British Speedway Forum

£10 Sport?

"Dropping the admission to £10 will certainly increase the crowds but, without the associated drop in costs, it'd be financial suicide"

of course no one would recommend one without the other

take a look at bundesliga football - see what they've done. Of course Germans don't know what they're doing do they?

sorry but thats not good enough. It has to reduce its overheads. It can be done. It HAS to be done. Theres a hundred ways and we can all name a few - machines, pay, flights

my God flying people all over Europe to ride infront of 500 people!!! Get real!! A non league footballer in front of a similar crowd might get £150

will they? will they really? how many - an extra 100?

An extra 100 people paying £15.00 equates to £1,500 a meeting and if your club has 25 home meetings a season that would make £37.000 in a season

That looks quite good to me

An extra 100 people paying £15.00 equates to £1,500 a meeting and if your club has 25 home meetings a season that would make £37.000 in a season

great - sorted - everythings ok then

cheers!

don't know why i was worrying

Forgive me, but wasn't this all about the additional people who are going to come "if the weather is good"

As I am about to plan my holidays, I would be really interested to hear of the Speedway venue that is is going to get this freakish 25 week heatwave.

• Like 1

I actually think the problem is attracting new supporters whatever the price, ten pound is about right though.All this stems from promoters over the years taking the diehards supporters for granted.

Sneak in over the wall, a programme and a couple of pints and that's about a tenner Sidders....

As SS said, the overheads involved mean that speedway as we know it will never be a £10 sport.

That's just the business reality, Speedway will not survive as a £10 sport.

Of course it will, it just has to increase attendances.....entrance to a speedway meeting in Poland is substantially less, but they seem to be doing ok don't they!!! ?

• Like 1

Sneak in over the wall, a programme and a couple of pints and that's about a tenner Sidders....

Ive done that ER when younger,my mum used to say how could you afford all those souvenirs! Being realistic ten pound wouldn't be viable surely,people like us will pay whatever but i just don't see where the new supporter is coming from.

I work with some Poles & bearing in mind the Polish riders we have had at Ipswich over the years they would love to go but its too expensive! The problem is when the sport in the country should have been developed in the 70's & 80's is wasn't so we then come up with the years late 80's to now with cost cutting crap rules & nothing done to try & attract outside support. Maybe now is the time to start over in the uk. I have got back in to Speedway this year through the gp on Euro sport & I think a lot more people will see it now its on Euro sport. The gp's this year have been good & tonights has been fantastic & shows what a great sport it can be. We in the uk need to start rebuilding on the back of this move from Sky as it maybe the last chance we get. As I said I have got back into it I watch the gp's buy the speedway star but do I go up to Foxhall every week? The answer is no & that is down to the micky mouse way the sport in this country is run nothing to do with cost to get in or which league the Witches are in. I think I am not alone!!!!!!!!!!!

I work with some Poles & bearing in mind the Polish riders we have had at Ipswich over the years they would love to go but its too expensive! The problem is when the sport in the country should have been developed in the 70's & 80's is wasn't so we then come up with the years late 80's to now with cost cutting crap rules & nothing done to try & attract outside support. Maybe now is the time to start over in the uk. I have got back in to Speedway this year through the gp on Euro sport & I think a lot more people will see it now its on Euro sport. The gp's this year have been good & tonights has been fantastic & shows what a great sport it can be. We in the uk need to start rebuilding on the back of this move from Sky as it maybe the last chance we get. As I said I have got back into it I watch the gp's buy the speedway star but do I go up to Foxhall every week? The answer is no & that is down to the micky mouse way the sport in this country is run nothing to do with cost to get in or which league the Witches are in. I think I am not alone!!!!!!!!!!!

Good post and its people like you that the sport should be trying to entice back to want to go everyweek.I wonder why you don't? as you said Micky Mouse comes to mind.

We need to stop paying silly money to mediocre Riders for starters.the crowd levels should determine the money paid out.How many teams at the end of last season said they had lost money yet these same Teams are paying money to riders who probably are the most expensive in the League. The sport cannot survive in its present state it is not not attracting new fans in any significant numbers and the regular fans seem be drifting away. I certainly don't confess to know a solution ,but IMO technology has overtaken the sport .

• Like 1

It's a chicken and egg situation surely?

Elite League promoters are really up against it with all the various fixtures their riders are taking part in and so having to fit around! Premier League promoters have it relatively easier imo and so don't need such a complicated set of rules!

I guess the only way to make running EL teams easier would be for all teams to run on only 2 nights of the week. It would certainly make it better for tv for starters and riders' calendars! But will this ever happen?

Speedway could also do with more tv money so they could use it to attract more fans particularly for tv matches!!

I'd be all for having more PL together with EL meetings on tv, it's good to see lots of different tracks and riders! I realise that this wouldn't go down well with EL promoters but I guess British speedway isn't really in a position to pick and choose?? I guess PL promoters know their job is easier than EL promoters as far as sorting their fixtures and signing riders is concerned?

We'll see what happens!

If you go to Blunsdon half-way through the meeting you can usually get in for nought. I've tried and tested all fences and walls and the only way you get in for free thesedays is to use a pole vault. German Bundesliga seat prices are comparable with our Premiership. It's the standing terraces that are cheap, around 10 quid. So yes if you have to stand at Blunsdon in a decrepit stadium with poor views its probably not worth more than a tenner. Seated in a decent stand would pay about13/14 quid.

Edited by bertie boy

riders deserve every penny they can get ,i know i was one but i also know that the money just isnt there in the sport and something has got to give but nobody is trying to do anything about it. a couple of years ago 1 rider practically bankrupted the premier league club he rode for and he was only a reserve for them .it wasnt the points money he was on although he was on a good deal for the premier league it was the extras he was getting paid. ie flights ,mechanic ,etc. i dont blame the rider or the club but these things need to be addressed ,its just getting worse and untill ways are found to get the crowds back watching british speedway they have got to stop. but where are the meetings between the bspa and the riders to find a way forward?.. i wont hold my breath

• Like 3

I think that your 'facts' about non league football are way off the mark. Last season I went to a few non league matches and paid £17 at Alfreton Town, £15 at Mansfield and £16 at Grimsby.

The average crowds are similar but the £8-12 entrance fee is dated by about 5 or 6 years.

• Like 1

I think that your 'facts' about non league football are way off the mark. Last season I went to a few non league matches and paid £17 at Alfreton Town, £15 at Mansfield and £16 at Grimsby.

The average crowds are similar but the £8-12 entrance fee is dated by about 5 or 6 years.

its easy to pick holes in my analogy but 90 percent of the posters think the same as me. If you disagree - fine - but what do you think should be done?

by the way i pay £8 to stand with 3-400 people in the Northern League - not a kick in the arse from average PL crowds

Conference is professional football these days and i specifically said that was not comparable. By the way - £17 to watch conference - you must be bonkers!!

• Like 1