British Speedway Forum

£10 Sport?

And, on top of all that, from what you read on here 'regular' fans themselves are just not 'as regular' as they used to be, anyway.

I blame the diet.

There are good remedies for this problem! :rofl:

Well, those nice people at BSI have the database on the Cardiff ticket holders (except those that buy from touts, SCB) - and have done for the past 13 years.

They have certainly made use of it; though purely for reminder cards that get routinely sent.

I'm sure they would charge only the smallest fee tor the BSPA to have access to it for marketing research purposes.

I wonder if anyone has asked?

The extra numbers at Cardiff could probably be explained by three main groups, though.

1) The dragged along spouses (and other family). It does seem quite easy to pursuade them to go to Cardiff for the weekend. HiEdge Raceway is a more difficult ask.

2) The overseas fans. There were quite a few there.

3) The Fans-without-a-team-to-support. Those from Bradford, Reading, Oxford, Exeter, Wimbledon, Cradley, Hull, Newport and the rest. They may still go, occasionally, to their nearest track without becoming regulars. Some were in evidence at Cardiff.

And, on top of all that, from what you read on here 'regular' fans themselves are just not 'as regular' as they used to be, anyway.

I blame the diet.

Seems most of the Swindon fans I speak to don't attend the GP(especially if there's no Robins rider competing), so a lot of these peeps that go to Cardiff must be once-a-year fans.

When Lakeside did a free night, thousands turned up, I'm sure this would be repeated, but it would only be worth it if we found out why these people don't go anymore.

I'm sure it was stated somewhere that the majority of people who went were fans of other clubs, rather than new fans attracted by the free offer.

Seems most of the Swindon fans I speak to don't attend the GP(especially if there's no Robins rider competing), so a lot of these peeps that go to Cardiff must be once-a-year fans.

I agree.

I think the majority are fair-weather sports fans.

Bloody hell mate no wonder you cant afford to go out! There were nearly 39,000 at Cardiff, which is over 10,000 more than you get at all the 30-plus league tracks weekly. Crowds at football and ice-hockey in Swindon have increased so cant always make the excuse of a recession, wages freezes etc.,. When speedway was raced on a Saturday at Swindon more people attended. I think British peeps prefer weekend entertainment. I'm sure if we had a great summer weather-wise the crowds would be a lot better, always are bigger when its a warm evening and during school holidays. Has been generally a duff summer for the last 4years. At least when you go to Cardiff you know it will definitely be on because of the roof. There are cheaper alternatives for the leisure pound on a Thursday night to speedway, such as pub quizzes, cinema, meals out, ten-pin bowling etc.,

I can afford to go out, but like most others I pick and choose these days. I used to go to Kings Lynn 5/6 times a season when they were Premier league, but don't bother these days as I can see them on the box. But my point was, we've somehow got to find out what is the main reason for dwindling crowds. As others have said, It's probably a bit of everything, but unless we find out, we cant begin to address the problem.

I think the majority are fair-weather sports fans.

Really?

People with no 'proper' Speedway watching history?

It's just that I didn't see so many people without some form of 'branding'.

Or ex-regular fans? Who just go this once a year.

Having been to Cardiff every year, and sat just about everywhere, I've never felt like I have been sitting among the uninitiated.

Everyone has seemed to be 'Speedway', one way or another.

Have you found it different?

Really?

People with no 'proper' Speedway watching history?

It's just that I didn't see so many people without some form of 'branding'.

Or ex-regular fans? Who just go this once a year.

Having been to Cardiff every year, and sat just about everywhere, I've never felt like I have been sitting among the uninitiated.

Everyone has seemed to be 'Speedway', one way or another.

Have you found it different?

for example, my uncle and his wife go to Cardiff, but won't attend another speedway fixture all year.

They also go to The Emirates, Twickenham etc.

I don't think you'd ever get them to a league meeting on a regular basis.

I also agree with what you say about spouses and family. I think a lot of wives will go to Cardiff, but would never go to a local stadium.

I can afford to go out, but like most others I pick and choose these days. I used to go to Kings Lynn 5/6 times a season when they were Premier league, but don't bother these days as I can see them on the box. But my point was, we've somehow got to find out what is the main reason for dwindling crowds. As others have said, It's probably a bit of everything, but unless we find out, we cant begin to address the problem.

Well - there's your answer. You've answered your own question. No research needed in your case. :neutral: :neutral:

I watch it on the Television AND attend every week. If my Team is on SKY - I record it and watch the Meeting again when I get home. :unsure:

• Like 1

Well - there's your answer. You've answered your own question. No research needed in your case. :neutral: :neutral:

I watch it on the Television AND attend every week. If my Team is on SKY - I record it and watch the Meeting again when I get home. :unsure:

I haven't answered my own question, this is the reason why I don't go to Elite league anymore, the reason why I'm sitting at home now (instead of being at Mildenhall) is the bloody weather. I thought we were discussing all the reasons why people don't go anymore, and trying to find out if there is a main reason or it's an accumulation of many things, probably the latter, but the BSPA need to try and find out how to get people back on the terraces before our beloved sport dies.

"I used to go to Kings Lynn 5/6 times a season when they were Premier league, but don't bother these days as I can see them on the box". (Spanner47)

This seems like a pretty good answer to your question to me Spanner.

You prefer to watch them "on the Box". Perhaps that is at least one of the reasons support is dropping. Once you stop going it is very easy to find something else to do. As you say - "unless we find out, we can't begin to address the problem". You are right about that - I would respectfully suggest that if YOU prefer watch your Speedway "on the Box" so do lots of other people.

The answer, of course, would be NO League Speedway on Television and, hopefully, that would stop the Sport haemorrhaging Supporters and possibly encourage more, like yourself, to return to the various Tracks....

extra quid for adults, 50p for kids to contribute to airfence

I understand that a surcharge may be the one reasonable method of raising some funds.

And no doubt they will think of many other ingenious ways.

But asking kiddies to pay?

Is that really sensible?

Edited by Grand Central

extra quid for adults, 50p for kids to contribute to airfence

Husband, wife, three kids - that's £3.50 extra. But I doubt there's that scenario - for one adult, one kid - nothing very much. But over 20 meetings that's £30 for the season.

Regards people watching speedway on the box and not attending local tracks, perhaps maybe a case of speedway overkill, in that it's on SKY, the internet, Eurosport etc. There is only so much you can stomach and I for one feel a live match on Tv once a week is now the diet of many supporters who used to regularly attend 10 years ago. Perhaps less on TV will mean more on the terraces.

Why don't promoters realise supporters don't have bottomless pockets, an extra quid doesn't sound much, but here we are discussing reducing admission, and here are promoters putting prices up, even more. Simply if EL/PL cant support professional racing, then it has to go Semi Proffesional again, but REDUCED admission has to come with it.

• Like 3

Why don't promoters realise supporters don't have bottomless pockets, an extra quid doesn't sound much, but here we are discussing reducing admission, and here are promoters putting prices up, even more. Simply if EL/PL cant support professional racing, then it has to go Semi Proffesional again, but REDUCED admission has to come with it.

semi pro is the only way to go for el and pl in britain. theres nothing to worry about - the racing will be fine

you dont need the big names

Husband, wife, three kids - that's £3.50 extra. But I doubt there's that scenario - for one adult, one kid - nothing very much. But over 20 meetings that's £30 for the season.

But if the chap only goes to two fewer meetings over the year then the overall take for the promotion will be £10 LESS.

These are scary numbers if you get them wrong.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1