming here but presumably it is all part of the bigger picture.

Seems 99.9 per cent certain Lonigo will be back next year. Slightly better track and in a nicer area of Italy ... Lake Garda only about 30 minutes away!

Tyres: yes this is the first GP in which riders will have a choice of three different tyres from three different manufacturers. The non Mitas tyres have been homologated all year but were not allowed in the SGP because they were not available in sufficient quantities. They are now. They all have to be produced to the same specifications and all tyres, whether those supplied by Mitas or not, have to be handed over to the machine examiners before the meeting, where they are tested (hardness of compound) and then handed back to the riders at the same time as the Mitas ones are released.

Hancock used a Golden Tyre in Sweden on Tuesday and again during the second half of practice yesterday. Will be interesting to see what happens if, for example, he wins using Golden Tyres tonight at the next GP? How many other riders will switch?

The heat could be a major factor tonight. Undoubtedly affects the performances of the bikes and some will get it right and others not.

BECAUSE it is another country in which the SGP series is staged.They clearly don't make any money coming here but presumably it is all part of the bigger picture.

Why not then stage a GP in Outer Mongolia, or maybe move 2 of the 3 Polish GPs to other speedway countries?

I struggle to understand the rationale as to why it's beneficial to have a GP in Italy as they don't really have any riders of note and there's no mainstream interest in speedway in Italy. I also doubt that BSI would deliberately organise a loss-making round in what is a relative backwater in speedway terms (even if Italy was once more prestigious), so it can surely only be down to the money from the local tourist board.

Seems 99.9 per cent certain Lonigo will be back next year. Slightly better track and in a nicer area of Italy ... Lake Garda only about 30 minutes away!

I've not been to Italy before. What is the nearest airport to Lonigo please Phil ?