British Speedway Forum

British Final 13th May 2013

Post 77 the Chris Harris Wild card thread - Philip Rising say's

"IT will be forthcoming, certainly in SS next week after we have caught up with BSI boss Paul Bellamy in Gothenburg. My information is that the BSPA were informed that the British Final would no longer be a stepping stone to Cardiff some time ago. "

What's some time ago, 2 weeks, 2 months? If it truly was months and months ago then of course they should have put the information out there 100%.

What's some time ago, 2 weeks, 2 months? If it truly was months and months ago then of course they should have put the information out there 100%.

They knew in October.

Harris really is a bitter plonker, couldn't resist a dig at the fact it was on Tai's home track. Shame Cook didn't end up on the podium and I still don't get the hype over Worrall.

He's turned from hero to zero. Struggling to get over the fact he's not top dog anymore.

• Like 1

Now that Woffinden has finally won on his home track hopefully the event will be moved now to a more neutral track. Or a series of 3 meetings at say Berwick, Ipswich and Somerset would be good.

This meeting would be fantastic at a track like Berwick or Kings Lynn I think. Nice and fast. That'll sort the men from the boys.

Now that Woffinden has finally won on his home track hopefully the event will be moved now to a more neutral track. Or a series of 3 meetings at say Berwick, Ipswich and Somerset would be good.

Then it's up to other tracks to apply to run the meeting. For all we know Wolverhampton was the only track that bid to have the meeting.

• Like 3

Rosco im STILL ;) waiting for heats 23 and 24 to start!!! :lol: ,whens it happening?

Very impressed with Jason Garrity,from when i first saw him at rye house to now hes a completely diff rider.I know michael Lee has helped a bit but it just shows how you can improve with someone willing to work hard with someone whos been world champion ,to show him the way.Now michael a plee from me to help Lewis Bridger.

• Like 1

Tai fully deserved but British speedway is in huge decline. Cool very good but do we seriously think he could be a gp rider in years to come? Worrall and Garrity will prob never be good enough. King and Kennett have got as far as they can remind me of Howe and Stead 5 years back! Nichols and Harris on downgrade yet quite comfortably were 2nd and 3rd. Face facts people there is pretty much nobody apart from Tai who could be in the gp series in the next 5 years.

Agree

I quite enjoyed the meeting last night but I couldn't help thinking about how far we are behind the major speedway nations these days.

Looking just at the elite league (assuming my calculations are correct) and the current green sheet averages the top 6 British riders from last night average a total of 44.11. The other nations in the elite league (which ignores those riders who are not currently riding over here) come in at -

Sweden 42.51 excludes Lindback & Jonsson

Denmark 46.80 excludes N Pedersen

Poland 38.31 excludes Gollob and Hampel

Australia 46.59

And all of these nations seem to have a number of promising young riders coming through the ranks whereas I wonder if we still do? No disrespect meant to any rider its seems that are simply not enough of them coming through our leagues and also getting rides across Europe.

I think Scott Nicholls had a really good point about the lack of support from the BSPA as compared to the other countries governing bodies. More track time, more training and more mentoring could really make a difference. Support and management to give our riders opportunities in Europe. A full time team manager with the responsibility to develop British riders at all levels of the sport. All down to funding I know but maybe there is a sponsor out there who would fund the management role in return for the advertising and marketing opportunities of being The British Team sponsor. Its a real problem in my opinion having the individual owners of the clubs also responsible for developing the sport, probably a separate body for development would be beneficial?

With Scott no longer available for the world cup our team the outlook for us is pretty poor so perhaps it is time to give a couple of the young riders a go at the world cup and let them have the development opportunities over a few seasons to see if they can become the talent that we need. Particulary since this year I can not see us qualifying for the final in any event.

Probably the wrong thread for this rant but as I say last nights meeting got me thinking :D

This meeting would be fantastic at a track like Berwick or Kings Lynn I think. Nice and fast. That'll sort the men from the boys.

And what a spectacle that would be.

The men being half a lap infront of the boys.Thats sure to bring in the crowds.

Ipswich that place is a hole why on earth Ipswich

Edited by Agrotron

And what a spectacle that would be.

The men being half a lap infront of the boys.Thats sure to bring in the crowds.

Yea we never saw any of that last night :rolleyes: thou I like Wolves as a track it' a joke to have it at the same place every year and just unfair to be honest .

Edited by orion

I THINK you also have to look at the geography. Wolverhampton is centrally placed and that must be a consideration for the fans surely?

The fans? Of course, the number one consideration of the BSPA!!

• Like 2

Which Woffinden would have still won with the same top 6 most likely.

Not really sure what the point is.

Why don't the BSPA ballot all British riders which track they think is best for racing, entertainment apart from there home track and then decide on the track for the British Final.

Most riders like Kings Lynn, Somerset and Scunthorpe are great racetracks ... As for fans , corporate hospitality is the key and Wolverhampton only looks busy because there is one stand ..