British Speedway Forum

Berwick V Glasgow Tigers (27 July - Pl)

should be an easy win for the guys in black and gold , but with Berwick you never know we've been known to struggle against the supposed weaker teams , but I still think the guys will get the job done . Unfortunately I'll miss this one as I'm currently on holiday on my annual summer speedway tour

Sadly for Glasgow their sun hasnt excatly shone brightly on their away trips this season,if Berwick have anything about them they will defeat the Tigers quite significantly,no excuses,just a big home win.

Will it be a guest for Screen or has his broken finger healed? Think I'd prefer a guest, regardless Berwick to win by 25+.

Will it be a guest for Screen or has his broken finger healed? Think I'd prefer a guest, regardless Berwick to win by 25+.

I agree with you on the score,but I hope Screen will be at Berwick come saturday,it will be the last time to see him for most Berwick fans.

If he is there Im sure the club will allow him to do a lap by himself after his fourth ride,or his fifth should he be in Ht15.

I agree with you on the score,but I hope Screen will be at Berwick come saturday,it will be the last time to see him for most Berwick fans.

If he is there Im sure the club will allow him to do a lap by himself after his fourth ride,or his fifth should he be in Ht15.

Grieves last match at Berwick also.

Good luck to the bandits on saturday and also for both sets of riders for a safe meeting, sadly having to miss this meeting as i am on holiday but should be a comfortable win for the bandits.

I'm asked to post the following, from the club website. It seems matters are in hand to honour Joe and James as they wave good-bye

Berwick’s speedway Bandits – sponsored in 2013 by New Holland Agriculture – are aiming to bounce back onto the victory track on Saturday (27th) as Glasgow Tigers (2011 Premier League champions) come to town.

“We lost a nail-biter with Redcar Bears a fortnight ago -- by a single point!” said Berwick team boss Ian Rae.

“That was then, this is now – and despite the Tigers being captained by the great Joe Screen, and tracking a brand-new Danish teenage starlet called Anders Thomsen, be assured we are going for a big win this weekend!”

Joe Screen, was World U-21 Champion in 1993, British Champion in 1994 and 2004, a Grand Prix regular for six years and led his Tigers to the league title less than two years ago.

Now 40, Joe has announced his retirement from the sport, meaning that Saturday night will be Berwick’s last chance to salute one of the UK’s true greats of speedway – alongside his team-mate James Grieves, acknowledged as Scotland’s No 1 rider, and another of the sport’s great servants who will be calling a halt to his career this autumn.

“We will make sure both Joe and James get a proper send-off on Saturday night,” promised Berwick director/promoter John Anderson. “But only after we’ve made sure their Tigers are on the wrong end of a proper thumping!”

As Screen and Grieves bow out, it will be a Berwick debut for Glasgow’s new recruit Anders Thomsen.

The Danish prospect is just 19, was 80cc World Champion in 2010 and currently plies his trade in the top leagues in Denmark and Germany but has not previously raced in Britain.

However, Tigers’ management have high hopes for Thomsen after seeing him take the scalps of Polish Grand Prix wild card Bartosz Zmarzlik and 2014 GP series hopeful Vaclav Milik in the European Under 21 Team Championship in Poland.

For Bandits, with their Dane Nicki Barrett still nursing a shoulder injury, 17-year-old Adam Ellis – a very hot prospect, who represents Britain despite being born in Marmande, France – steps in as cover in the reserve berth.

Saturday’s teams will line up:

Berwick: 1. Ricky Ashworth, 2. David Bellego, 3. Robin Aspegren, 4. Matty Wethers, 5. Kozza Smith (captain), 6. Adam Ellis (guest), 7. Paul Starke.

Glasgow: 1. Joe Screen, 2. Andre Compton, 3. Henning Bager, 4. Anders Thomsen, 5. James Grieves, 6. Joey Ringwood, 7. Joe Jacobs.

Just received the newsletter. States the promotion intend to announce exciting team news in the next 24 hours, just waiting on BSPA ratification. Would we need BSPA ratification if we were merely extending Andres contract, or does this mean another new rider?

Just received the newsletter. States the promotion intend to announce exciting team news in the next 24 hours, just waiting on BSPA ratification. Would we need BSPA ratification if we were merely extending Andres contract, or does this mean another new rider?

Chazzer Wright at reserve for Jacobs or Ringwood?