British Speedway Forum

Somerset Cases Rebels V Edinburgh 11/06

Another first class advert for Speedway. Great meeting with close racing in just about every race. Credit to all involved - riders, officials, track preparers, promotion and the Sky presentation team.

I know I say it after every Sky PL meeting but again - please let us have more PL meetings.

Oh yeh - two teams who will be amongst the front runners in the play offs.

:) :) :)

• Like 1

great meeting, well done to all the riders...

if you could pay a tenner every week to watch speedway like this then people would attend in much greater numbers i am sure..

as for those who bemoaned roscos' commentary, my remote has a 'mute' button, see if yours has too, they are quite common I believe, might help your enjoyment more next time..... ;)

well done the mon arrrrkkks.... :D

and cookie in particular, shoe in for the SWC surely?

Rubbish Orion, you need to pay a visit to Specsavers. There was PLENTY of GOOD dirt on that track....

So Louis, Doyle and Davies says it slick. Starman says there was plenty of dirt. I'll let people decide who they wish to believe.

So Louis, Doyle and Davies says it slick. Starman says there was plenty of dirt. I'll let people decide who they wish to believe.

You do that...

Rubbish Orion, you need to pay a visit to Specsavers. There was PLENTY of GOOD dirt on that track....

You need to get your ears and eyes tested ...Did you not hear what the riders were saying about the track ? no doubt you know better than them ?

Put Somerset in the EL and meetings at the OTA would be just as good. It's the track responsible for the racing rather than the league.

That's a good observation. Although it does cross my mind that there seems to be more of a uniformity of riders of the same class in the Premier League. In the Elite League you get races where there is a clear top rider and also a single fairly weak one. This results in less races where all four or three even have a chance to win the race. Granted there are not as many top riders as there used to be but that only adds to the problem. You get good racing in Poland, and Sweden to a lesser extent, because you'll often get races with several top riders. Speaking on the whole and not every race of course.

I'd love to see higher class riders get to race on the Somerset track, by that i mean world class ones. I guess though that it isn't lack of ambition by the Somerset owners but more the fact that there simply isn't the population catchment to supply the crowd numbers needed? Hang on Bristol isn't too far away is it?

• Like 1

Fantastic meeting between two good evenly matched teams on a superb track. I though there was just enough dirt to provide great racing with passing inside, outside or, in Jozsef Tabaka's case, right through the middle.

Heats 7, 12, 13 & 14 were the pick of the bunch for me, then the cookstar rounded it off in an epic final heat. Looked great in HD - I'm away to watch it again!

Top class meeting. Much better than anything served up by the Elite League on Sky so far.

I can't be some are still moaning by saying the track was slick. Was it bull arks.

The riders were suggesting it was slick but only slicker than normal standards. Compare it to trash like Lakeside, Poole, Coventry, Belle Vue, Somerset looked super grippy & I think that's the statement people are trying to make.

So glad I'm getting back into my speedway, that was a cracking meeting tonight although I don't like being on the losing side but I have to hand it to Craig Cook - he was on fire- he rode front wheel on the grass out of the gate bend 1&2 and did an amazing pass on Doyley going into 3 in heat 15.

It's great to hear from others how good our track is and how it seems to suit Sky. The crowd didn't look that many but the car parks were busier than normal so it must have a reasonable number.

When Sky renew the contract next year, they want to go for weekly Premier League and just the occasional EL meeting at Peterborough or King's Lynn. No need to go to Lakeside, Eastbourne or Belle Vue....

All the best

Rob

This sounds like great news!

Well I never saw that coming.

Magic win from Edinburgh Monarchs with 6 riders scoring good points, with Cookie and Max the stand out performances.

Perhaps we'll see another PL match with Edinburgh Monarchs in it.

Well done guys safe home.

I can't be some are still moaning by saying the track was slick. Was it bull arks.

It;'s not moaning. It's just pointing out some dont know their arse from their elbow. It was slick. It certainly wasn't grippy and didn't have laods of dirt. But it was still a good meeting, proving that people dont have a clue when they say you need grip and dirt for a good meeting. You need a decent, smooth and consistent track with various lines.

It's some sort of myth you need grip for good racing, invariably grip = rubbish racing as the riders dont have the confidence due to not know what they or the other riders are going to be doing in two second time as the grip throws them around.

Really enjoyed tonights match, plenty of great racing on an excellent track - well done Somerset & Edinburgh. Very impressed by young Max Fricke, some prospect he looks!

Hope there'll be more PL action televised as the season goes on, should be some tasty fixtures in store as the PL table takes shape & the playoffs get closer.

• Like 1

Great racing... bring us more of this please Sky.. although no more jobs for mates, lets not have Rosco commentating, give the job to someone who can a) commentate or B) perhaps is more involved in Premier League speedway. Did Sky use a different camera setup today to normal? , I thought they seemed to get some of the angles wrong during the racing as we seemed to miss some of the straight build ups to overtakes.

• Like 2