British Speedway Forum

Chris Harris Cardiff Wild Card

Did someone really say that because chris harris will be at cardiff then they won't ,well in the words of victor meldrew I DON'T BELIEVE IT. Reading all this bile about mr harris I can only presume he is a really unpleasant person and a stain on society. Well personally I am glad he is there and I hope he does well after all he is a brit and he gave me one of my fondest memories when he won the GP in 2007. Best of luck to all.

To be honest I was 50/50 to go or not, but I just can't stand the way that BSI are running roughshod over the national leagues. I will be watching it on TV, just not giving BSI my money.

yep indeed ya another speedway fan who believes everything they hear lol.Does make me laugh.

Are you struggling to read plain English. We all know BSI have the total say, FIM approval is a mere formality, they have no say in the selection. Is that clear enough even for you. For the less stupid among us I explained it more concisely 3 days ago

I like Scott Nicholls as he is a rider that always gives his all. I would have picked him to get the wild card based on last nights British Championship result as he beat Bomber in the final. That was a good system to reward performance on the track.

But we now have new rules,

Scott shows no ambition to get into the GP series. At least Bomber is showing the ambition to get into the GP series so he deserves the chance at Cardiff. His form on the continent is good so he will be more on the pace than riders like Lundstrom in Sweden.

We dont have a young rider good enough to compete. Cook looks promising but maybe one year too early for him.

Id quite like to ride at Cardiff doesnt mean im good enough. Harris has so many chances and done nothing. Cook would of scored as much as Harris will

what evidence do you have to back that comment up ? How many GP riders has he beaten consistently ?

Edited by marky

what evidence do you have to back that comment up ? How many GP riders has he beaten consistently ?

Pretty tough when he doesn't get to ride against many.

How many does Harris beat regularly?? Do you think Harris will make any impact on the meeting? (Semi or Final) Cook would of been good for 3-4 points which is where Harris will end up

Plenty. I'm not a big Harris fan, he has had plenty of chances, but has proved he can win a GP and was top 8. Cook has done nothing bar show promise, he was miles behind in the final last night. So you must be guessing he'll do as well as Bomber, that's all I'm trying to say.

Harris could make a semi. No chance of Cook doing the same at this stage of his career.

Edited by marky

It never ceases to amuse me just how people change their alleged 'views' to suit their argument at a particular time.

This time last year we had folk bitching and whining because Scott Nicholls had won the British Final and thus gained the Cardiff pick. Now many of the same faces are at it again because the pick is no longer decided from the British Final.

This time last year and in many previous years we have folk bitching and whining that riders had scored highly in the 5 qualifying races only to lose out to a lower scorer in the one-off final... who was the 2nd highest scorer in the British Final behind Woffinden? Ah yes, Chris Harris. But wait, ignore that, we didn't mean it.. its all about the one off final!! (when it suits us).

Thinking about it, many of those faces crying out on this thread for a Cook or a Worrall to have been the wildcard are the same faces who were bitching and moaning that Woffinden was given a place in the GP's this year.

The reality is quite simple, Chris Harris IS the best chance of success out of the British riders at the moment. It may be a slim one, but at the current moment he is still above the rest of the pack. Cook, Worrall etc, their time will I am sure come and they will earn it.

• Like 3

It never ceases to amuse me just how people change their alleged 'views' to suit their argument at a particular time.

This time last year we had folk bitching and whining because Scott Nicholls had won the British Final and thus gained the Cardiff pick. Now many of the same faces are at it again because the pick is no longer decided from the British Final.

This time last year and in many previous years we have folk bitching and whining that riders had scored highly in the 5 qualifying races only to lose out to a lower scorer in the one-off final... who was the 2nd highest scorer in the British Final behind Woffinden? Ah yes, Chris Harris. But wait, ignore that, we didn't mean it.. its all about the one off final!! (when it suits us).

Thinking about it, many of those faces crying out on this thread for a Cook or a Worrall to have been the wildcard are the same faces who were bitching and moaning that Woffinden was given a place in the GP's this year.

The reality is quite simple, Chris Harris IS the best chance of success out of the British riders at the moment. It may be a slim one, but at the current moment he is still above the rest of the pack. Cook, Worrall etc, their time will I am sure come and they will earn it.

GOOD post...

I like Scott Nicholls as he is a rider that always gives his all. I would have picked him to get the wild card based on last nights British Championship result as he beat Bomber in the final. That was a good system to reward performance on the track.

Scott shows no ambition to get into the GP series. At least Bomber is showing the ambition to get into the GP series so he deserves the chance at Cardiff.

We dont have a young rider good enough to compete. Cook looks promising but maybe one year too early for him.

The only ambition Harris has shown is to get another charity gift from the organisers. Is banking on yet another free ride really 'showing ambition'?

Look at Iversen last year for a rider really showing ambition. His career wasn't really going anywhere, but he reassessed his whole outlook on the sport and through hard work, transformed his fortunes. Qualifying for the GP series by right, winning his National Championships and becoming one of the worlds top league riders.

I sat watching Sky's coverage in disbelief last night, not once did they think of questioning Harris' Wild Card for Cardiff or any of his picks in the past. All they had was a long drawn out talk about Harris getting back in the series full time. Personally I can't think of anything worse. It's beyond a farce the number of opportunities Harris has had and I'm surprised riders have taken this long to be more vocal about it.

Sadly the consequence of this constant charity is a rider who now has delusions of grandeur. Sad really as he used to be quite likeable...

JT.

Edited by JT

The only ambition Harris has shown is to get another charity gift from the organisers. Is banking on yet another free ride really 'showing ambition'?

you could be right but he is trying to qualify under his own steam this season.

I wouldn't have a problem with Harris riding at Cardiff if he actually qualified for it, like riders have done in the recent past. What I do have a problem with is the amount of charity afforded to one rider. Changing the boundaries to suit one man isn't only unfair, it's farcical.

I also think it's held Harris back as a rider. He hasn't had to improve himself as a rider because he's always expected to be picked the next year. The sooner he realises he isn't World Class anymore, and sets out to improve himself accordingly, the better. (See my Iversen reference above).

JT.

Edited by JT

I sat watching Sky's coverage in disbelief last night, not once did they think of questioning Harris' Wild Card for Cardiff or any of his picks in the past. All they had was a long drawn out talk about Harris getting back in the series full time. Personally I can't think of anything worse. It's beyond a farce the number of opportunities Harris has had and I'm surprised riders have taken this long to be more vocal about it.

Sadly the consequence of this constant charity is a rider who now has delusions of grandeur. Sad really as he used to be quite likeable...

JT.

What was there to question? Harris was the 2nd highest scorer. If the younger riders want in the series, beat the older ones. Quite simple.

What was there to question? Harris was the 2nd highest scorer. If the younger riders want in the series, beat the older ones. Quite simple.

But it isn't quite that simple is it? If they had out scored Harris yesterday, they still wouldn't have had the opportunity, because BSI had already given the place away.

Same with Jepsen Jensen last season, he won a Grand Prix and they still gave a full time place to a Brit instead. Thankfully Woffinden has exceeded my (admittedly low) expectations. The difference between Woffinden and Harris though? Woffinden has clearly worked hard on his fitness, machinery and psychological approach to the sport. Instead of taking it for granted, he has appreciated the chance afforded to him. Harris on the other hand, expected to plod through season after season, dining off one GP win and a freakish spell at the end of the 2010 season. No matter how poorly he did, he then expected BSI to grant him a Wildcard at the end of every season.

Only once has Harris qualified for the GP by right, is that the right message to send out? No matter how crap you are on track, we'll keep giving you Wildcard slots...

JT.

Edited by JT
  • Like 1

It is that simple. Beat him.

The younger brigade had another chance last night to usurp Harris and Nicholls. They failed again. Until they can beat them in pressure meetings they haven't got an argument.

Why not give it to Nicholls then? He clearly wanted to ride at Cardiff.

Why automatically give it to a rider who has already had umpteen chances?

Like I said, if Harris actually bothered to qualify by right for one of these things, I wouldn't have a problem.

In fact I'd actually prefer it if British riders were made to qualify for these events, it would stop "Harris Syndrome" going forward. The British Final was the closest thing we had to a qualifying meeting and now that's been taken away, purely and simply because there was a danger Harris wouldn't feature in a Grand Prix this year.

JT.

Edited by JT