British Speedway Forum

So you would not consider a track that threw a classy operator like Freddie clean off his bike sending it careering towards NKI dangerous, really? When Freddie has made no error whatsoever. Where you have the likes of Tomasz and Greg holding off? Seriously, I must be wrong then - the things you learn on here.

Let me ask you, if Freddies bike had have sped off and collected NKI rather than narrowly missing him would you have been so philosophical?

I never said it is not dangerous. What I am saying is people have a choice, glamorous stadiums with temp tracks like Cardiff, and risk dodgy tracks like tonight, or we go for regular speedway tracks where we are more likely to get better tracks (unless it is Poole of course).

THE riders were invited to have just two runs ion the track having cancelled practice on Friday. It was also only then that they could determine whether the restoration work had indeed succeeded. No matter how many times even riders walk a track they cannot be sure until they ride a speedway bike on it. The riders were happy while accepting that it would not be 100 per cent perfect... not that such a track necessarily makes for great racing anyway.

Eurosport were again chuffed and their viewing figures so far are exceeding what Sky were getting. The official attendance was 38,760.

Wrong there mate. British GP's down the years have made for good racing, next year i hope they do things properly give it more time if its posible, save all this last minute rush if a problem arises, even if it has to bed in for a week. 38, 760, down on previous years then, even with the presence of Tai. Carrots spring to mind...

First of all, if it was truly dangerous, the riders would have refused to ride on it I am sure of that.

I never said it is not dangerous.

Can you see where I got confused in that case?

I agree that you wont get tracks as good as permanent tracks at these stadia, but they must be of a high enough standard to be race-able not merely rideable though as a minimum expectation. When tracks fall below that then organizers should expect to face criticism.

Just ask Emil if he had any complaints about the track? Of course he didn't but those who only watch via a TV screen can never experience the true value of the whole show that is the British GP at Cardiff.

Even by your usual pompous standards, that's a ridiculously patronising and contemptuous response to well-founded criticism and frustration about what's been happening since yesterday lunchtime,

Of course, unlike many of those 38,760 in attendance tonight, you didn't have to save up for several months (maybe even the whole year) to cover all the costs of a Grand Prix trip to Cardiff only to spend much of today wondering whether you were going to watch a meeting to match the occasion or something more akin to a demolition derby.

As it turned out, it wasn't too bad for most of the way but anyone connected with the sport should be very thankful no-one was seriously hurt in either the semis or the final rather than patting themselves on the back that the winner won't be complaining about the track.

On a personal note, I didn't go to the first-ever Cardiff GP in 2001 but I've been to all the others until missing out this year and having watched Eurosport this evening, I'm very glad to have saved my diesel/ticket/social money on this occasion.

Edited by arthur cross
  • Like 6

I agree that you wont get tracks as good as permanent tracks at these stadia, but they must be of a high enough standard to be race-able not merely rideable though as a minimum expectation. When tracks fall below that then organizers should expect to face criticism.

That was a better move than Harris in heat 9, I doth my cap.

Track was poor compared to the last few years at Cardiff.

Didn't enjoy the meeting as much as usual partly because of the racing and partly because of Tai's accident.

All things considered, BSI dodged a major bullet.....this year, may suffer from the ricochet next.

Edited by Fingersfin
  • Like 1

Just ask Emil if he had any complaints about the track?

Great point, I am sure that this would be the most objective way of gathering information, you should seek a career in journalism. ;)

Edited by JC!
  • Like 3

THE riders were invited to have just two runs ion the track having cancelled practice on Friday. It was also only then that they could determine whether the restoration work had indeed succeeded. No matter how many times even riders walk a track they cannot be sure until they ride a speedway bike on it. The riders were happy while accepting that it would not be 100 per cent perfect... not that such a track necessarily makes for great racing anyway.

Just ask Emil if he had any complaints about the track? Of course he didn't but those who only watch via a TV screen can never experience the true value of the whole show that is the British GP at Cardiff.

Eurosport were again chuffed and their viewing figures so far are exceeding what Sky were getting. The official attendance was 38,760.

Excuses.

Swedish commentator said before the GP that riders were still not happy with the track.

Also why do you always write like you were a BSI PR person rather then the magazine editor

you actually are? BSI and their staff did a very poor job with Cardiff this year.

Why cant you just admit that the track was really poor qnd unsafe.

From where I was sitting the motion of Freddie's bike suggested that it was a shedding of a chain more so than the fault of the track.

However, still doesn't get away from the fact that the track was unpredictable to say the least.

No Freddie said himself to Swedish media (SVt Sport):

"I found a hole at the third bend and i couldn't control my bike so i crashed".

So 100% track fault.

• Like 2

Excuses.

Swedish commentator said before the GP that riders were still not happy with the track.

Also why do you always write like you were a BSI PR person rather then the magazine editor

you actually are? BSI and their staff did a very poor job with Cardiff this year.

Why cant you just admit that the track was really poor qnd unsafe.

No Freddie said himself to Swedish media (SVt Sport):

"I found a hole at the third bend and i couldn't control my bike so i crashed".

So 100% track fault.

Fair enough. Track a shambles, well done to Emil!

Possibly the biggest load of garbage I've ever seen was that 2nite.. We get more entertaining racing at Kirky Lane on a Monday night & that's saying something!!!

Track was completely bald, unsafe & unwatered as always & the entertainment level for the racing was 0 out of 10. Watch the Bydgoszcz meeting again & then that drivel 2nite & I'm sure everyone would agree it was an embarrassment to the sport.

There's only so many yrs we can all keep going for the atmosphere which yes, is fantastic but when u get served up utter tripe like that 2nite I'm afraid people won't come back. Our party of 20 or so aren't interested in 2014 Cardiff at the moment & looks like the crowds r dwindling already given it was under 40,000 despite having a Brit 1 point off the championship lead.

We have the best line up ever since the GP's began so please for god's sake, give the guys a track to race on not a dry, slick, unsafe sandbowl.

Bydgoszcz 10/10, Cardiff 0/10. A hugely disappointing & forgettable night.

Edited by Bradford Ace
  • Like 1

doesnt matter what emil thinks....

these riders are going for a world title and as such they are so committed that sometimes they literally need to be saved from themselves..

you know more than most how these lads have nothing more than tunnel vision ie the world title is everything..,

the track was a total disgrace and freddie's crash in particular when the bike just 'stops' is often the most dangerous as the rider has simply no time to react or brace/defend himself..

very, very lucky tonight to see no major injuries.. (if as we do in our blase way class broken bones as minor) :o

still the viewing figures were good.. :icon_smile_clown:

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

The presentation was great, the racing a complete lottery! Tai's crash was nasty and I thought he went in to fast and a copy cat crash with Pedersen but didn't have the air fence to bounce off this time. KK was really unlucky but hope he carries on this form for Coventry. Lindback and AJ are just making up the numbers and Gollob was a man "with his head in the shed". Bombers gating is getting as legendary as his 2007 win !!

Not the best GP by far but still enjoyed watching it, I learned alittle about what actually goes on with a speedway bike after Scott Nicholls explanation. I thought Nicholls and the other guy were really good, funny but didn't go to far but I did think the comment about Scott being afraid of the dark was good and how Nicholls kept a straight face I don't know!! Also good to see Sophie back on screen. Be a shame if its just a 1 off.

• Like 1

Thought racing was boring and processional for many of the races but this was probably due to the state of the track. The track was awful and the bumps in it led to the accidents and lack of overtaking in many heats. When the riders went back to the pits after the race the tv showed the bikes jumping about. There were a few good races, Sophie was very good, as was Scott with his explanation about the adjustments they can make to the bike, and general comments.

There may be quite a few that do not return to Cardiff in 2014 after the shambles of the track.

• Like 1

Not really, I guess you should read before misquoting me hey? I actually agree, the track was not good tonight, but the point I am making is people need to expect such problems now and again on these temp tracks. If the temp tracks can not provide good, and safe racing then decisions needs to be made, Cardiff or Coventry in future years (or personally I would go for Kings Lynn, always superb racing).
  • Like 1

Thought racing was boring and processional for many of the races but this was probably due to the state of the track. The track was awful and the bumps in it led to the accidents and lack of overtaking in many heats. When the riders went back to the pits after the race the tv showed the bikes jumping about. There were a few good races, Sophie was very good, as was Scott with his explanation about the adjustments they can make to the bike, and general comments.

There may be quite a few that do not return to Cardiff in 2014 after the shambles of the track.

I was very nearly going (with a lapsed speedway fan) and eventually couldn't.

Supposed to be going next year instead. Can't see it happening now after that.

Too high a risk that it's money down the stank.

Track was terrible and atmosphere went very flat after Tai's terrible crash. Was gutted to see his round ended like that. I had money on Emil to win and KK E/W and still walked away dossapointed. Been for the last 5 years dont think ill bother next year. On another note dont bother going to the VIP Methanol Club vastly over priced for what it is

Not really, I guess you should read before misquoting me hey?

They are exact quotes from your posts, think our wires are crossed :blink: . There have been enough temporary tracks made now that they should never be as bad as that one, shame with so many people there.