British Speedway Forum

Scunthorpe V Redcar (pl Knockout Cup, Quarter-final, 2nd Leg) - Friday, June 14th (7.30pm)

SCORPIONS UP FOR THE CUP!

HENDERSON INSURANCE Scunthorpe Scorpions take a break from Premier League action this week, as they are involved in home and away matches with the Redcar Bears in the quarter-finals of the Knockout Cup.

The Scorpions travel to the South Tees Motorpark on Thursday for the first leg, before entertaining the Bears at the Eddie Wright Raceway on Friday evening (7.30pm) in the second leg.

With a new signing blocked by the BSPA Management Committee, the Scorpions will continue to use rider replacement for Dane Thomas Jørgensen, who is currently out of action with a broken shoulder.

Promoter Rob Godfrey said: “I’m not happy about what happened regarding the new rider we wanted to bring in.

“But we have to turn any anger about the decision into points. I’ll be having a team talk with the riders before the meeting on Thursday. We will come out fighting.”

Redcar are in excellent form and currently sit in third place in the Premier League table.

Godfrey added: “There’s no doubt that the Bears are tough opponents. Their trump card has been Micky Dyer at reserve; he’s now moved up in the main body of their team so they can no longer give him seven rides.

“Nevertheless, the Bears are a strong side, and they now have a Scunthorpe Scorpions’ legend, Carl Wilkinson, at reserve.

“But I see no reason why we can’t beat them over the two legs. We need as good a result as possible at Redcar on the Thursday, so that we can complete the job at the Eddie Wright Raceway on Friday.

“Along with the Premier League, the cup is one of the two competitions really worth winning.”

The Scorpions won the third-tier Knockout Cup in both 2006 and 2007, but have only reached the semi-finals at Premier League level once before in their history (in 2009).

There has been a gap of 18 days since the last Scorpions’ meeting at the Eddie Wright Raceway.

During that time Josh Auty and David Howe have finished second in the Premier League Pairs at Somerset, Auty scored a point as a reserve in the British Grand Prix at Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium, and Howe finished a highly creditable sixth in the opening round of the World Longtrack Championship in Finland.

Other members of the team have also been making track appearances, such as Ashley Birks who made a trio of guest appearances for the Glasgow Tigers at the weekend, in place of the retired James Wright.

Admission Prices for Friday:

Adult: £14.00

Student/OAP: £12.00

Child (10 - 16): £5.00

Child (0 - 9) Free (accompanied by paying adult)

Family Ticket £33 (2 adults, 2 Children 10-16)

Match Programme: £1.00

Expected teams for Thursday and Friday:

Henderson Insurance Scunthorpe Scorpions: 1. Josh Auty, 2. R/R for Thomas Jørgensen (Denmark), 3. Michael Palm Toft (Denmark), 4. Ashley Birks, 5. David Howe, 6. Ryan Douglas (Australia), 7. Lewis Blackbird.

Redcar Bears: 1. Ulrich Ostergaard (Denmark), 2. Hugh Skidmore (Australia), 3. Matej Kus (Czech Republic), 4. Micky Dyer (Australia), 5. Aaron Summers (Australia), 6. Max Dilger (Germany), 7. Carl Wilkinson.

There is a six-heat Castleford v Belle Vue Midland Development League match in the second half at the Eddie Wright Raceway on Friday:

Teams:

Castleford: 1. To be confirmed, 2. Kevin Keay, 3. Danny Phillips, 4. Callum Harris.

Belle Vue: 1. Max Clegg, 2. Sean Phillips, 3. Matt Williamson, 4. Robert Shuttleworth.

Redcar Bears at EWR

Ave Ave Best

Name Lge M R Pts BP (no BP) (w BP) Performance

Max Dilger PL 3 11 7 2 2.55 3.27 3 + 1 from 4 rides (2010/2012)

Micky Dyer PL 2 12 17 2 5.67 6.33 10 + 1 from 7 rides (2012)

Matej Kus PL 3 15 27 0 7.20 7.20 17 from 5 rides (inc 6 pts T/R (2012))

Ulrich Ostergaard PL 4 17 32 0 7.53 7.53 18 from 6 rides (inc 6 pts T/R (2008))

Hugh Skidmore PL 13 60 95 7 6.33 6.80 11 + 1 from 5 rides (inc 6 pts T/R (2012))

Aaron Summers PL 10 45 61 3 5.42 5.69 10 + 1 from 6 rides (inc 4 pts T/R 2010))

Carl Wilkinson PL 83 370 677 64 7.32 8.01 16 + 1 from 6 rides (2010)

Other Notes

Max Dilger

2008 German Under-21 Champion

Made his Premier League debut in 2009 for Edinburgh.

Micky Dyer

First rode in British Speedway in the National League with Dudley in 2010.

His excellent form so far this season has seen him move in to the Top 5 of the Redcar side.

Matej Kus

Has ridden in 4 GPs and 4 Speedway World Cup Events.

2010 Czech Republic Champion.

Twice Czech Republic Under-21 Champion (2008 and 2009).

2008 Czech Republic Under-19 Champion.

Ulrich Ostergaard

Member of Peterborough's Elite League Championship Winning Team in 2006.

First rode in British Speedway with Eastbourne in 2003.

Hugh Skidmore

2009 New South Wales State Champion.

Made his Premier League debut in 2009 for Sheffield.

Has rode as a guest rider for Scunthorpe on a number of occasions.

Aaron Summers

Member of Edinburgh's Premier League Championship and Premier Trophy Winning Teams in 2008.

Member of Edinburgh's Premier League Play-Off Winning Teams in 2008 and 2009.

Member of Coventry's Elite League Winning Team in 2010.

Member of Birmingham's Premier League Four-Team Championship Winning Team in 2010.

2004 Australian Under-16 Champion.

Named as a 'doubling-up' rider with Coventry for the 2013 Elite League Season.

Carl Wilkinson

Former Scunthorpe rider who has scored over 1200 points for the club.

Member of Boston's Conference League KO Cup Winning Team in 2000.

Member of Peterborough's Conference League Winning Team in 1997.

Redcar Bears' 2013 Results

04 April 2013 TTT H L Redcar 37 Newcastle 58

06 April 2013 LC A L Redcar 39 Workington 56

07 April 2013 TTT A L Redcar 36 Newcastle 58 (agg: L:- 73 - 116)

11 April 2013 LC H W Redcar 45 Workington 44

13 April 2013 KOC A W Redcar 46 Berwick 44

18 April 2013 KOC H W Redcar 45 Berwick 44 (agg: W:- 91 - 88)

20 April 2013 PL A L Redcar 37 Leicester 53

25 April 2013 LC H W Redcar 48 Newcastle 42

28 April 2013 PL A L Redcar 42 Glasgow 48

02 May 2013 PL A W Redcar 53 Sheffield 39

03 May 2013 PL H W Redcar 60 Sheffield 35

09 May 2013 PL H W Redcar 36 Rye House 27

12 May 2013 PL A L Redcar 38 Newcastle 55

16 May 2013 PL H W Redcar 51 Plymouth 42

30 May 2013 CH H W Redcar 51 Dudley 42

06 June 2013 PL H W Redcar 49 Somerset 41

07 June 2013 PL A W Redcar 47 Edinburgh 46

08 June 2013 PL A L Redcar 40 Workington 50

Redcar Bears' Results at EWR

30 March 2008 PT D Scunthorpe 45 Redcar 45

06 June 2008 PL L Scunthorpe 52 Redcar 41

19 June 2009 PL L Scunthorpe 49 Redcar 44

31 July 2009 KOC L Scunthorpe 50 Redcar 39

02 October 2009 YS L Scunthorpe 56 Redcar 34

05 April 2010 PT L Scunthorpe 50 Redcar 42

02 May 2010 PL L Scunthorpe 57 Redcar 34

09 September 2011 PL L Scunthorpe 52 Redcar 41

07 October 2011 PL Ph 2 L Scunthorpe 65 Redcar 25

27 April 2012 LC L Scunthorpe 54 Redcar 36

14 September 2012 PL L Scunthorpe 55 Redcar 38

(stats courtesy of John Eyre)

Edited by lucifer sam

Not sure if we will see Matej Kus in these two fixtures. He was involved in a very bad crash last night, early reports indicate a possible broken leg. If true then Redcar will operate R/R for him which at the moment definately makes Redcar strongerwith Ostergaard, Summers, Dyer, Skidmore or Wilkinson all able to take extra rides. Unfortunate but true that Matej's injury will make Redcar stronger just as Tully's injury made Newcastle stronger for 3 months of the season.

Weather here in Teesside is very changeable, had a really heavy downpour at about 12 noon, stopped now but is forecast to return later in the day. Cant imagine what the track will be like after some of the attempts to get it right this season. Maybe a delay to the start again after the referee tells Mr Havelock its un-raceable again lol.

How embarrassing was that ,no wonder Rob was upset ,Redcar were truly superior and rode with fire and passion and many congratulations on their aggregate win , think it's well time to call the taxi for Toft and Douglas.

Not sure on taxis but it ain't happening for us and from robs reaction he is aware but will change make us better who is available and more changes may be needed to bring in the riders u need as they say in football be carefull what you wish for

Yes i'm also aware of Rob's reaction as the passion he displays for Scunthorpe speedway far exceeds some of the scores produced by some of his riders and obviously finding replacement riders will be no easy task but it's what i wish for and to be honest as i detest the girlie game of football i couldn't give a monkey's what they say

Well done Bears on a solid win.

Now onto the Scorpions. Thanks to Mr Doolan for being a worthy Guest. Well done Ash and Josh for keeping the fixture alive. Michael what is going wrong ,bikes seem to be a problem and need sorting fast. Lewis and Ryan not scoring enough points-tough on Lewis when he had to bail out when Wilko locked up right infront of him and looked like he was falling off. Ryan had 1 good race ,but seems loath to mix it and get amongst the opposition. We expect every Aussie to be ace but this one is just not doing it.

I feel Rob Godfrey's pain from a man who is passionate about his team. How many other promotors spend hours working at the track, grade the track during matches, commentate during races, interview riders etc ??? Stick in there Rob (and Gail of course-Rob needs a cuddle tonight!!! ) the faithful know the rule book is a joke and Speedway Top Management break their own rules when they feel like it. We too, feel like we have been shafted by the BSPA, and home and away fans are let down by a system that should promote inclusion of riders to balance up a team for better entertainment.

I do not mind being beaten by a strong team performing well, but when we are denied legitimate efforts to strengthen our team it is a bitter pill to swallow knowing we could have been so much more competitive. Injuries so far have ruined our season, no way will we catch up to even playoffs using RR and no strong reserves. It is clear we need to regroup lick our wounds and carry on. The team gels better when Ash is captain. David Howe is a good rider and loads of knowledge but Ashley is a born leader of a team and motivator wheras David( to me,looking from the outside at home and away matches) gets in his own zone and is not such a team player.

We need changes, the promotion seem to be baulked by BSPA at every turn and the fans and management are duly frustrated because we have been spoilt by winning so much last season.

Onwards with plan " c " it can only get better from now.

• Like 1

Well done Bears on a solid win.

Now onto the Scorpions. Thanks to Mr Doolan for being a worthy Guest. Well done Ash and Josh for keeping the fixture alive. Michael what is going wrong ,bikes seem to be a problem and need sorting fast. Lewis and Ryan not scoring enough points-tough on Lewis when he had to bail out when Wilko locked up right infront of him and looked like he was falling off. Ryan had 1 good race ,but seems loath to mix it and get amongst the opposition. We expect every Aussie to be ace but this one is just not doing it.

I feel Rob Godfrey's pain from a man who is passionate about his team. How many other promotors spend hours working at the track, grade the track during matches, commentate during races, interview riders etc ??? Stick in there Rob (and Gail of course-Rob needs a cuddle tonight!!! ) the faithful know the rule book is a joke and Speedway Top Management break their own rules when they feel like it. We too, feel like we have been shafted by the BSPA, and home and away fans are let down by a system that should promote inclusion of riders to balance up a team for better entertainment.

I do not mind being beaten by a strong team performing well, but when we are denied legitimate efforts to strengthen our team it is a bitter pill to swallow knowing we could have been so much more competitive. Injuries so far have ruined our season, no way will we catch up to even playoffs using RR and no strong reserves. It is clear we need to regroup lick our wounds and carry on. The team gels better when Ash is captain. David Howe is a good rider and loads of knowledge but Ashley is a born leader of a team and motivator wheras David( to me,looking from the outside at home and away matches) gets in his own zone and is not such a team player.

We need changes, the promotion seem to be baulked by BSPA at every turn and the fans and management are duly frustrated because we have been spoilt by winning so much last season.

Onwards with plan " c " it can only get better from now.

The rider blocked for scunny is probably earmarked for one of the MC's teams no doubt :)

• Like 4

The normally fairly benign M1 turned into a monster tonight, thanks to a festival at Donnington over the weekend. Finally got off the M1 at around 7pm and ran up to the track to see Heat 1 - phew!!!

Redcar were deserving winners tonight - they are going to be contenders this year.

It was actually a pretty decent meeting, with a lot of good racing, but losing at home is never a nice feeling. There's no doubting Rob Godfrey's passion for the club. I think everyone realises he's doing his upmost to improve our current fortunes, but it's not easy when the BSPA MC are trying to snooker him.

It's too early to write off our season yet.... two sucessive home defeats, out of the KOC and League Cup, poor start to the league campaign... that rings a bell somewhere... and look what happened in the final four months of 2012.

All the best

Rob

I think everyone realises he's doing his upmost to improve our current fortunes, but it's not easy when the BSPA MC are trying to snooker him.

That'll be the Management Committee of which he's a member (albeit Reserve).

Because the rule book that he signed up to doesn't suit him, the rule book gets a slagging, the Management Committee gets a slagging - "blocked by them" - who are "them", fellow Management Committee members?

Perhaps READING the rule book and working out ramifications of bringing in cheap & ultimately sub-standard foreigners on assessed averages might have been an idea.

Of course "they" have written rules that apply to, for example Sheffield where the 5 pointers haven't worked & Edinburgh where he has.

Them's the breaks.

Cannot fault Rob for his passion, the guy was in tears at the end!. But my message is we have to stick with it. If we started again we would have picked the 1-7 start of season obviously loosing Irving was a early blow. Looking down the order Josh has lacked a bit for me, MPT ? seems back to where was last year when his place was a question. Its his bikes for me seems to lack speed? and spinning out the turns? but hes still a developing rider!. Remember he scored a paid 21 max at the EWR last year. Needs a spell at reserve to build confidence ..that key in speedway. Ryan ? for me theres a rider there!..his last two rides last night he was on the pace in the thick of the traffic .But he needs track time. How often is he riding ? its two weeks since he rode at Scunny. Koppe at Sheffield is coming good, Fricke at Edinburgh we got to keep faith with Ryan.Hes come a long way to ride here.Its all new and hes learning the tracks. Let him go and I guarantee Scorps will rue it he will come good. Its rotten luck with Howe and Jorgensen both seem injury jinxed?. Rob is clearly frustrated with the authorities block on a team change but we have to get our heads up!. Ashley Birks has been our stand out rider and Lewis Blackbird has until last night done his job. So my message is lets get our heads up, make the change when we can and keep the faith with the riders we have. Champions 2012 yes but as a supporter I accept thats hard to follow and I am prepared to give our riders space to build confidence and form. Please cheer up Rob !!! speedways great lets enjoy it.

Disappointing result for the Scoprions. Like previous posters have said, you couldn't fault Auty, Birks and Doolan for effort, the rest were pretty woeful.

Despite some excellent racing, the nature of this defeat does little to lift the doom and gloom that hovers over our club at the moment.

Well done to Redcar, each rider contributed well....you caught the champs in chump mode. Talking of chumps....just hope the bspa mc make better decisions next time Rob wishes to make changes....

Edited by Albert