British Speedway Forum

Just over a year ago we lost a speedway rider due to a dangerous track but year after year they hold a gp where ruts appear after only a couple of heats. It's not fair on asking the riders to ride on a dangerous track. It's also not fair on the playing public when you see world class riders like gollob/Hancock ect give up the ghost when 4th due to not wanting to risk it cos of the dangers.

Edited by josietoms
  • Like 3

It is easy to blame the track a disgrace, but sadly when you have these non-speedway venues, we are always going to get the odd year where the track is like this.

I just find it unacceptable that, when the organizers put the riders out on a poor and dangerous track, we should just shrug our shoulders and say 'that's life'? I am sure that the usual suspects will be here soon enough though to explain how we don't know just what goes into the track preparation, and how heroic the organizers are for getting us lucky people a meeting on in such difficult circumstances.

Edited by JC!
  • Like 1

I just find it unacceptable that, when the organizers put the riders out on a poor and dangerous track, we should just shrug our shoulders and say 'that's life'? I am sure that the usual suspects will be here soon enough though to explain how we don't know just what goes into the track preparation, and how heroic the organizers are for getting us lucky people a meeting on in such difficult circumstances.

First of all, if it was truly dangerous, the riders would have refused to ride on it I am sure of that. But we have to be realistic, at this temp speedway stadia we are never going to get 100% perfect tracks. But whilst the crowds flog to Cardiff and buy their tickets, they will keep hosting them there.

C'mon Paul. Tell that to Tai or Nicki.

I don't disagree with your observations that the track broke up in places. However, riders get injured in thousands of other meetings and there isn't a clamour to brand the track a disgrace etc. and there are matches raced throughout the world during the week on tracks that break up at times.

Surely you must have enjoyed parts of the meeting? Was also pleasing the stands weren't deserted and, to me anyways, seemed to be an improved crowd from last year?, unless they were more spaced out but not so much to leave huge gaps.

• Like 1

Track prep isn't an exact art,but we know the one thing they have got sorted is the temp tracks.If it wasn't down to a crazed tractor driver or the silencers it must be a few soppy truck drivers who get the blame,not the organizers.I mean come on honestly....the track wasn't good enough for a practice yesterday so why like i said this morning did they have one today hours before the meeting instead of using the hours to get it sorted,rather than ripped up again?Phil will tell us the truth when he gets back to the hotel

Edited by iris123

I don't disagree with your observations that the track broke up in places. However, riders get injured in thousands of other meetings and there isn't a clamour to brand the track a disgrace etc. and there are matches raced throughout the world during the week on tracks that break up at times.

Surely you must have enjoyed parts of the meeting? Was also pleasing the stands weren't deserted and, to me anyways, seemed to be an improved crowd from last year?, unless they were more spaced out but not so much to leave huge gaps.

A lot of what you say is true, but I would prefer to see quality racing when you have the world's top riders in a meeting.

A wasted opportunity.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 2

First of all, if it was truly dangerous, the riders would have refused to ride on it I am sure of that. But we have to be realistic, at this temp speedway stadia we are never going to get 100% perfect tracks. But whilst the crowds flog to Cardiff and buy their tickets, they will keep hosting them there.

So you would not consider a track that threw a classy operator like Freddie clean off his bike sending it careering towards NKI dangerous, really? When Freddie has made no error whatsoever. Where you have the likes of Tomasz and Greg holding off? Seriously, I must be wrong then - the things you learn on here.

Let me ask you, if Freddies bike had have sped off and collected NKI rather than narrowly missing him would you have been so philosophical?

Edited by JC!

Only got home in time to see the last 10 heats, had no idea of yesterday's practice issues.

I suppose they made the best of a bad job, but that track was dangerous and the meeting should have been abandoned.

Far too many riders hitting ruts and being catapulted everywhere and there were the injuries too.....how lucky was Freddie

It did make the processional heats more interesting in the sense of. who will 'come a cropper' unaided next..

Not good enough though, whatever the excuses...

Extremely disappointed. Cardiff is built up all year and then they ask riders to perform on that surface. Seems to me a few of them showed what they thought of it by their lack of effort and I don't blame them.

On the plus side massive well done to Eurosport. We saw the parade, heard the anthems, saw a few shots outside the stadium. We had a decent intelligent pits interviewer and presenters actually in the stadium and not cocooned in a box seperated from the atmosphere by glass. We saw all the racing and we saw the presentation despite it over-running. Best of all we discovered a gem. I'm not a big Scott Nicholls fan but he was excellent tonight. For the first time in 40+ years the basic workings of tuning were explained in a way I understood, he summarised well, he didn't sit on the fence he gave opinions and IMHO is probably the best rider used in broadcasting with the exception of the incomparable Johnno :lol: Dunno if he had private tuition in TV presenting skills but he was good.

• Like 7

THE riders were invited to have just two runs ion the track having cancelled practice on Friday. It was also only then that they could determine whether the restoration work had indeed succeeded. No matter how many times even riders walk a track they cannot be sure until they ride a speedway bike on it. The riders were happy while accepting that it would not be 100 per cent perfect... not that such a track necessarily makes for great racing anyway.

Just ask Emil if he had any complaints about the track? Of course he didn't but those who only watch via a TV screen can never experience the true value of the whole show that is the British GP at Cardiff.

Eurosport were again chuffed and their viewing figures so far are exceeding what Sky were getting. The official attendance was 38,760.

• Like 3

So you would not consider a track that threw a classy operator like Freddie clean off his bike sending it careering towards NKI dangerous, really? When Freddie has made no error whatsoever. Where you have the likes of Tomasz and Greg holding off? Seriously, I must be wrong then - the things you learn on here.

Let me ask you, if Freddies bike had have sped off and collected NKI rather than narrowly missing him would you have been so philosophical?

From where I was sitting the motion of Freddie's bike suggested that it was a shedding of a chain more so than the fault of the track.

However, still doesn't get away from the fact that the track was unpredictable to say the least.

Just ask Emil if he had any complaints about the track? Of course he didn't but those who only watch via a TV screen can never experience the true value of the whole show that is the British GP at Cardiff.

Don't know how many times we are going to get stuff like "Just ask Emil if he had any complaints...." :icon_smile_clown: As it goes there have in just a short period of time been many complaints about the track from fans who were there.Modern technology and all that new fangled stuff eh!

• Like 3

Just on way back from cardiff really enjoyable day they put on a great show. The track looked rough so credit to the riders. Well done to bomber involved in a great race but he is slower from the gate than my step son getting out of bed in the morning. Bloody love the GPs

Much better coverage by Eurosport than sky, well done.

Scott Nicholls & Sophie Nicholls Blake were a refreshing change and did a brilliant job.

Respect to all the riders for riding on the track and giving their all. Also thank you to all the people who worked all night & day on the track to get the meeting on.

Gutted for Tai as such a build up to the meeting with his bike race and the buzz surrounding him & then such a cruel end to the night for him. Really hope he has a speedy recovery.

Was very pleased with the 3 riders on the podium although did feel for Kasprzak who was leading the first attempt of the final but lost out in the rerun. Very happy for Emil on his win, hes flying.

Congratulations to Kasprzak on the new Cardiff track record

Edited by mdmc82
  • Like 2