British Speedway Forum

£10 Sport?

One Big League £10.00 Admission £5.00 under 15 Free under 5 , Accross the board , Promoters Must pay the Riders Accordingly, If they cant agree terms then Dont Ride , Another rider will , The racing will be great, Crowds will be in, Atmosphere will return, and we can all enjoy our speedway.

Speedway could never run on £10 admission. That is completely silly. Take the 20% VAT off that and that brings the take down to £8.34. I pay more that that for a chinese Takeaway.

I am going to see Essex v England in a Cricket match at Chelmsford. next monday Admission price £30. My tennis club has 2 tickets for Number One court at Wimbledon on Saturday , £100 the two, two tickets for next Thursday on Centre Court, £200, Dearest tickets to watch Arsenal next season £121 a match. £50 to see the Golf open. £25 to see the Premier Dart League.

• Like 2

Beluga Caviar costs £71 for 30g whereas Baked Beans are 50p a can.

A Hollywood blockbuster costs 200 million dollars to make but Hollyoaks can be bashed together for £2.50.

The girl at the hairdressers across the road thinks she is a dead ringer for Holly Willoughby. She isn't.

We can all make outlandish comparisions.

But who does it help?

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

Speedway could never run on £10 admission. That is completely silly. Take the 20% VAT off that and that brings the take down to £8.34. I pay more that that for a chinese Takeaway.

I am going to see Essex v England in a Cricket match at Chelmsford. next monday Admission price £30. My tennis club has 2 tickets for Number One court at Wimbledon on Saturday , £100 the two, two tickets for next Thursday on Centre Court, £200, Dearest tickets to watch Arsenal next season £121 a match. £50 to see the Golf open. £25 to see the Premier Dart League.

and about 10% of the crowd of those events wont pay a penny . if you work for the right people you can go to these events for free but someone has got to pay for these freebies and thats the likes of me and you
  • Like 1

and about 10% of the crowd of those events wont pay a penny . if you work for the right people you can go to these events for free but someone has got to pay for these freebies and thats the likes of me and you

If you follow what the guy from Meridian Lifts says on here, then it's pretty much the same at Cardiff if you are in 'The Know'.

Edited by Grand Central

but none of those things you mention have trouble attracting spectators so its actually you argument that is silly

ok maybe not 10 but no more than 12

but none of those things you mention have trouble attracting spectators so its actually you argument that is silly

ok maybe not 10 but no more than 12

Then the need is to fix the sport to make it attractive; I can afford £15 to attend but won't as my local track has a crap stadium, with crap facilities, crap racing..... need I go on. I'm happy to lash out £90 5/6 times a year to watch premiership football and will spend similar amount to attend the theatre and ballet, all are expensive but good value as they are entertaining. I'm also happy to travel a few times a year to a good speedway track that provides entertaining racing and pleasant surroundings. With Hotel that costs me £110 a go.

To make something attractive to people you need to sell the benefits and if people buy in to the benefits the price becomes less of an issue.

• Like 1

But if the chap only goes to two fewer meetings over the year then the overall take for the promotion will be £10 LESS.

These are scary numbers if you get them wrong.

That is exactly right. Ironically in my case as costs kept increasing my spend per annum on speedway decreased slowly to zilch. At one time all the family home and away before wife and daughter stopped, then the away trips got binned before selected home matches only onto nothing at all.

The promoters seem happy enough with falling attendances, content in the knowledge that a few lost fans can be accounted for by upping admission. It is the policy which has brought us to £20.00 speedway today (inc programme) I dread to think how much the last few dozen fans at the track will be paying!!

Edited by Oldace
  • Like 1

As mentioned elsewhere, a Promoter's attitude that you can simply increase the cost to the fans is unsustainable. There are few enough hard core fans left and everybody is on a tight budget these days - especially Mom Dad and three kid families. Old Ace said that people have to cut back on meetings as the prices rise and that is a fact.

Whether it's £10 or £12 will have to take account of what the riders' outgoings are and at Elite League level you have international travel, mechanics dotted around Europe and the highest spec machinery you can get to pay for. Fact of the matter is that those costs have to be cut.

If the Sky money goes any notion of an Elite League (if that is what it still is) goes with it but that doesn't mean that we lose quality racing! The one thing that really surprised me with Dudley when the Heathens came back was how good some of these kids actually are; and even mistakes are entertaining.

Speedway is an entertainment industry and there is no doubt in my mind that the entertainment level in National League racing is as high as in the higher Leagues - it just happens to be about a second a lap slower.

We have to find a way of reducing costs and making it viable for the riders and affordable for the fans.

Whilst you cannot ban the foreigners (like we did with the Swedes in the 70's) you can refuse to pay the air fairs. If they want to come it's down to them and if not there are English riders around to take their places, especially if you were to reduce to six man teams.

There will have to be a lot of head scratching in the Winter and I see the sport moving down a notch in Britain. Once fans get used to the new level of racing and especially the new prices thay will still be there in my opinion.

Between £6 and £10 in Poland and the stadiums are packed! - Sunday to the perfect day for an afternoon at speedway :-)

Indeed, almost double the cost it is here, pretty soon they will be in deep sh!t unless they get a grip fast

Between £6 and £10 in Poland and the stadiums are packed! - Sunday to the perfect day for an afternoon at speedway :-)

Indeed and to add to that petrol is so cheap in Poland as well.How do they do it?

• Like 1

As mentioned elsewhere, a Promoter's attitude that you can simply increase the cost to the fans is unsustainable. There are few enough hard core fans left and everybody is on a tight budget these days - especially Mom Dad and three kid families. Old Ace said that people have to cut back on meetings as the prices rise and that is a fact.

Whether it's £10 or £12 will have to take account of what the riders' outgoings are and at Elite League level you have international travel, mechanics dotted around Europe and the highest spec machinery you can get to pay for. Fact of the matter is that those costs have to be cut.

If the Sky money goes any notion of an Elite League (if that is what it still is) goes with it but that doesn't mean that we lose quality racing! The one thing that really surprised me with Dudley when the Heathens came back was how good some of these kids actually are; and even mistakes are entertaining.

Speedway is an entertainment industry and there is no doubt in my mind that the entertainment level in National League racing is as high as in the higher Leagues - it just happens to be about a second a lap slower.

We have to find a way of reducing costs and making it viable for the riders and affordable for the fans.

Whilst you cannot ban the foreigners (like we did with the Swedes in the 70's) you can refuse to pay the air fairs. If they want to come it's down to them and if not there are English riders around to take their places, especially if you were to reduce to six man teams.

There will have to be a lot of head scratching in the Winter and I see the sport moving down a notch in Britain. Once fans get used to the new level of racing and especially the new prices thay will still be there in my opinion.

Really good post don't know about 6 man teams? but the rest spot on.
  • Like 1

. In the county cricket league last season , the highest county attendance was under 40,000 and the lowest was 10,000. That was for a whole season. No wonder Lancashire lost £2,500,000 last season. So where do you get idea from that Cricket does not have trouble attracting spectators . County cricket is only being kept alive from the test match revenue that each county receives and even that is falling. Unlike Speedway that receives nothing now from the Grand Prix's unlike yesteryear when the world finals at Wembley were shared out amongst the UK clubs. The UK promoters should give the riders a choice either GP speedway or European speedway. The profits from the GP's should go to Speedway not to a commercial company
  • Like 2

Unlike Speedway that receives nothing now from the Grand Prix's unlike yesteryear when the world finals at Wembley were shared out amongst the UK clubs. The UK promoters should give the riders a choice either GP speedway or European speedway. The profits from the GP's should go to Speedway not to a commercial company

Trouble with this argument is,it was all ok when the world final was held every year at Wembley.Then there was money to share out.Once the final was shared around then it was only held once every 4 or 5 years in Gb and then no longer at Wembley.The money wasn't quite the same was it?And if the BSPA was still running the British GP then it might just possibly be held at Coventry or Poole and there wouldn't be much money to share out either.And of course you wouldn't expect the Poles to share their money with everyone,so it would be a British Gp run by the BSPA..........oh yeah,loadsa money to share out i don't think

. In the county cricket league last season , the highest county attendance was under 40,000 and the lowest was 10,000. That was for a whole season. No wonder Lancashire lost £2,500,000 last season. So where do you get idea from that Cricket does not have trouble attracting spectators . County cricket is only being kept alive from the test match revenue that each county receives and even that is falling. Unlike Speedway that receives nothing now from the Grand Prix's unlike yesteryear when the world finals at Wembley were shared out amongst the UK clubs. The UK promoters should give the riders a choice either GP speedway or European speedway. The profits from the GP's should go to Speedway not to a commercial company

Trouble is, you did not mention 'county cricket league' in the post in question.

You mentioned Wimbledon Tennis, top priced tickets in the Premier League and a special cricket match that is sold out.

A shareout of the spoils/profits from the GPs. How would you propose distributing this?

However he means to share it out it wouldn't do much good.Look back to the great days of the 50s when it was held at Wembley every year.....hardly done the sport much good then even with big crowds as the sport was going into a slump

Taken from Speedway Star June 8th Gorzow vs Bydgoszcz attendance 9500

Leszno vs Rzseszow attendance 5000

Taken from Speedway Star June 22 Bydgoszcz vs Tarnow attendance 3000

Yes big crowds compared to the UK but nowhere near "packed stadia" Crowds in Poland are also significantly down on what they were some years ago,it is only extensive sponsorship and wealthy owners that prop these clubs up