British Speedway Forum

Was only watching it on TV, but every time I watched the replays could not see Fredie touch Tai (May be wrong and hoping I was wrong at the time as Tai was again in good form)

On watching over and over I think Tai should have been excluded.

Freddie lunging down the inside scared / shocked Tai who gave a bit more picked up drive and did not turn properly.

But it appears I am the only person with that opinion!!!!!!!!!!

Does there have to be contact to be deemed the primary cause of the stoppage??

No.

I have been privileged to information regarding the shale used yesterday and I wonder if Ole and his crew should have reacted earlier in the week by maybe getting new shale delivered to lay track as per Mon/Tues .Apparently the shale was not under cover at Newport but left outside on the Docks area whether it had been moved out during the closed season or just in the last month or so,or not been put in in the first place.The moisture content is tested with a probe pushed in in different places and I think ,but I,m sure ,an acceptable figure is around 5% to 7% to lay track and work it .The reported reading taken at start of the week was 17% .Obviously way over and working in side where you don,t get permanent sunshine(when we get any) or wind the drying process is virtually non existent .This reading should have been taken at the onset of work and IMO measures should have been implemented to get other shale providers within the uk to load up and get to Cardiff post haste.Breedon Quarries have been mentioned ref last night,s shale but it didnt come from them as having worked with their shale at Cardiff in previous years and at Coventry also ,last night the shale was different in colour (a lot lighter) and the texture and it looked to me as if sand had been mixed in with what ever they were passing off as shale.A lot of people have knocked track prep at Cardiff over the years and it was crap when we started but it has been the best indoor track for about the last 5 to 6 years haven,t been involved since 2011,

Well there you go, what a pile of crap people are being fobbed of with. It did look different, very sand based, im glad somebody else has noticed, that will not bind and massive holes will appear.as I said, this is our flagship meeting, our stage, and it needs to be done properly, somebody needs to supervise the transportation of the shale go check if nessercery make sure its dry and well covered, before and when its transported, to me it smacks as a cost cutting measure, even if it has to bed in for a week, that's what you do, we all know the type of racing we can get at Cardiff so you maximise it people pay a lot of money nowadays to go to Cardiff!! IMO all those involved need sacking,{jobs for the boys} If its all down to cost, then BSI need to start dangling big carrots, because it proves this year, even with Tai as a GB figurehead, the attendance was down again..... And if they think, oh sod it, we'll pull Cardiff, its to much hassle, or we're not making enough money, they all want their heads banging together, this is a once a year occasion, and needs fully publicised, even the nationals picked up on Tai, and that's what speedway needs. As far as track prep, PR, management, helpers, volunteers etc you want the BEST, Britain can offer,and the best shale. Total incompetence.

The track was not great, and yet most speedway riders ride Motor x bikes so are experienced in dealing with such ruts etc! what annoys me is that not enough care or preparation went into providing a good racing track, the increased cost of storing the shale in a warehouse would have been minimal compared to losing 1,000 s of fans from future GP,S

I took 2 new fans to Cardiff for the day who enjoyed it so much they now want to follow league speedway as well, so there was some good plus points as well!

Not all doom and gloom :D

And that's what Speedway needs... Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

If its all down to cost

Cost is not unreasonably always going to be an important factor, but it may well be that taking longer to lay the track or storing the shale in a shed wouldn't make a great deal of difference. The cock-up seems to be the shale getting wet, and not for the first time, which is simply down to ineptitude at the end of the day.

If the shale was indeed stored outside (which is not necessarily a problem in itself as plenty of tracks do it), then just be honest about it. Telling porkie pies that it was stored in sort of state-of-the-art facility isn't going to convince anyone who could see the result with their own eyes... :rolleyes:

Well there you go, what a pile of crap people are being fobbed of with. It did look different, very sand based, im glad somebody else has noticed, that will not bind and massive holes will appear.as I said, this is our flagship meeting, our stage, and it needs to be done properly, somebody needs to supervise the transportation of the shale go check if nessercery make sure its dry and well covered, before and when its transported, to me it smacks as a cost cutting measure, even if it has to bed in for a week, that's what you do, we all know the type of racing we can get at Cardiff so you maximise it people pay a lot of money nowadays to go to Cardiff!! IMO all those involved need sacking,{jobs for the boys} If its all down to cost, then BSI need to start dangling big carrots, because it proves this year, even with Tai as a GB figurehead, the attendance was down again..... And if they think, oh sod it, we'll pull Cardiff, its to much hassle, or we're not making enough money, they all want their heads banging together, this is a once a year occasion, and needs fully publicised, even the nationals picked up on Tai, and that's what speedway needs. As far as track prep, PR, management, helpers, volunteers etc you want the BEST, Britain can offer,and the best shale. Total incompetence.

And that's what Speedway needs...

I just watched it on tv, Material looks totally differant to other years and produced a poor event. Maybe it is the old stuff left over from Germany a few years back now its dried out :D

Just a small afterthought.

Imagine anybody new watching / following the whole track 'too wet' debacle, only to see it being watered during the meeting? Speedway is one big irony trip sometimes. :D

• Like 1

As always it was a brilliant weekend. Catching up with old pals with the exception of one or two ;):D

Yeh, the track was poor and Tai crashing out made the atmosphere go flat, but when I watched it back yesterday when we got home, I thought it looked like a good meeting, better than it seemed when we were there! The presentation was superb, Scott and Sophie were fab..Good interviews with the injection of humour..Loved it!

I don't really see the point in banging on and on about the track and It won't stop us going back next year. Why? Because Cardiff is about so much more than just the meeting and to be fair there have been some good tracks in recent years..

See ya next year :t:

Edit..Tickets bought and Hotel booked for next year ..woohoo :approve:

Edited by Jacques

Everything outside of stadium made for a great day no argument ,but for me was worst one I've been to (missed 3) was on upper level 4th bend Never heard one word on tannoy and being brutally honest was boring,saying that Will still go again because speedway fans just do lol

FACTS ... the material used this year was the same as in 2012. As previously posted, it looked and was lighter in colour because of the lime added on Friday morning.

The material is taken to a storage facility where it is built up into a pyramid, covered with tarpaulin with heavy tyres on top to ensure it is as far as possible watertight. The base is concrete. Once a month photographs of the covered material and read-outs of moisture measurements are sent to BSI.

So, why was it wetter than anticipated? That question has already been asked and the whole storage procedure, which let's face it has worked well over the past two years, being is re-examined.

Any suggestion that cost cutting was going on is complete rubbish. Anyone inside the stadium this week who saw the amount of equipment on hire and on hand will testify to that.

Ole Olsen's team includes some very experienced guys well versed in building roads, etc, and their record in recent years at Cardiff, Copenhagen and Gothenburg has been good. Believe me, they are as puzzled and disappointed as anyone that Saturday's track wasn't up to the high standards they set themselves and they are determined as anyone to solve the puzzle.

Of course, there had to be some watering on Saturday. The racing generates a lot of loose material which requires dampening down.

When you say it's "our" national event, who is "our"? It has no affiliation with british speedway at all!

CERTAINLY has with British speedway fans

• Like 2

Of course, there had to be some watering on Saturday. The racing generates a lot of loose material which requires dampening down.

Of course Phil. I know this, it was just a tongue-in-cheek throwaway comment about the irony of it all.

:t:

Does there have to be contact to be deemed the primary cause of the stoppage??

There doesn't even have to be a fall to stop a race and exclude someone if the referee believes they've believe their move is worth of exclusion. Though I dont think that is relevant in this case, technically in the final KK could have been excluded - let be honest, had he run most riders into the corner like that there would have been a crash so an exclusion was justifiable.

I think the main thing with this kind of move is that the referee is consistent, we're discovered we're not all going to agree, I think thats fine, I keep changing my own mind but I think as long as a referee is consistent in his view of these incidents it doesn't matter really.

LET'S just clear up some mis-information ... time taken to lay the track was same as in previous years, material was same as in 2012 and had been kept in an environmentally controlled storage facility which should (and I repeat should) have ensured that it retained no more than a seven per cent moisture content. That moisture content is supposedly constantly monitored and BSI provided with regular updates.

The material is taken to a storage facility where it is built up into a pyramid, covered with tarpaulin with heavy tyres on top to ensure it is as far as possible watertight. The base is concrete. Once a month photographs of the covered material and read-outs of moisture measurements are sent to BSI.

So the 'environmentally controlled storage facility' really is an outdoor hard standing where the shale is piled up under a tarp? :rofl:

• Like 2

FACTS ... the material used this year was the same as in 2012. As previously posted, it looked and was lighter in colour because of the lime added on Friday morning.

So, why was it wetter than anticipated? That question has already been asked and the whole storage procedure, which let's face it has worked well over the past two years, being is re-examined.

Any suggestion that cost cutting was going on is complete rubbish. Anyone inside the stadium this week who saw the amount of equipment on hire and on hand will testify to that.

Ole Olsen's team includes some very experienced guys well versed in building roads, etc, and their record in recent years at Cardiff, Copenhagen and Gothenburg has been good. Believe me, they are as puzzled and disappointed as anyone that Saturday's track wasn't up to the high standards they set themselves and they are determined as anyone to solve the puzzle.

CERTAINLY has with British speedway fans

So how many years is the same material used before it is replaced with new fresh material ? We all know cardiff is the cash cow for the BSI and why its one of the few they promote themselves. Income from this event needs to be maximised to off set the lesser events. I must say putting it in a hep with a tarp and tyres does not seem to hi tech :rofl:

ACTUALLY it is ...

:lol::D;)