British Speedway Forum

Message To The Leicester Promotor

No don't think so. If you listened to the program on a regular basis you would know they don't do live phone ins they read submitted questions out. It may have something to do with licenses and things that may or may not be said on air and of course someone who wants to hold a 1/2 hour discussion with DH on air, which is probably not the point. Was your question asked and answered? (I did hear your name being mentioned or at least your nickname) If so job done

no, my question didn't get asked. A part of it was quoted out of context. As i think i have mentioned above, Bikerfm didn't even ask their own question. With the server issues that BSF seem to be having i didn't even see post 196 till after DH had gone off air. Unfortunately i don't listen regularly to the show so didn't know they weren't doing a phone-in. Everything Bikerfm has posted seems to have pointed to a call in.

Edited by volty

Having heard the interview I can only conclude that I have no idea what speedway racing looks like anymore. I will bear this in mind if I return to King's Lynn, Peterborough or Rye House this season. Leicester is a great facility with an awful lot going for it, and there is a lot of hard working people there who obviously put a lot of effort into making visiting a good experience, but the racing isn't entertaining enough. I hope the track issues, whether track shape or track surface, can be sorted but that is looking unlikely.

• Like 1

Not sure why anyone needed to ring in as several questions weren't raised I assume to to time constraints. Volty's got paraphrased which then missed it's point. I would have thought that when DH was saying how good it was that reference to a recent rider leaving could have been made.

A good interview all the same and quite enlightening in a number of areas.

A good interview all the same and quite enlightening in a number of areas.

The area's i thought it was quite enlightening in were just how intransigent David Hemsley is to his product (best racing in the country) and the length's he will bulls**t to try and reinforce that position (i.e the track needing the stadium to be moved to allow alteration).

You honestly could not make last night up!

Mick.

• Like 1

The area's i thought it was quite enlightening in were just how intransigent David Hemsley is to his product (best racing in the country) and the length's he will bulls**t to try and reinforce that position (i.e the track needing the stadium to be moved to allow alteration).

You honestly could not make last night up!

Have to say I couldn't believe it Not a "it is in early stages and still developing and could be better" etc......Straight in for best track and best racing. Can't believe that sky still haven't called.

Still don't get the blaming of the multimedia types that damage the promotion and business.

• Like 1

Still don't get the blaming of the multimedia types that damage the promotion and business.

If it ain't the track and it ain't the promotion, which Hemsley is quite clear it ain't, then everyone buggering off to do something else on a saturday night has to be someone's fault. And his conclusion is that it still appears to be us and the recession.

See Post #196 above asking fans to call in, and via twitter, and via Leicester's 2 Facebooks ??? Were you waiting for written invites?

They were probably waiting for you to give out a studio DDI because they haven't yet realised you are the Bedroom Broadcasting Service. What does the FM stand for in Biker FM? Oh nothing it's just a name to imply that you are a spectrum broadcaster, right, sorted your Skype out yet?

• Like 1

Did you prefer it before when Leicester did not have any speedway at all?

Let's be clear, it's up to Dave what he does with the track. Equally it's up to those who pay to watch speedway to decide if it's value for money. Originally I was one of a group of four people going along every Saturday. Now it's just me and I go along less and less. I have taken several people along to watch and no one has ever gone back.

Some of course will go along no matter what, but to maintain numbers the sport has to appeal to those who want a little more for their money.

So in answer to your question, no I would not prefer it if there was no speedway in the city. But I wouldn't want the rugby, football, or anything else to close either. My point is that we must appeal to a wider audience than the die hard fan or support will dwindle to just a few hundred. As good as the stadium is, and full credit to DH and everyone else for that, on track entertainment is sadly lacking.

• Like 4

So in answer to your question, no I would not prefer it if there was no speedway in the city. But I wouldn't want the rugby, football, or anything else to close either. My point is that we must appeal to a wider audience than the die hard fan or support will dwindle to just a few hundred. As good as the stadium is, and full credit to DH and everyone else for that, on track entertainment is sadly lacking.

I do think one of the major issues the sport has is the widely differing expectations of fan and promoter...

Most fans want a winning team AND entertainment...

Most promoters in the main seem to see a winning team (at home at any rate) as being the ONLY objective..

You only have to look at the average manipulations and the 'win at all cost' mentality within the sport to see that most tracks' owners are 'in it to win it' and that is probably why they get frustrated when they deliver at the very least an upper mid table team yet they still get grief.. (they are don't forget competing for a 'supposedly' professional sports' championship)

As many have said not going inevitably will lead to no speedway, however that is looking more and more like the final conclusion when the void between what the fans expect by way of an overall value for money entertainment package, and what the promoters believe we should accept (and be grateful for) is growing year by year...

So what are lions fans going to do now? Shut up and put up, or stop going which may end in the club closing. A tough decision for fans who have been waiting so long to see speedway return to their town.

I agree with you on this. It was clear no major track changes will be made & that DH is happy putting out the standard of racing currently seen. So people will have to decide whether to continue to attend or stop going.

I think will still attend some meetings, but I won't be inviting any new family / friends to try it as dont think any would see it as value for money entertainment.

Interesting that in the last week the official Facebook page & twitter account have been putting a few messages out from people congratulating them on the track & set up, as if to counteract someone the negative comments seen here & elsewhere.

Of course I didn't prefer it when there wasn't speedway in Leicester. I salute everyone that worked so hard to bring the sport back to the city. That doesn't mean I should just pay my money every week and not be entitled to an opinion. I stopped going to Brandon because I always felt the racing was dull and sadly that's how I feel about Leicester. Doesn't mean I'm anti DH or anti Leicester. Nothing would make me happier that to rave about the great racing there but that's not gonna happen unless the track issues are resolved.

• Like 1

They were probably waiting for you to give out a studio DDI because they haven't yet realised you are the Bedroom Broadcasting Service. What does the FM stand for in Biker FM? Oh nothing it's just a name to imply that you are a spectrum broadcaster, right, sorted your Skype out yet?

fm actual stands for Fermium which has an atomic number of 100 It was discovered in the debris of the first hydrogen bomb explosion in 1952. Suggsy ;)