British Speedway Forum

Italian Gp Saturday 3rd August

I only have about 40 years of sport watching experience and there's very few commentators with the lack of ability of Pearson. In most sports there is at least one stand out commentator and I have rarely watched anything where shoting "wooahh" is the stock phrase used.

LMAO.

But to be fair to Pearson. How many of these other people have less than a minute to describe what's going on?

So it's a little bit unfair to compare what he does with say a football commentator.

I am sure I heard Day say 'wooah' during the Europeans so maybe it is a stock speedway phrase.

At least Nige knows where he is which Day certainly cannot boast. :rofl:

Amazed nobody has mentioned how the win was (almost) gifted to Neils when Zagar picked blue instead of yellow. Not often I swear at the telly, but when that idiot Zagar picked the wrong gate my betting slip went straight in the bin. Well done to Neils for winning it, but he certainly wouldn't have won it had Zagar done the blinkin obvious.

Amazed nobody has mentioned how the win was (almost) gifted to Neils when Zagar picked blue instead of yellow. Not often I swear at the telly, but when that idiot Zagar picked the wrong gate my betting slip went straight in the bin. Well done to Neils for winning it, but he certainly wouldn't have won it had Zagar done the blinkin obvious.

Think I alluded to that in my comment earlier on this thread

It was strange how the higher scoring riders seemed to become befuddled by the limited success of Gate 2 later in the meeting. Yes, Jarek gated from 2 but it probably also put him in the position he found himself in when losing 2nd place to Emil. NKI looked delighted with the more successful outside gate and took advantage. Whilst it would have been good IMO if Tai had won the Final and eroded Emil's lead further, I was pleased for NKI who also appears as a very professional sportsman. The way he went past NP deserved its reward later in the meeting - and to think he was excluded for knocking off Emil and then beat him in the Final. An impressive come back. Good to see Emil take the knock so well, realising that NKI hadn't done it deliberately. Seeing so many smiles on the rostrum was brilliant.

To be fair white was the gate to pick both semis had just been won from there Tais mistake was not going wide enough

He didn't make a mistake. As Philip said it was more important for Tai to keep Emil behind him than Niels, because he's not fighting him for the championship. It's all about scoring more points than your main rival, winning the gp is just a bonus. Ask Mark Loram!

DIDN'T Tai have first pick and went for white? Admitted afterwards that his priority was clamping Emil on the first corner and he achieved that.

All the more reason why Zagar should have picked yellow, Tai was always going to come across, thus leaving a big gap for whoever was in yellow. But for some obscure reason Zagar picked blue.

Edited by spanner47

LMAO.

But to be fair to Pearson. How many of these other people have less than a minute to describe what's going on?

So it's a little bit unfair to compare what he does with say a football commentator.

I am sure I heard Day say 'wooah' during the Europeans so maybe it is a stock speedway phrase.

At least Nige knows where he is which Day certainly cannot boast. :rofl:

At the risk of dragging this out for ever football commentators still have to comment on something that happens in a blink of an eye and there's plenty of them that are not much good at it! At the end of the day we all have our personal preferences, I don't rate Pearson and don't like people telling me to press the mute button so I can't hear him, it kind of ruins the whole event! Tatum I can cope with as he talks some sense and think he would be much better beside somebody else, but as the only recent option was Tony Millard I guess we're stuffed :D

Anybody know anywhere i can watch the GP online etc? I still havent seen it, really wish Eurosport would come up with some kind of "on demand" thingy, if your not home when somethings broad with the online "eurosport player" i have your screwed... (no, no sky etc)

Not asking you for the name of the pub lol but whereabouts in the country is it? Is it in a city centre or out in the wilds? Is it popular and busy and they normally bow to the demand for football, cricket etc. or is it a very small local where there are few customers so no rebellion when the speedway is turned on? You say others nearby will show speedway is it a speedway town?

Just wondering on all the above only any pub i've been in in Manchester whenever the speedway came on the channel was instantly changed to one of the same old same old traditional ball sports.

Oxford, Paul though on the outskirts not many pubs in the citycentre have sky though the ones that do would probably put it on if asked and other pub users didnt mind.My local shows anything and sometimes channel has to be turned over for a couple of minutes to catch a horse race but thats a small price to pay.As for complaints i have never seen anyone moaning about

speedway being on in the various pubs i have seen it.Most seem to be keento watch and see some track action.