British Speedway Forum

Utter disgrace of a track and total embarassment for British Speedway. Anyone saying anything different to that is just being a creep and denying the truth.

Clearly you need to ask Emil because apparently he must think its great

Alternatively ask Freddie Lingdren why on a perfect track he stupidly fell off on his own

Sadly there are people who think BSI are beyond criticism but I agree with you entirely, its completely and utterly indefensible but looks like some influential people are defending it

Excuses.

Swedish commentator said before the GP that riders were still not happy with the track.

Also why do you always write like you were a BSI PR person rather then the magazine editor

you actually are? BSI and their staff did a very poor job with Cardiff this year.

Why cant you just admit that the track was really poor qnd unsafe.

With respect, the bloke has gone way beyond what any pr official with Bsi (Img) would be doing in passing on info to some frankly cretinous people on this forum. If you take out the contribution he has made on this subject alone, what we would have been left with ? Lindback's tweets, Pedersen's picture ? Wonderful...

I'm sure a good number of people travelling long distance were assured by his posts giving updates.

• Like 3

Just got back. An enjoyable day. Met the usual crowd I battle with on here. Much bigger crowd than I expected. Holding up very well though the top tier and cheaper ticket option is proving more popular than spending £60+ on a ticket! Track wise it was poor with no dirt but they did manage to keep it stuck together for the meeting to go ahead. Rollers packing it down every 4 heats. KK unlucky as he looked to have it sewn up and we knew Emil would probably do it at the second bite. Bad luck for Tai with his team mate causing the crash. Hope he is not out for long. Holder looking much better tonight but I feel picked the wrong gate in the semi. BSI got out of jail tonight and I hope they are more on the ball for next year. We don't want a repeat of tonights track.

Eurosport were again chuffed and their viewing figures so far are exceeding what Sky were getting. The official attendance was 38,760.

If that was the official attendance then I can only think previously reported attendances have been creative as the stadium looked pretty full. Rather a shame about the track as otherwise the GP came over quite well on the box.

Whilst acknowledging that track preparation isn't an exact science and the limitations of doing it in temporary venues, BSI have had 13 years to work out how to do it and still don't seem to be getting it right.

Most gutting thing about Tai's injury is that he jumped the start and in 99% of cases the red lights would have come on....

All ifs and buts though, finding Cardiff more and more boring each year, this is the World Championship, I want to see it decided on riding alone and not who avoids the most pot holes.

The brushing under the carpet of the track conditions just about sums up speedway right now, nobody is brave enough to speak out and say it like it is while on the gravy train.

Congratulations to Emil though, will make a worthy World Champion, such a shame that just as the series was shaping up to be a great battle that Tai picks up an unfortunate injury, hope he makes a return very soon.

Track was awful, riders bouncing around on bend 1 as well the problems on 3 and 4. Atmosphere went very flat after Tai's crash until the semi finals when things picked up again.

Racing wise the worst GP of the season to date, 1 maybe 2 genuine passes.

On the plus side, Woffy's bike ride fund raiser total topped £25k during the course of the meeting :D

I am not a creep and I am of a sound mind. I thought the track was poor which made the racing a bit of a lottery BUT people giving it 0 out of 10 and not going back and then saying they paid £60 for a ticket b******* I paid £29 for a great seat and had a great day. For god sake this is a forum but most people on it moan about everything. Most won't be happy until speedway dies then you won't have anything else to moan about then will you. 3 hour drive back to bristol now that was something to moan about

• Like 2

We have just got back home from Cardiff. Well below par meeting because of a very poor track. The ticket prices are high and the paying public deserve much better than that.

The riders did well to complete 23 heats. Well done to them all.

Saturday is lottery day and tthat was what racing was.. Emil was lucky to get to the final as Vaculik hit a rut in the semi final, Lindgren could have been badly hurt in his semi when hitting a rut and being catapulted into the ground. Riders struggled to ride around the bends in most heats. It was poor entertainment with very little passing.

Love speedway but that was rubbish.

Even by your usual pompous standards, that's a ridiculously patronising and contemptuous response to well-founded criticism and frustration about what's been happening since yesterday lunchtime,

Of course, unlike many of those 38,760 in attendance tonight, you didn't have to save up for several months (maybe even the whole year) to cover all the costs of a Grand Prix trip to Cardiff only to spend much of today wondering whether you were going to watch a meeting to match the occasion or something more akin to a demolition derby.

As it turned out, it wasn't too bad for most of the way but anyone connected with the sport should be very thankful no-one was seriously hurt in either the semis or the final rather than patting themselves on the back that the winner won't be complaining about the track.

On a personal note, I didn't go to the first-ever Cardiff GP in 2001 but I've been to all the others until missing out this year and having watched Eurosport this evening, I'm very glad to have saved my diesel/ticket/social money on this occasion.

I am usually a fan of Phil's posts and greatly appreciate his contributions to this form but he deserves every cutting word you have said.

Fine post :approve:

Worst GP I have had the misfortune to attend,Track was an UTTER DISGRACE,whoever was in charge of that Moto X Track needs to walk the plank,Don`t forget,The Paying public paid Top Dollar to watch The Best In The World Struggle To Ride that Horrendously prepared Track,JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH,on a lighter note Congrats To Emil,Think his time has come,richly deserved,and Best Wishes To Tai,Hope he is back dazzling us on a bike ASAP ......................................

I am not a creep and I am of a sound mind. I thought the track was poor which made the racing a bit of a lottery BUT people giving it 0 out of 10 and not going back and then saying they paid £60 for a ticket b******* I paid £29 for a great seat and had a great day. For god sake this is a forum but most people on it moan about everything. Most won't be happy until speedway dies then you won't have anything else to moan about then will you. 3 hour drive back to bristol now that was something to moan about

You're not a member of the BSPA, are you ?

I ask because your view is similar to some that members of that organisation state - basically, take what you are given and be grateful for it. If the gate is down next year, I'll wait for BSI making comments like 'we are wondering if the British speedway public really want a GP in their country'.

People paid a lot of money to go to that meeting (because this isn't just about the entry, its about getting there, overnight stays, meals etc) and therefore they have every right to complain if the product is poor.

You might have had a great day, but I'd say that every person who is making critical comments about the track is absolutely justified in doing so.

• Like 5

Eurosport were again chuffed and their viewing figures so far are exceeding what Sky were getting. The official attendance was 38,760.

Spotowefakte are quoting 50,000! Even allowing for overestimates i guess that puts us into the question of whether the 'official' figures only include turnstile clicks and not the actual physical numbers of people present?

On the topic of declining sports attendances worldwide and the very clear effects of financial depressions we shouldn't forget the effect of corporate bookings and the like. On a NASCAR programme the other day a promoter mentioned that until the last couple of years or so the corporate sector for his meeting used to purchase around 30,000 tickets and that has now fallen to.......wait for this.....800.

Maybe the corporate sector has completely disappeared from the SGP then lol.

Well, I finally made my first visit to the GP and it will probably be my only visit.

I paid £45 on the day. For that I got an impressive atmosphere and presentatrion, a high standard of riding but a desperately disappointing level of racing on an incompetent track, viewed from a seat with good sightlines but about as far out of the stadium as you can get.

I did not get value for money. Instead I am expected to make allowances. Charge me £20 and I might, but not £45. I'm lucky though - I only live an hour's train ride away so at least I didn't have the travel and accommodation costs of many.

I've learned my lesson. It was an experience, especially the squalid arrangements for ticket sales on the day. I know most book in advance but I only got the chance to go on the morning of the event.

Apart from the negative aspects of a poor meeting BSI's incompetent track robbed them of a prize asset on the night - a Brtish rider capable of winning the event. Yes I know they worked miracles to get it as close to right overnight. They shouldn't have had to.

It did remind me of Wembley though - the Ian Thomas indoor events at the Arena....

Well, I finally made my first visit to the GP and it will probably be my only visit.

I paid £45 on the day. For that I got an impressive atmosphere and presentatrion, a high standard of riding but a desperately disappointing level of racing on an incompetent track, viewed from a seat with good sightlines but about as far out of the stadium as you can get.

I did not get value for money. Instead I am expected to make allowances. Charge me £20 and I might, but not £45. I'm lucky though - I only live an hour's train ride away so at least I didn't have the travel and accommodation costs of many.

I've learned my lesson. It was an experience, especially the squalid arrangements for ticket sales on the day. I know most book in advance but I only got the chance to go on the morning of the event.

Apart from the negative aspects of a poor meeting BSI's incompetent track robbed them of a prize asset on the night - a Brtish rider capable of winning the event. Yes I know they worked miracles to get it as close to right overnight. They shouldn't have had to.

It did remind me of Wembley though - the Ian Thomas indoor events at the Arena....

I wanted to attend and was bringing a lapsed supporter, until he had to call off.

We've talked about attending next year, your post has almost decided this for me. Part of me still wants to attend, but I cannot justify the cost and building up the event with him, only for the racing to be of a poor standard. Got my credibility to think of too! :blink:

Edited by george.m

Have to say the track was very poor last night and the racing was no better also from where we sat the PA system was dire couldn't hear any of the interviews that said I've enjoyed this weekend we took in the Pairs at Somerset Friday evening which was a great meeting and we enjoyed yester DAY as well out and about around Cardiff we shall be back in 2014 for sure just hope they can get the track right next year .

THE riders were invited to have just two runs ion the track having cancelled practice on Friday. It was also only then that they could determine whether the restoration work had indeed succeeded. No matter how many times even riders walk a track they cannot be sure until they ride a speedway bike on it. The riders were happy while accepting that it would not be 100 per cent perfect... not that such a track necessarily makes for great racing anyway.

Just ask Emil if he had any complaints about the track? Of course he didn't but those who only watch via a TV screen can never experience the true value of the whole show that is the British GP at Cardiff.

Having appreciated your two previous posts, explaining the track situation, But you now lose all that credibility by the comments made in the post above. You come across as a BSI spokesperson rather then the editor of the SS. You say ask Emil for his comment on the track, but lets ask everyone else for their opinion. and the cencus will tell you it was rubbish. Their were a lot of plus factors, the Occasion, the atmoshpere, the quality of the crowd, But don't lets kid ourselves, the track was dire, elliminating any chance of good racing. The BSI messed up big time, and you trying to put some justification to it, belittles any contribution you may give.........

Echo the same comments as Steve Shovlar firstly.

I'm a little disappointed in the complete slating this GP is being given in relation to the track conditions and lack of value for money people have spent for this event. I've watched speedway for many years and being a Brit coming over from Melbourne to experience the weekend, I honestly can say we really enjoyed the pre meeting in the city with the signings, interviews and quite frankly the well respected crowds who gathered in Cardiff. Of course the track wasn't up to the standard it should be required at the top level, but it didn't alter my enjoyment of the night itself. Rider safety is paramount, but not once did I see a rider shake their head in displeasure at Tony Olsen during the meeting.

The display inside the stadium was very good I thought and the added drama of the rider introductions gave it that something special compared to any introduction before.

The racing was processional granted and Tai's heat win got the crowd fired up early on. The place definitely changed once Woffy was withdrawn which clearly left the stadium in a somber mood afterwards.

Harris won his Final so to speak with a brave move in that heat.

Holder naturally will be gutted not to make the Final.

Emil to his credit capitalised from then on, as after his first two rides on 2 points made me think he'd struggle, but all credit to him, and with Martin slipping up in the semi, Emil made it pay to the Final. Amazed KK took the gate he did for the Final and had to take his chance on the last lap to try and force Emil Wide.

Not the best GP but by far not the worst ever.

Had fantastic seats looking over the pit gate and bloody enjoyed the evening as a whole.

During the breaks I met quite a few moaning supporters downstairs!! Sweet lord people, it was as if you guys didn't want to be there from some of the comments I heard. What's wrong with people??!! Moaning about Harris instead of Kennett, which I kind of agree on in parts, and just miserable people who it didn't seemed to question why Tai all if a sudden has become a different rider this season, and some out if order questioning on his engines which I dismissed as complete tosh! These people know nothing!

On that note, I wish to thank all the riders who took the time for the fans with interviews and signings in the city. Tai especially, who has had one busy week with his charity ride. I salute you for your hard efforts and wish you a speedy recovery.

Apart from the track conditions, I couldn't think of anything more they could have done to give the fans the experience from the British GP.

Happy customer signing off!!

PS

Phillip, thank you. If it wasn't for your contribution here, we'd have been kept in the complete darkness, so thankful for your updates which se on here obviously don't appreciate. Sent em to Aus to unwind and Chillax!! It may make em better people who are not so angry at the slightest whim!

• Like 4