British Speedway Forum

Chris Harris Cardiff Wild Card

THE choice of wild cards is a consultation process but with whom they consult can vary from country to country and who is actually organising the event.

In NZ, for example, it was Bill Buckley who had the major input, in Bydgoszcz it would have been the local club plus the PZM, in Sweden it would have been in consultation with SVEMO, in Denmark it will be through the DMU. In all cases the choices have to be verified by the FIM.

What a Joke ! Is this not the same rider they took the piss out of or did my ears stop working correctly.

SORRY but I don't understand that comment...

More like to punish the British riders who wanted to ride The European Champs especially Scotty.

UNTRUE ... the decision to stop British riders participating in the European Championship was taken by the BSPA.

It's neither really.

It's hardly as if every speedway fan in the country was living for the British final and the rest of the country could not care less.

For the thousand or so who actually turn up on the night and a few dozen who support the team the bloke who misses out rides for it might be of mild interest until something more important comes along an hour after they hear the result.

I doubt questions will be asked in the Houses Of Parliament about it or it will become a major talking point on the street.

Nobody really cares.

So by your thinking if Coventry go to the wall it won't really be a negative thing for british speedway as questions won't be asked in Parliament or the general public won't be talking about it!!!!!Actually i guess British speedway is still pretty good,we must still be ruling the world as i haven't heard any speeches in Parliament being made about it's decline,so it can't have happened.....yeah,right

More like to punish the British riders who wanted to ride The European Champs especially Scotty.

I do get the feeling that this is all mixed up in it somehow.Toys are being thrown around and people are getting a bit spiteful throwing their weight around...

• Like 1

For the progress of the sport, should it not be a rider on the up rather than someone on the downward slide. I understand they need to score points but is it not better to expose younger talent to riding at that level??? I disagreed with NZ's wildcard and the Cardiff one does not seem to reward effort either....

Take a look at Eddies scores so far this season, then take a look at Harris's. Bomber has had fewer meetings but Eddie is consistently scoring well. So on current form Eddie deserves the spot.

Are you kidding me? Kennett? Have you ever seen Kennett in a GP or a SWC? He si shown up for what he is, a once trick pony. Gate and ride wide.

Eddie has done the crime and paid his time. Eddie is in better form than Harris, he has done well in the British finals the past few years just failing to stay on his bike when it mattered.

Don't get me wrong, I am not Eddies biggest fan by far but fairs fair and if he is our form rider apart from Tai then he deserves a chance at least? Bomber will have to score well to impress for a chance at next years wild card? Tai should get automatic qualification if he carries on like he is so its either the qualifiers or Wild Card for Bomber to get bk in and the GP qualifier is a lottery if you remember the meeting at Coventry a few yrs bk.

To me it looks like its the BSI sticking 2 fingers up at Scott Nicholls mainly but also to the rest of the British Final riders. Has there been any word from the BSI yet on the selection process?

Edited by Coventry_Bee
  • Like 1

Apart from ability and experience, current SGP riders have equipment that is far superior to youngsters like Craig Cook.

Judging by his constant (and very public) whining about his bikes last season, I'd be willing to bet they have far superior equipment to Harris, too.

While you're at the Gothenburg GP, Phil, can you ask Paul Bellamy why BSI are far more obsessed with Harris than the British public are? Here we have a rider who threatened to ditch his country if he didn't get his own way. A now mediocre rider who has wasted his constant charity. In fact the only thing he hasn't wasted is the opportunity to blame everyone bar himself. Spoilt essentially, and totally underserving of yet another pick.

Sadly I fear BSI are trying everything to get him back in the series full time next year. But why?

JT.

THE choice of wild cards is a consultation process but with whom they consult can vary from country to country and who is actually organising the event.

In NZ, for example, it was Bill Buckley who had the major input, in Bydgoszcz it would have been the local club plus the PZM, in Sweden it would have been in consultation with SVEMO, in Denmark it will be through the DMU. In all cases the choices have to be verified by the FIM.

SORRY but I don't understand that comment...

UNTRUE ... the decision to stop British riders participating in the European Championship was taken by the BSPA.

The comment meant the BSI taking the micky out of him for his performances in the past then giving him a wildcard. Maybe just bar talk :D Regarding wild cards it the clubs, sponsors or whoever is paying gets the say. I got the wildcard i wanted at Cardiff :wink:

Statement from the BSPA stating that it had nothing to do with them.

http://www.speedwayg...hp?extend.20061

Exactly , It had nothing to do with them and neither should it . The GP series is run by BSI and they get to choose who they want as a wildcard . God help the GP series if the BSPA are to be involved in any decisions made pertaining to it , lees than 12 months and the british GP would be back at Brandon playing to a 6,000 audience

Not sure I agree with the suggestion Eddie is the best in form Brit bar Tai at the moment either, if you take meeting played into account, I think Danny King can do better, after attaining a mid 7 average last season, I thought he'd struggle to maintain it, but apart from a duff night against Swindon, he's still putting in the big scores.

The comment meant the BSI taking the micky out of him for his performances in the past then giving him a wildcard. Maybe just bar talk :D Regarding wild cards it the clubs, sponsors or whoever is paying gets the say. I got the wildcard i wanted at Cardiff :wink:

Yes i remember some controversy a number of years ago with the wildcard for a Danish GP and was told by someone in Denmark....Dansk Metal sponsoring the GP and also the wildcard.....There was my answer,they were saying.

Exactly , It had nothing to do with them and neither should it . The GP series is run by BSI and they get to choose who they want as a wildcard . God help the GP series if the BSPA are to be involved in any decisions made pertaining to it , lees than 12 months and the british GP would be back at Brandon playing to a 6,000 audience

Yes one thing to come out of this thread for me was the statement that the decision to use the British Final as a quali for the Cardiff GP wasn't an idea from the BSPA,but from a tv company.Doesn't that say it all that the BSPA couldn't come up with an idea to help the British Final from falling into obscurity???

But without the BSPA running speedway here in the UK, would there be a speedway league? If not, the BSI would not have a UK audience. Many former and some present GP riders learned there skills via BSPA leagues, so to dimiss the BSPA from the GP series is very short sighted.

That said, I am not saying the BSPA could run the GP series, but out of courtesy they should have some input to the British GP... IMO.

But without the BSPA running speedway here in the UK, would there be a speedway league? If not, the BSI would not have a UK audience. Many former and some present GP riders learned there skills via BSPA leagues, so to dimiss the BSPA from the GP series is very short sighted.

That said, I am not saying the BSPA could run the GP series, but out of courtesy they should have some input to the British GP... IMO.

The bspa gave up the rights to any input or courtesy ,when they agreed to the sale of the GP series for a bag full of magic beans ,which the ginger joker has now eaten , I agree the GP would be short of riders without the British leagues but it's too late to lock that particular door , maybe they should learn a lesson and stop riders using British speedway as a training scheme by making them sign contracts that proritise british speedway

Who do they consult with in GB then?

A terrible decision!!! Should be the winner of British Final or runner up to Tai. Also hate this thought that you cant chuck a youngster in at deepend and expext them to swim?? Weve been giving Harris years of swimming lessons amd he still sinks so what difference does it make

Good point.Other countries stick the youngsters in and give them experience.Some maybe do sink,but others swin.I was talking to a team boss over here recently about their trouble finding a rider and they went through a list of riders.....none British.So i jokingly said "You could try a British rider" And the answer was "Yes,but it needs to be one that has experience of these type of tracks and there aren't many......".That is our problem.Our riders aren't gaining experience of continentasl tracks and they don't get much chance of experience of GPs as it is always the same riders......

The bspa gave up the rights to any input or courtesy ,when they agreed to the sale of the GP series for a bag full of magic beans ,which the ginger joker has now eaten , I agree the GP would be short of riders without the British leagues but it's too late to lock that particular door , maybe they should learn a lesson and stop riders using British speedway as a training scheme by making them sign contracts that proritise british speedway

The BSPA agreed to sell the GP rights to BSI, thought that was the FIM?

Edited by Trees

IT was the FIM. But the BSPA did have the chance to be involved with the British GP when John Postlethwaite first wanted to go to Cardiff but, against the wishes of Terry Russell, they declined. Just as well really.

The BSPA are not the body affiliated to the FIM, that is the ACU, and BSI can stage the British GP in the UK without any co-operation from the BSPA.