British Speedway Forum

Italian Gp Saturday 3rd August

Mr moore calling a commentator or anyone a t*** is very rude and totally uncalled for. If you called me that to my face not on twitter or any other social medium I would chin you. I served for 17 yrs in the marines and hate bullies,why don't you just say mr pearson I don't like you as a commentator. Off for a lie down I am 51 now and shouldn't get too uptight.

• Like 2

I had a chuckle last night when one of the commentators said it was a good crowd. He must have meant behaviour as I have seen a larger crowd at a watching paint dry competition.

Well done PUK and another great performance by Tai.

Mr moore calling a commentator or anyone a t*** is very rude and totally uncalled for. If you called me that to my face not on twitter or any other social medium I would chin you. I served for 17 yrs in the marines and hate bullies,why don't you just say mr pearson I don't like you as a commentator. Off for a lie down I am 51 now and shouldn't get too uptight.

True, but look at Pearson's Twitter, at one time, even construtive feedback was met with sarcastic 'thanks for watching' replies.

• Like 1

WELL said ... bsf would have much more respect if those sort of comments were eliminated. Believe me, working non-stop for over three and a half hours, in extreme heat and with your ears being battered all the time by comments and instructions from the TV truck left them both a little dazed.

• Like 1

Believe me, working non-stop for over three and a half hours, in extreme heat and with your ears being battered all the time by comments and instructions from the TV truck left them both a little dazed.

Oh give me a break Philip. Do you really want us to feel sorry for them because they had to work hard for 3 hours sat watching speedway, talking down a microphone?

I respect a soldier walking for 8+ hours or more in the desert, or the nurses running around looking after patients for several hours at a time, or the helpline volunteers who take emotionally draining calls from suicidal people for several hours at a time etc, etc, but I don't feel sorry for a commentator just because he was stuck in a hot booth for a few hours.

• Like 4

Oh give me a break Philip. Do you really want us to feel sorry for them because they had to work hard for 3 hours sat watching speedway, talking down a microphone?

You don't like them commentating so why not use the 'mute' button on your gogglebox remote control then? Afterall you don't get race commentary at UK speedway matches when you go to watch them in person do you?

Soon after I had arrived in Australia on one of my first winter visits I was asked if I'd mind doing the announcing / commentating at a meeting and whilst the announcing of results etc.etc, I'd done hundreds of times previously, actually commentating on racing ain't easy I can assure you!

• Like 1

You don't like them commentating so why not use the 'mute' button on your gogglebox remote control then? Afterall you don't get race commentary at UK speedway matches when you go to watch them in person do you?

Soon after I had arrived in Australia on one of my first winter visits I was asked if I'd mind doing the announcing / commentating at a meeting and whilst the announcing of results etc.etc, I'd done hundreds of times previously, actually commentating on racing ain't easy I can assure you!

Of course it's easy. get yourself six or seven stock phrases and scream wooahhh whenever anything remotely exciting happens.

• Like 2

Oh for god's sake - it's easy as hell to compare any job to that of a genuine grafter like someone in the army/police/fire service. I work in an office but can't be criticised because it's "easy" compared to that of our armed forces. A couple of the points I've seen on here now are just plain ridiculous when trying to ridicule Pearson and Tatum. I've said it countless times, just watch it with the sound off, or quite simply don't watch it at all.

Whilst I'm on the subject of people being out of order... to the absolute creature who tried to email Pearson just to call him a t**t, please sir, run with scissors.

Edited by Dave_Minall
  • Like 2

The same old arguments, it's a hard job, if you don't like it use the mute. I pay for the channel and would like a decent commentator to enhance my enjoyment, not one who just shouts at me, obviously too much to ask!

• Like 2

The same old arguments, it's a hard job, if you don't like it use the mute. I pay for the channel and would like a decent commentator to enhance my enjoyment, not one who just shouts at me, obviously too much to ask!

Eurosport and Sky are happy with the commentating presented by Pearson/Tatum, otherwise they would have done something a long time ago. They have a clear idea on what they want from them. They have a good production team and anything that they're not a fan of will be nipped in the bud very quickly. I'm sorry to say this but lump it or leave it. If you've got any issues then speak to Eurosport/Sky direct.

• Like 4

THE style of commentary provided by Kelvin and Nigel is exactly what is wanted by those who employ them, whether it be Sky, Eurosport or BSI. Sometimes the actual noise levels are determined by whether they are sitting in a proper insulated box in the stands or, as in EL matches, out in the open where it is very hard for them to make their own judgement with all the ambient noise going on around them.

They also have directors and/or producers literally yelling in one ear with their own commentary coming through the other. Much can depend on who is handling the sound mixing in the TV truck but, as I say, their actual style for want of a better word is dictated by their pay masters. From what evidence is available far more people enjoy than disapprove.

• Like 4

I had a chuckle last night when one of the commentators said it was a good crowd. He must have meant behaviour as I have seen a larger crowd at a watching paint dry competition.

To be honest I don't really know what people are expecting the bloke (Nige) to say. his job is to make a pathetically attended truly boring (race wise) speedway meeting on TV look and sound exciting. He is not an idiot and is very knowledgable about the sport from a fan perspective and knows as well as we do how much of a waste of space the Italian GP really is.

But his employers expect him to bull it up as something decent because they are covering it on TV.

Nige did make a few reasonbly negative comments about the racing putting it into perspective which is about all he can really do.

The Eurosport bloke did not say how bad the crowd was or how awful the racing was either but Nigel Pearson has forgotten more about speedway than Mr Day will ever know.

I have been watching sports on TV now for over 50 years and don't see anything Nige and Kel do that isn't done in pretty much every other sport. They shout and get excited. Big deal.

But one thing they can never be accused of is not knowing the sport inside out from both fan and rider perspective and I would rather have a commentator who knows what he is talking about than someone who doesn't.

I still remember BBC coverage where the commentary went along the lines of 'red, followed by blue with yellow trying to get up the inside'.

• Like 3

He called him a T** not a T***. Splitting hairs possibly but a big difference in the two words I reckon!

• Like 1

Eurosport and Sky are happy with the commentating presented by Pearson/Tatum, otherwise they would have done something a long time ago. They have a clear idea on what they want from them. They have a good production team and anything that they're not a fan of will be nipped in the bud very quickly. I'm sorry to say this but lump it or leave it. If you've got any issues then speak to Eurosport/Sky direct.

Not sure I agree with that, just think they're the best of a bad bunch.

To be honest I don't really know what people are expecting the bloke (Nige) to say. his job is to make a pathetically attended truly boring (race wise) speedway meeting on TV look and sound exciting. He is not an idiot and is very knowledgable about the sport from a fan perspective and knows as well as we do how much of a waste of space the Italian GP really is.

But his employers expect him to bull it up as something decent because they are covering it on TV.

Nige did make a few reasonbly negative comments about the racing putting it into perspective which is about all he can really do.

The Eurosport bloke did not say how bad the crowd was or how awful the racing was either but Nigel Pearson has forgotten more about speedway than Mr Day will ever know.

I have been watching sports on TV now for over 50 years and don't see anything Nige and Kel do that isn't done in pretty much every other sport. They shout and get excited. Big deal.

But one thing they can never be accused of is not knowing the sport inside out from both fan and rider perspective and I would rather have a commentator who knows what he is talking about than someone who doesn't.

I still remember BBC coverage where the commentary went along the lines of 'red, followed by blue with yellow trying to get up the inside'.

I only have about 40 years of sport watching experience and there's very few commentators with the lack of ability of Pearson. In most sports there is at least one stand out commentator and I have rarely watched anything where shoting "wooahh" is the stock phrase used.

• Like 1

SPARE a thought for Nigel Pearson and Kelvin Tatum who were live on the world feed without a single break for over three and a half hours...

Awww bless them and to think they're doing it for the love of the sport and not earning a penny from it too!!.....For goodness sake, they are getting paid good money and travelling the world yet we should feel sorry for them for having to work for 3 1.2 hours NON STOP?!!...poor little darlings!. You (and them) should try getting a job in the real world and being out of the house for 12+ hours each day (and being paid fractions of what these 2 unprofessional "shouters" and "screamers" get) before you start feeling sorry for them! Professional commentators should "commentate", not resort to screaming "Woah" at the top of their voices every time 2 riders get near each other! Thats the sort of stuff that people dragged off the terraces at the last minute to commentate, would resort to yet these 2 have made their careers on it!.Did you ever here Dave Lanning screaming at the top of his voice "woah" once in his whole career, let alone at every time that 2 riders come within a few yards of each other? Sorry for the rant, but these 2 have wound me up for so long now, that stupid comments like "spare a thought for them" has triggered me off!

• Like 2

For those suggesting using the mute button, if there was a facility for sound without commentary then I think that we would be very happy with that, but of course if you mute it, you lose the sound of the bikes etc as well. We just laugh at the Pearson and Tatum "commentary" now and when there is a break between races for grading we tend to channel hop. It's good eurosport took it on, but for us, we would have been happier of those two had'nt come as part of the package, nothing personal to them, we just don't like their style.

Oh for god's sake - it's easy as hell to compare any job to that of a genuine grafter like someone in the army/police/fire service. I work in an office but can't be criticised because it's "easy" compared to that of our armed forces.

Not at all saying that, but we are being asked to feel sorry for two guys stuck in a hot booth watching speedway as some sort of excuse for inane ramblings. Your office work may well be like mine, hard work, and lots of stress, and far more challenging that sat in a hot booth watching speedway.