British Speedway Forum

The more I see him race the more I think Grigori Laguta would be a welcome addition to the GP scene. Have either of the brothers ridden in the UK ? and if not does anyone know if their absence is due to visa timing or something else (they have no problem getting into Sweden and Denmark ). It surely is imperative that someone picked as a wildcard is available to do every round.

Neither have raced in the UK. Wasn't it suggested a couple of years that they're unable to get UK visas (nor is their nephew - their sisters son - Vadem Taraseko) because of their uncles strong links with dodgy members of the KGB? Or did I read a comment someone made being funny and fell for it? The fact neither Laguta or their nephew have ridden here before and 2 of the have had visas refused isn't really a good sign though, sadly. I'd love to see one of the Lagutas in the GPs, ideally Grig.

The more I see him race the more I think Grigori Laguta would be a welcome addition to the GP scene. Have either of the brothers ridden in the UK ? and if not does anyone know if their absence is due to visa timing or something else (they have no problem getting into Sweden and Denmark ). It surely is imperative that someone picked as a wildcard is available to do every round.

I've seen claims that Laguta considers to change to a Latvian license for next year, which would mean that he would not need a VISA since Latvia is a member state of the European Union.

I've seen claims that Laguta considers to change to a Latvian license for next year, which would mean that he would not need a VISA since Latvia is a member state of the European Union.

The Visa requirement is down to nationality not what licence one might have, so riding under a Latvian licence would not remove the visa requirement

Niamh

The Visa requirement is down to nationality not what licence one might have, so riding under a Latvian licence would not remove the visa requirement

Niamh

True.

However I assume that there is a citizenship connected to the license.

If you want to have a Swedish license you need a Swedish citizenship which means that the citizenship is connected to the license.

If it works the same in Latvia and Laguta wants a Latvian license he also would need a Latvian citizenship and with a such the VISA rules does not apply to him.

Again I am not sure what the Latvian license rules says and perhaps it is possible to have a Latvian license with a Russian citizenship.

Does Emil race on a Russian passprt, and if so, why do the Laguta brothers have issues but not Emil?

Surely with sufficient organisation ((given that the GP draw is knon at start of season, they'd have many months to be sorted) VISA's should be obtainable for sports persons with presumably no major criminal convictions?

grrrRRRRR hate the 'Flag of Convenience' being used in sports.

• Like 1

grrrRRRRR hate the 'Flag of Convenience' being used in sports.

Generally I agree but if as a Russian you can't win the GP series (even if your qualify because you'll have to miss a round) then it's understandable to want to take out an EU passport so you can get into the UK and become World Champion.

Rune Holta doing it made no sense to me, it did him no favours. Not that it caused him any bother either.

THE difference with Rune was that it was essentially to allow him to ride for Poland (not the country of his birth) in the World Cup, which he did winning gold or more than one occasion.

There has been some mutterings that the Laguta brothers were looking to ride for Latvia next year but I believe that has been blocked by the FIM.

But it's hardly just speedway is it? An Irishman helping England win a cricket match in Dublin yesterday.

THE difference with Rune was that it was essentially to allow him to ride for Poland (not the country of his birth) in the World Cup, which he did winning gold or more than one occasion.

There has been some mutterings that the Laguta brothers were looking to ride for Latvia next year but I believe that has been blocked by the FIM.

But it's hardly just speedway is it? An Irishman helping England win a cricket match in Dublin yesterday.

TWO Irishmen actually. :t:

Eoin Morgan and Boyd Rankin.

Are there still not South African accents abounding in the England dressing room?

I don't really follow or watch cricket and whilst waiting for a parcel delivery a few years ago i turned on an England test match and found it hilarious that were were multiple non-English accents during the interviews. Players whose names i had only seen in headlines and the media were NOT English!

Mind you i think the biggest culprits are the USA with their tennis, gymnasts and other sporting stars.

Edited by manchesterpaul