British Speedway Forum

As Philip Rising has pointed out more than once-it`s the FIM that set the GP prize money rates

they are not secret-all in USD

1ST 12000

2ND 8800

3RD 7200

4TH 6200

5TH/6TH 5200

7TH/8TH 4600

9TH 3850

10TH 3700

11TH 3650

12TH 3600

13TH 3550

14TH 3500

15TH 3450

16TH 3400

17TH/18TH 1000

For GP`s in Europe the rider pays for travel/hotels himself.

Not massive wages are they considering the Riders pay their own Travel and Hotels? I reckon BSI must be very mean if they can't pay Rider's Expenses. Obviously BSI will be making a lot more out of their association with Speedway than they are prepared to put in.

CHEAPSKATES!!

In comparison to most other Sports I suppose it shows the level to which Speedway has now fallen. :sad:

Not massive wages are they considering the Riders pay their own Travel and Hotels? I reckon BSI must be very mean if they can't pay Rider's Expenses. Obviously BSI will be making a lot more out of their association with Speedway than they are prepared to put in.

CHEAPSKATES!!

In comparison to most other Sports I suppose it shows the level to which Speedway has now fallen. :sad:

Are you suprised?

The BSI are a complete and utter disgrace despite what Phillip Rising says, It's a shambles that riders get paid a pittance and then riders end up asking for silly money in the leagues in order to compensate for their GP season as it's extremely expensive and all this while league's develop riders for the BSI to cherry pick.

The sooner the BSI leave speedway the better, Along with their personal stooge!

• Like 1

Are you suprised?

The BSI are a complete and utter disgrace despite what Phillip Rising says, It's a shambles that riders get paid a pittance and then riders end up asking for silly money in the leagues in order to compensate for their GP season as it's extremely expensive and all this while league's develop riders for the BSI to cherry pick.

The sooner the BSI leave speedway the better, Along with their personal stooge!

That is why I don't have you on ignore. GREAT Post. :t::approve: :approve:

Yet in absolute and real terms, the riders earn more today from the gps than they did from the old world champs. i think that suggests that it is fim that are the stooges . of course riders costs have gone up as well due to the increased professionalia required - more bikes, support team etc.

Bsi pay a fee to fim, with agreement that fim set and pay prize money - so either fim are not putting a fair amount into the pot, or they under negotiated at contract time - either way it seems unfair to blame Bsi.

• Like 2

Yet in absolute and real terms, the riders earn more today from the gps than they did from the old world champs. i think that suggests that it is fim that are the stooges . of course riders costs have gone up as well due to the increased professionalia required - more bikes, support team etc.

Bsi pay a fee to fim, with agreement that fim set and pay prize money - so either fim are not putting a fair amount into the pot, or they under negotiated at contract time - either way it seems unfair to blame Bsi.

You may be right - but - they are still Leeching on to Speedway's coat tails and bleeding it dry.

Oh!! and let's not forget the bl**dy stupid Rules they, along with SKY, have been responsible for.

Edited by The White Knight

CHEAPSKATES!!

You think so?. What other minority sport can a competitor earn $12,000 dollars for a nights work. It is certainly, even in real terms, far in excess of what a rider earned from the old world championship when speedway was more mainstream

Of course the £12,000 is nothing to do with BSI. It is the FIM who set pay scales and them who are responsible for the payments.

On your other point of BSI making money, whatever next, a commercial organisation trying to make profit.

If the UK leagues were run the same way rather than the attitude of "everythings a bit sh!t but everyone is doing their best" then the the sport over here could be looking to make profit

Edited by Oldace
  • Like 2

You think so?. What other minority sport can a competitor earn $12,000 dollars for a nights work. It is certainly, even in real terms, far in excess of what a rider earned from the old world championship when speedway was more mainstream

Of course the £12,000 is nothing to do with BSI. It is the FIM who set pay scales and them who are responsible for the payments.

On your other point of BSI making money, whatever next, a commercial organisation trying to make profit.

If the UK leagues were run the same way rather than the attitude of "everythings a bit sh!t but everyone is doing their best" then the the sport over here could be looking to make profit

That's your view Oldace and you are entitled to it. I only know what I see - and I believe that League Speedway in this Country has gone downhill since the advent of BSI.

AND do you honestly believe that is the only reason?

No - I don't - but - in the context of the Discussion it is the way I feel. You may not like that Philip - BUT - I am not alone in this, believe me.

So let me get this straight the reason we have crumbling stadiums ,terrible crowds ,extortionate entrance fees & a poor standard of racing is all down to the BSI ? ! Rubbish

Maybe you are correct about most of those but most stadiums are rented and as for the standard of racing ..... get to Monmore Green more often !!

JUST out of curiosity TWK, in what way do you think British speedway would be different today without the advent of the SGP series, which don't forget was with us even before BSI came on the scene?

I'm almost certain that there would be more of the top Riders riding in the UK were it not for the GPs. More British Tracks could Race on a Friday/Saturday Night were there no GPs.

It's late, Ive just come in and I am knackered. But these are TWO ways I think British Speedway would be different nowadays. That's just off the top of my head.

Oh!! ...................... and more Riders would QUALIFY for the World Championship in whatever form it took as places would not be given out/gifted like they are at present by BSI.

Now there are THREE ways - I nearly forgot that one. There will be more but I am unable to think straight at present. (TIRED - NOT Drunk).

I may add to this List tomorrow if I can remember.

So let me get this straight the reason we have crumbling stadiums ,terrible crowds ,extortionate entrance fees & a poor standard of racing is all down to the BSI ? ! Rubbish

I NEVER said that Rob. Please don't misquote me. :angry: :angry:

Edited by The White Knight

I'm almost certain that there would be more of the top Riders riding in the UK were it not for the GPs..

I might be wrong, but I seriously doubt that the SGP series actually has much impact on who is racing in the leagues in the UK.

I think that is more about the money on offer and the time/effort required to compete over here...As you yourself mentioned, the money on offer from the GP meetings isn't spectacular,,,The other leagues that pay well that weren't available or quite so lucrative in the past are more relevant to the lack of top talent in the UK.

Back when the one day finals were around, the British league was King and the main pay day for riders, but now Poland, Sweden, Russia, Denmark, Germany, Czech Republic, etc, offer other options that can be more lucrative without the worry of having to get bikes across the Channel.

Oh!! ...................... and more Riders would QUALIFY for the World Championship in whatever form it took as places would not be given out/gifted like they are at present by BSI.

I've never been a fan of this argument. Yes, the organisers of the series have some picks available to them, but in most years they work out better than those who qualified from outside the series, which suggests that they do a good job with the selections.

Remember, there are only 4 out 15 places that are "given out/gifted". The other 11 qualify, and fairly often at least one of those "gifts" goes to a top star that has suffered an injury in the previous season.

To White Knight I never said you did it was a general post aimed at those slagging off the BSi. Apologies.

Sorry mate.

Just a misunderstanding.

My apologies too.

All the best.

Ian