British Speedway Forum

You make some good points but Freddie Lindgren may not agree that it wasn't dangerous. He went head first into the shale on the 3rd bend in the final. Others were bouncing around on the bike. That should not happen on a GP track where ticket prices in the decent seats was very high..

Did you see a good meeting? If you did it was worth the price. If you didnth then it wasn't, possibly. Why does it bother you if the track is slick, grippy, rutted, big small, clay, dusty, watered or dry if the racing is good? Are you telling me you'd prefer to see a perfectly safe and smooth track over a race track that you could pass on? give me a slightly dodgy track so you can sort the men form the boys and see the rider really use their skill.

Apparently the shale was not under cover at Newport but left outside on the Docks area whether it had been moved out during the closed season or just in the last month or so,or not been put in in the first place.

I did actually wonder whether the 'climate controlled facility' was actually a shed, with the 'moisture measurement' amounting to a bloke sticking a spade in from time-to-time. Do we know where this supposed facility actually is, so at least we can establish its credentials... :rolleyes:

To be honest I have seen worse British GP,s, I have also seen much better but that's the problem with temporary tracks its not an exact science although some of the established European tracks like Prague and Terenzano are bloody awful every year.

As others say in this day and age it's impossible to stop bad news creeping out and it was clear Cardiff had a problem on the Friday with the track, that said I wasn't aware of any press releases or updates despite reading that their would be on here.

To be fair the British GP is a good day out even though it is a bit expensive but good weather helps and this years was very good.

• Like 1

I thought Cook was taking it easy on a terrible track personally, riding with his head to stay in one piece. He's got bigger fish to fry this season.

.Na i like him he looks good i have seen him 3 times live he is quick but he does not like heading towards the fence? How good do you think he is?

Did you see a good meeting? If you did it was worth the price. If you didnth then it wasn't, possibly. Why does it bother you if the track is slick, grippy, rutted, big small, clay, dusty, watered or dry if the racing is good? Are you telling me you'd prefer to see a perfectly safe and smooth track over a race track that you could pass on? give me a slightly dodgy track so you can sort the men form the boys and see the rider really use their skill.

I thought the track was poor, didn't give the riders the best option to show all there skills. It was too rutted after 10 heats foir them to race properly. All the riders "are men" to do what they do for a living. They don't need sorting out from the boys. The riders felt the track was poor.

For our showpiece meeting it was a shame.

• Like 1

eeer... no. You overtake in a safe manner, the same in racing sports, think F1 and a car coming in too fast and tapping the side of another car, not much, just enough to spin the car out. It is all because the overtaking car came in a bit too fast for the corner.

But he never touched him....

If going into a bend hard is seen as a move that will see you excluded, what is the point in racing at all....

Edited by wjm

I reckon a broken collar bone might be considered a "real issue"!

Niamh

And if you read my earlier post you will see that I felt Tai's accident was very little to do with the track. If Tai's incident had been like Lindgren's in the final I would agree with you but the two incidents were worlds apart. Whether there was contact or not, I feel Tai would have rode Lindgren's inside dive out if Nicki had not, by sheer chance, have happened to have been in his way. It was Tai T-boning Pedersen which caused him to fall.

• Like 1

But he never touched him....

If going into a bend hard is seen as a move that will see you excluded, what is the point in racing at all....

Vaculk should have gone too then, as there was no contact with him. Freddie made contact with Tai, was it enough? I don't know,. i've never raced a speedway bike into a bend at full speed to know what effect it has take a knock like that but Vaculik took no contact from anyone and still went down but was put back in the re-run. For me Vaculik was a definite exclusion and then Woffy/Freddie was down to individual interpretation and I dont think the referee is going to exclude the British rider who is leading the World Championship at the British GP unless he has to.

I thought Cook was taking it easy on a terrible track personally, riding with his head to stay in one piece. He's got bigger fish to fry this season.

we think cook is very good but he looked like he was on a moped the way he got passed...completely outclassed and just shows how far we are behind everyone in the uk these days. He's a biggish fish in a small pond at the moment and that is all.
  • Like 1

I thought the track was poor, didn't give the riders the best option to show all there skills. It was too rutted after 10 heats foir them to race properly. All the riders "are men" to do what they do for a living. They don't need sorting out from the boys. The riders felt the track was poor.

For our showpiece meeting it was a shame.

Yes. And it's clear that mistakes were made with the original shale. Unfortunately, we don't live in an ideal world and mistakes happen. We can go on about it being unacceptable that this was the case for our showpiece meeting but it won't change anything.

I thought the salvage job performed on the track produced a track which, whilst not ideal, was by no means the worse track I have seen speedway performed on (including GP's for that matter) and served up a pretty good meeting.

Certainly the track, whilst not up to the same standard of those over the last few years, was no worse than plenty of others we have seen at Cardiff. Look at clips from 2007 and see riders really battling the track.

And look at my earlier post to see how many passes there were after heat 10. One or two riders were beaten by the track, the rest were giving it a good go.

Edited by G the Bee

Vaculk should have gone too then, as there was no contact with him. Freddie made contact with Tai, was it enough? I don't know,. i've never raced a speedway bike into a bend at full speed to know what effect it has take a knock like that but Vaculik took no contact from anyone and still went down but was put back in the re-run. For me Vaculik was a definite exclusion and then Woffy/Freddie was down to individual interpretation and I dont think the referee is going to exclude the British rider who is leading the World Championship at the British GP unless he has to.

I probably would have excluded Vaculick as well.

I thought track conditions played a bigger part in the incident than Lindgren, on a decent track Woffinden would have been alright IMO, even if there was minimal contact.

At the time Vaculick came down, I don't think there was any need for him to lay it down, credit to him for anticipating an incident (or so it turned out to be), but it was an incident that could have, in theory, never have occurred.

It was a "homer" decision, I am yet to be convinced that makes it a right one.

Go on then I'll bite..

So Vaculik should have been excluded you say, for what? He should be commended for ensuring he was fully aware of what was going on around him, he would have known that Tai was heading straight into Pedersen, so he laid his bike down to avoid adding to the carnage.

Here, have another look, it's clear what he did,

• Like 1

Yes. And it's clear that mistakes were made with the original shale. Unfortunately, we don't live in an ideal world and mistakes happen. We can go on about it being unacceptable that this was the case for our showpiece meeting but it won't change anything.

I thought the salvage job performed on the track produced a track which, whilst not ideal, was by no means the worse track I have seen speedway performed on (including GP's for that matter) and served up a pretty good meeting.

Certainly the track, whilst not up to the same standard of those over the last few years, was no worse than plenty of others we have seen at Cardiff, and probably still better than most. Look at clips from 2007 and see riders really battling the track.

And look at my earlier post to see how many passes there were after heat 10. One or two riders were beaten by the track, the rest were giving it a good go.

your easy pleased then, it cost me best part of £700 quid all in to go to Cardiff, the worst bit about it was the racing.... Now if they expect you to pay top dollar to support the event then at least they should get their end right.. No excuses!!

It will get less and less each year if they don't do something about the extortionate cost aswell. I thought the way the riders were introduced was very good.... But overall it wasnt up to much as a spectacle IMO.

I feel Tai would have rode Lindgren's inside dive out if Nicki had not, by sheer chance, have happened to have been in his way. It was Tai T-boning Pedersen which caused him to fall.

But I don't think the slight contact was eough to cause the lifting and loss of control, however the contact could well have moved Tai out into one of the ruts and there we have a bad crash.

Niamh

Go on then I'll bite..

So Vaculik should have been excluded you say, for what? He should be commended for ensuring he was fully aware of what was going on around him, he would have known that Tai was heading straight into Pedersen, so he laid his bike down to avoid adding to the carnage.

Here, have another look, it's clear what he did,

vaculik clearly lays it down, but I'd love to know what Tai could have done?? Freddie goes up the inside and is still last at the crash, him doing that left Tai and Vaculik with no room... You simply can't charge up the inside and take another's line when still behind them surely??

Yellow was the cause of the stoppage and was rightly excluded. Had yellow not done that no one would have crashed.

• Like 1

your easy pleased then, it cost me best part of £700 quid all in to go to Cardiff, the worst bit about it was the racing.... Now if they expect you to pay top dollar to support the event then at least they should get their end right.. No excuses!!

It will get less and less each year if they don't do something about the extortionate cost aswell. I thought the way the riders were introduced was very good.... But overall it wasnt up to much as a spectacle IMO.

Well it's all subjective I suppose. But my post earlier shows there was plenty of 'racing' with passes in almost each heat.

But you talk about extortionate cost and then say you spent 700 quid! Well two of us took in the pairs at Somerset, a hotel room, a day in Cardiff and the GP and probably spent around a quarter of that. Including food, accommodation and petrol.

That's the thing. BSI don't expect you to pay top dollar. The cheapest ticket at Cardiff is £29. Did I get value for money for my £29? Absolutely. I think Cardiff is excellent value when compared to other speedway events. The Premier League Pairs, to watch Premier League standard riders in a stadium which cannot begin to compare to Cardiff, was £20. And, whilst others may beg to differ, I thought the Pairs was a poor meeting this year compared to those I have seen before. The ELRC, at Swindon, is £25. To stand on a grass bank, open to the elements, in October! A seat, in the Millennium Stadium, to watch an 'event' rather than just a speedway meeting, is only £4 more!

If people chose to spend £29 or £200 on their ticket for Cardiff, they are going to see the same meeting. And we all know, even with perfect track conditions, you can never guarantee a classic meeting.

Edited by G the Bee

I personally would have excluded Tai but don't think for one minute that it was a clear cut decision and in reality neither of them done much wrong and the track was largely to blame imo. Perhaps its time that there is the option to not exclude anybody in such an incident.

Well it's all subjective I suppose. But my post earlier shows there was plenty of 'racing' with passes in almost each heat.

But you talk about extortionate cost and then say you spent 700 quid! Well two of us took in the pairs at Somerset, a hotel room, a day in Cardiff and the GP and probably spent around a quarter of that. Including food, accommodation and petrol.

That's the thing. BSI don't expect you to pay top dollar. The cheapest ticket at Cardiff is £29. Did I get value for money for my £29? Absolutely. I think Cardiff is excellent value when compared to other speedway events. The Premier League Pairs, to watch Premier League standard riders in a stadium which cannot begin to compare to Cardiff, was £20. And, whilst others may beg to differ, I thought the Pairs was a poor meeting this year compared to those I have seen before. The ELRC, at Swindon, is £25. To stand on a grass bank, open to the elements, in October! A seat, in the Millennium Stadium, to watch an 'event' rather than just a speedway meeting, is only £4 more!

If people chose to spend £29 or £200 on their ticket for Cardiff, they are going to see the same meeting. And we all know, even with perfect track conditions, you can never guarantee a classic meeting.

sorry 700 was a typo it was just over 5, my mates who took their kids though spent roughly 700.....2 nights accommodation, tickets, travel, fuel, food, drink.

I don't doubt you could do it on a budget, but when your from the other end of the country, it's top dollar to go to the GP trust me :)