British Speedway Forum

name='blupanther' timestamp='1382377289' post='2363532']

He was looking ok for a top 8 place until Tai said 'hello'[/b], and deserves a wild card more than the two swedes who have apparently both got one...

Gollob was injured for two GPs, how many GPs did Holder and Ward miss?

Ward and Holder receiving wild cards are not being questioned by anyone as far as I can see, so I don't understand your point...

Its not really that hard is it?

You claim that Gollob missed out on top 8 due to his injury but failed to acknowledge that other riders have been injured as well.

It's easy to say that if Gollob wouldn't have been injured he would have been top 8. That is not correct though since you can say the same about Chris Holder..

Had Holder been injury free all season he would have been top 8 and Gollob would still have been outside top 8.

Simply it proves that Gollob missed out on top 8 because he wasn't good enough and not because he was injured.

Edited by Ghostwalker

Its not really that hard is it?

You claim that Gollob missed out on top 8 due to his injury but failed to acknowledge that other riders have been injured as well.

It's easy to say that if Gollob wouldn't have been injured he would have been top 8. That is not correct though since you can say the same about Chris Holder..

Had Holder been injury free all season he would have been top 8 and Gollob would still have been outside top 8.

Simply it proves that Gollob missed out on top 8 because he wasn't good enough and not because he was injured.

So, you don't think Gollob deserves a pick, I get it. However, that's a bit harsh considering his GP record...

If Gollob, Holder, Sayfutdinov & Ward had all competed in all 11 GPs and had maintained their averages the overall result may have been something like this:-

01- Tai Woffinden 151

02- Darcy Ward 146

03- Jarek Hampel 142

04- Emile Sayfutdinov 139

05- Neils Kristian Iversen 132

06- Chris Holder 129

06- Greg Hancock 129

08- Niki Pedersen 121

09- Matej Zagar 110

10- Tomasz Gollob 98

My conclusion is therefore that as it is usually the real top 10 who are retained the above riders would seem to be justifiably selected. I would however have liked to have seen all those who had won at least one GP given a ticket to ride which would have seen Adrian Miedzinski also chosen. I can understand that at least one Swede needed to be included which on last season's performances would be Freddie Lindgren. This then leaves the 3 places available from the Challenge. My wild cards are therefore Gollob, Holder, Lindgren & Miedzinski.

If Gollob, Holder, Sayfutdinov & Ward had all competed in all 11 GPs and had maintained their averages the overall result may have been something like this:-

01- Tai Woffinden 151

02- Darcy Ward 146

03- Jarek Hampel 142

04- Emile Sayfutdinov 139

05- Neils Kristian Iversen 132

06- Chris Holder 129

06- Greg Hancock 129

08- Niki Pedersen 121

09- Matej Zagar 110

10- Tomasz Gollob 98

My conclusion is therefore that as it is usually the real top 10 who are retained the above riders would seem to be justifiably selected. I would however have liked to have seen all those who had won at least one GP given a ticket to ride which would have seen Adrian Miedzinski also chosen. I can understand that at least one Swede needed to be included which on last season's performances would be Freddie Lindgren. This then leaves the 3 places available from the Challenge. My wild cards are therefore Gollob, Holder, Lindgren & Miedzinski.

Edited by barrow boy

Lindgren is a pathetic choice. Only once in his gp career has he made the final eight. Another wild card, seriously? Shocking. As dull as dishwater and was way down the pecking order in the Poland and Sweden averages with exciting young talent like Dudek and MJJ above him. Hes decent enough in the UK but apart from that is medicore at best on the continent.

Jonsson I can kind of understand, he missed a few rounds few injury. It was only two years ago he was world number 2. A very exciting rider and is still world class in the leagues. Last chance saloon for him I would say, I can accept his wild card.

Gollob deserves his, as much as he was not interested at times hes been one of the top riders in the world for well over a decade and is exciting as well. If he doesnt make the top 8 this season then I would say goodbye though.

Holder is an obvious choice.

Disgusted that Lindgren got another selection. Should of gone to MJJ. He is higher in the top two leagues in world speedway, IMO is more exciting, is younger, more potential and has impressed in his wild card showings, even winning one. So what if it was his home GP, despite being WC three times Nicki P still hasnt one a Danish GP in his career. Home GPS mean sod all.

• Like 1

My conclusion is therefore that as it is usually the real top 10 who are retained the above riders would seem to be justifiably selected.

I disagree with this since there is no point then in having 8 qualifiers and 4 wild cards. If they always gives two wild cards to nr 9 and 10

then why not just have top 10+Freddie Lindgren automatically qualified and one wild card? because that is how the system currently works.

Tony Olsson have also confirmed that Laguta was never asked.

Gollob deserves his, as much as he was not interested at times hes been one of the top riders in the world for well over a decade and is exciting as well. If he doesnt make the top 8 this season then I would say goodbye though.

Gollob used to be a top rider but as you say this year he looked quite uninterested for many GPs. So why wast a wild card on someone who can't be bothererd to "show up" for half of the rounds?

Lindgren is a pathetic choice. Only once in his gp career has he made the final eight. Another wild card, seriously? Shocking. As dull as dishwater and was way down the pecking order in the Poland and Sweden averages with exciting young talent like Dudek and MJJ above him. Hes decent enough in the UK but apart from that is medicore at best on the continent.

Jonsson I can kind of understand, he missed a few rounds few injury. It was only two years ago he was world number 2. A very exciting rider and is still world class in the leagues. Last chance saloon for him I would say, I can accept his wild card.

Holder is an obvious choice.

Disgusted that Lindgren got another selection. Should of gone to MJJ. He is higher in the top two leagues in world speedway, IMO is more exciting, is younger, more potential and has impressed in his wild card showings, even winning one. So what if it was his home GP, despite being WC three times Nicki P still hasnt one a Danish GP in his career. Home GPS mean sod all.

Ridiculous statement!

Riss, Dugard , MJJ, Zmarlik, Miedzinski, Jonasson, Franc, and im sure there are many others that ive missed. These riders performed above their ability in the gp as it was in their own country on tracks they knew.

As for Lindgren i agree with you on that one.

Laguta, MJJ or Dudek would have added some spice into the 2014 series. Lindgren and Jonsson will add nothing, and will be odds on to finish outside the top 8 again. Very disappointing...

How quickly you Brits forget all the years the rest of the speedway world had to watch Harris and Nicholls getting a wild card year after year. So you shouldn't really say anything.

• Like 4

Laguta, MJJ or Dudek would have added some spice into the 2014 series. Lindgren and Jonsson will add nothing, and will be odds on to finish outside the top 8 again. Very disappointing...

I understand what you are saying and agree but you never know what might happen.

Gollob was seemingly past it when he won.

Nobody would have predicted Tai winning it or Iversen 3rd so i will reserve judgement.

That said i cant see either making top 8

This asking info was from this same thread about a week ago, relied on a polish portal that eventually had 3 from 4 correct...

This asking info was from this same thread about a week ago, relied on a polish portal that eventually had 3 from 4 correct...

Tony Olsson saying for Race magazine in Sweden that Laguta was never even asked, just Polish sites stirring...

http://www.racemagazine.se/tony-olsson-om-wc-tilldelningen-vi-var-overens-tidigt/

Edited by f-s-p

How quickly you Brits forget all the years the rest of the speedway world had to watch Harris and Nicholls getting a wild card year after year. So you shouldn't really say anything.

The GP should involve the worlds top 15 riders, irrespective of where they come from. I have always said that...

What is Harris doing at no19?

Was'nt he just a wild card at Poole? I thought he'd already been knocked out in an earlier qualifier or did he qualify as reserve for Poole?

He was and the in the Challenge he finished as 2nd reserve for the series. One thing worth noting is that only 3 qualified subs for next season giving the organizers a bit of room for passing candidates not good enough..."Should any more riders be required as substitutes during the 2014 season, the SGP Commission will nominate the rider."

• Like 1

No he came in as a late 'replacement'. Strange though as I believe a German rider was next in line.

Daniel King was the wildcard. Chris Harris got knocked out the qualifiers in the first round in Sankt Johann in Austria with a 13th place...

• Like 1