British Speedway Forum

Italian Gp Saturday 3rd August

VERONA is right for the best airport.

Humphrey, you have obviously never been to this part of Italy. A tourist board! Udine itself is hardly a tourist attraction and Terenzano is just a very small town with a Mayor, two men and a dog, all of whom were at the reception last night! They like the idea of having an international sports event visit their town but have certainly don't pay much for the privilege.

The rationale about coming here maybe difficult to comprehend, I wouldn't argue with that, but no one is throwing money at BSI.

HAVE asked the question a 100 times. The answer is as stated. It fits their schedule and they like having Italy on the calendar. Simples...

Do they like having the sport embarrassed by having the sport's flagship series staged in front of around 3,000 people! It makes speedway look very small-time indeed.

No doubt we'll still have Nigel Pearson proclaiming "they do love their speedway here in Terenzano" and in 'Emperor's New Clothes' style "it's a packed house".

Edited by manchesterpaul

Do they like having the sport embarrassed by having the sport's flagship series staged in front of around 3,000 people! It makes speedway look very small-time indeed.

No doubt we'll still have Nigel Pearson proclaiming "they do love their speedway here in Terenzano" and in 'Emperor's New Clothes' style "it's a packed house".

They'll be bloody embarrassed next weekend when the rival European Championship plays out before a packed house in Togliatti in a splendid facility. Regards. Alan.

HAVE asked the question a 100 times. The answer is as stated. It fits their schedule and they like having Italy on the calendar. Simples...

I'm glad to hear that answer number 97, 98 or 99 wasn't convincing enough to stop you asking just that one more time.

They'll be bloody embarrassed next weekend when the rival European Championship plays out before a packed house in Togliatti in a splendid facility.

Reasonable points to offset the perceived benefit, I would have thought.

It just seems strange for everyone to be getting excuses ready for a poor track and poor crowd when there are venues around the world that would offer so much more on both counts.

But even so I'm primed and ready to have a good night watching.

So here's hoping

Edited by Grand Central

It just seems strange for everyone to be getting excuses ready for a poor track and poor crowd when there are venues around the world that would offer so much more on both counts.

But even so I'm primed and ready to have a good night watching.

So here's hoping

Guessing the thing is that these venues no matter how great a racing track they have simply don't have owners with the dosh to put up?

As ever, i too live in hope and will be watching from the first race to the last hoping to see a good 'un. Great to be able to watch it on tv.

Edited by manchesterpaul

HAVE asked the question a 100 times. The answer is as stated. It fits their schedule and they like having Italy on the calendar.

Maybe they're required by the FIM or television contracts to run a certain number of GPs, possibly in a certain number of countries, and Italy is cheap and cheerful enough to fulfill that requirement?

Maybe they're required by the FIM or television contracts to run a certain number of GPs, possibly in a certain number of countries, and Italy is cheap and cheerful enough to fulfill that requirement?

Yes that's seems so simples that they would have made ever such a good answers to those 100 questions.

But the simples point is.

They weren't given.

Maybe they're hoping to develop a bigger fan base for speedway in Italy as the Italian's are known for their liking of two wheeled motor sports.

Speculate to accumulate!

Has no one heard of the term loss-leader?

FFS It's hardly Phil's fault, yet week after week people on this board shoot the messenger.

I'd refer some posters to the "Why the Animosity" thread in the Discussion section of the forum.

Edited by george.m

Maybe they're hoping to develop a bigger fan base for speedway in Italy as the Italian's are known for their liking of two wheeled motor sports.

Speculate to accumulate!

Has no one heard of the term loss-leader?

I agree entirely that they may have been doing that.

In which case that would have been the simple answer to the question.

That question was one I asked for the first time today.

And Phil has told us that he has asked the same one 100 times before.

So it's hardly me doing the interrogation, is it?

Edited by Grand Central

FFS It's hardly Phil's fault, yet week after week people on this board shoot the messenger.

I don't think anyone really is, but Phil Rising is probably on here to generate some positive publicity for the SGP. That's fine and not unappreciated, but equally why shouldn't people ask pertinent questions or accept everything at face value?

I agree entirely that they may have been doing that.

In which case that would have been the simple answer to the question.

That question was one I asked for the first time today.

And Phil has told us that he has asked the same one 100 times before.

So it's hardly me doing the interrogation, is it?

Who said you were?

I don't think anyone really is, but Phil Rising is probably on here to generate some positive publicity for the SGP. That's fine and not unappreciated, but equally why shouldn't people ask pertinent questions or accept everything at face value?

HA, every GP forum members question PR as if he's the BSI spokesperson. I have seen previous threads where folks cross the line with him. He is a journalist and is good enough to respond, inform and explain. We're lucky to have him on here. He doesn't need to. He is not BSI as some infer by their posts. If they have an issue with SGP (which I have no problem with) write to them.

HA, every GP forum members question PR as if he's the BSI spokesperson.

I don't know what his current relationship with BSI is, but he certainly has been directly involved with them in the past, and don't Pinegen do the GP programmes?

We're lucky to have him on here.

Yes, the old 'we should be grateful for everything in speedway' argument. ;)

The Star showed general disdain for the Internet until the SGP had a run of poor publicity, and then suddenly 'a source close to BSI' starts participating on here. I therefore don't think we're lucky, although I'm not unappreciative of his involvement on here.

Holy lambert leathers FFS the meet hasn't even bleeding started and yet all the knives are out. Its in italy its on tv get over it and have a good fume and moan after. Me ill be watching it with wife ,5 friends and the pooch. Plenty of cakes ,wine and chocolate and speedway on the box nothing to complain about. I M O.

I don't know what his current relationship with BSI is, but he certainly has been directly involved with them in the past, and don't Pinegen do the GP programmes?

Yes, the old 'we should be grateful for everything in speedway' argument. ;)

The Star showed general disdain for the Internet until the SGP had a run of poor publicity, and then suddenly 'a source close to BSI' starts participating on here. I therefore don't think we're lucky, although I'm not unappreciative of his involvement on here.

WRONG ... my first involvement with the bsf was when many lies were being told about Speedway Star and its ownership. I wanted to put those lies to bed and have always said that I enjoy reading people's opinions, and sometimes challenge them with my own, but when facts are blatantly distorted grow a life of their own they need to be corrected.

I have never denied either my own involvement with BSI nor that of Pinegen and, yes, we do produce a number of SGP programmes and do other work on their behalf, all of which helps us to maintain the number of pages that we produce for SS every year.

However, after all these years I am quite capable of making up my own mind and express what is my personal opinion. I am not involved with the day-to-day content of SS although as Managing Editor and Managing Director of Pinegen I am still very much involved with the running of the company, although at nearly 68 years of age pretty much take a back seat.

I enjoy being able to supply some information to members of the bsf on an instant basis whereas in the old days I might have preferred to keep things back for SS ... but it is a very different world now. I like the banter that we can have on here but as with many get frustrated when it degenerates into something far less constructive.

Anyway, it is now only 20 minutes to the start of the Italian GP, the sun is a little less powerful and the track does look a little different. Money still on Greg...

• Like 1