British Speedway Forum

Berwick V Newcastle - Live On Sky - May 21st

Theres been a fair bit of rain in Berwick over the last few days,which wouldve been perfect for track conditions tonight.Yesterday was largely dry,we did have a bit of rain in the evening,but its been dry overnight.

Right now its dry but cloudy,forecast for today is theres a chance of a shower this morning but by afternoon they should all be gone,if we get any atall.After lunchtime and into the afternoon it will be dry and theres a chance of some sunshine.

See you all later.

How come Robin Aspegren is riding for Berwick, then?

Maybe,just maybe because he hasnt been selected to ride for his club in Sweden.They run a squad system over there,which on this occasion helps Berwick.

• Like 1

Certainly seems the Newcastle promotion want the publicity of a Sky meeting, but have made the sport look a shambles again by turning up with half a team. Lindgren been flying all season and was never going to be available for this fixture.

Joke all round, but sums the sport up. BSPA should have looked into it when announced and Newcastle are a disgrace for accepting the fixture what with it being a showcase for the PL.

Its madness to suggest that Newcastle would turn down a chance to be on Sky,maybe Sky and/or the powers that be couldve looked into it a bit more to see if all the riders were available for both teams,but you cant blame Newcastle for accepting this chance.

You never know,they might just win,doubt it mind,but you never know. :blink:

Stroke of genius to get rid of Edberg when we did,he`s been selected to ride for his club in Sweden tonight,so we wouldve been facing the same headache as Newcastle have had with Lindgren.

Ironically the forecast for Sweden today is shocking,Lindgren might be watching his team on tv with the rest of us.

Well 3 off us were planning to go but not now due to team strengths could turn what should have been a good night into a farce for tv viewing. Be interesting to see how they explain it on sky makes the sport look a joke.

Sky will explain it quite simply, as their viewers are used to seeing Elite teams using r/r every week. They might get Charlie to interview Andrew Tully and David Bellego, as both will be in attendance, I'd guess!

There is only one rider 'missing' and that is Ludvig Lindgren, replaced by another Newcastle club asset in Adam McKinna.

Remember this: there will still be four riders in every race, and if these four riders put on a good show, it'll be you and your two friends who miss out on an 'occasion to remember' on (at last) a fine summer's evening..

• Like 2

While I have no inside knowledge, I'd guess the installation of Nigel's "studio" on the third bend might mean that walkway to the hut could be closed tomorrow. Suggest stocking-up with pies, etc, from the "chuck-waggon" on the first turn before heading around to the best vantage point in speedway.

In conversation with "my good friend in the know" this morning, I was told the club will have their auxilliary bar and BBQ set up on the back straight tonight, complete with a copious quantity of pies. Plus tea, coffee and all things nice.

We can only hope that Richie, Robbo and Christian turn it on tonight or it could get messy.

We're going in to bat with a team average of 30.79 + r/r

If Berwick don't hit 55 they should have their pay docked.

Edited by Chewbacca

if you think you have troubles, look at the team that worky are putting out against Glasgow ,way below your team averages .. 3 home riders and r/r . plus guests. but i should add, GOOD GUESTS.. got my seat booked in front of the plasma tonightfor the sky meet. hope its a good un ... Berwick speedway, live long and pros[er.

About five years ago, Sky were to broadcast Isle of Wight v Berwick, but the powers-that-be reckoned the Bandits would be poor opposition, and parachuted Reading into the date a fortnight prior to the meeting instead. As it happened, the Racers were pathetic, and scored about 25 points in the poorest Sky contest ever. The same week, Berwick were (temporarily, I admit) top of the PL table. Meaning -- you just never know. Remember also, just last season the Bandits beat Rye House 50-39 with just four riders after both reserves went to hospital during Heat 2. Seven heats had only one Bandit! This could still be a classic, and I hope it is. You just never know.

Edited by crescent girl
  • Like 1

Berwick by 8 points newcastle are hard to shake off

Agree. With Luddi I think we would have won, the deciding factor for me would have been the form of Robin A, who has had a good score after a disappointing start this season.

With Luddi out the Bandits look set for a fine win. Regardless of the score, I am hoping for a safe and entertaining meeting from two teams with good racers.

• Like 1

About five years ago, Sky were to broadcast Isle of Wight v Berwick, but the powers-that-be reckoned the Bandits would be poor opposition, and parachuted Reading into the date a fortnight prior to the meeting instead. As it happened, the Racers were pathetic, and scored about 25 points in the poorest Sky contest ever. The same week, Berwick were (temporarily, I admit) top of the PL table. Meaning -- you just never know. Remember also, just last season the Bandits beat Rye House 50-39 with just four riders after both reserves went to hospital during Heat 2. Seven heats had only one Bandit! This could still be a classic, and I hope it is. You just never know.

Are you still dragging that up. :blink:

No showers so far and to be honest I dont think we will get any now,its still cloudy but the clouds are high.

Looking forward to watching another entertaining PL match on the tv with a big glass of wine :drink: hope its a good one :t:

Well it depends on how much you spent on it really, I prefer a nice Sancerre and at around £9 - £12 a bottle it's reasonable value. :t:

• Like 1

Well it depends on how much you spent on it really, I prefer a nice Sancerre and at around £9 - £12 a bottle it's reasonable value. :t:

Haha, edited my post , the match I meant, but thats a little out of my price league for a bottle of vino in the house :D

Vino Calapso. ;)

The clouds are breaking up nicely here in Berwick,and we`ve had some sunshine over the last hour or two,though theres no sun as I post.

Haha, edited my post , the match I meant, but thats a little out of my price league for a bottle of vino in the house :D

You're always wining about something. :P

I think there needs to be some questions asked looking at the article below. It's alright saying 2 of the promotion wanted the fixture to be pulled but then proceed in going ahead with the fixture. You can't try and blame something and then go ahead with it either way. This leaves a sour taste and I expect nothing more than Berwick getting maximum points tonight by a good margin, when potentially there was a very decent chance of an away win and a brilliant encounter. http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/speedway/newcastle-diamonds-huge-task-hands-3902152