British Speedway Forum

Berwick V Newcastle - Live On Sky - May 21st

reading Newcastle website they have named both Robbo and Kerr in there team as well as McKinna feel sorry for bellego on having to sit this one out although using r/r his rides can only be covered by Wethers & 2 reserves

Thats why the rules should be looked at for covering such absenties. With it also being a Sky meeting you really need the two best sides asembled as posible, it makes Speedway look a laughing stock.

You misunderstand the purpose of rules. The "NL rider only" rule is to prevent riders from British clubs swanning off to ride in Europe willy-nilly.

The BSPA and SVEMO has a long-standing agreement, and the PL fixture takes precedence over a Swedish fixture except for a rearranged match.

With Lindgren choosing Sweden tomorrow (and why shouldn't he, he's a Swede?) the only replacement can be an NL rider. If there was a slackening of this rule, the PL would descend into chaos.

From what I read here, the problem has been caused by Newcastle accepting the date. As someone said above, they didn't have to -- just about every PL club who have not yet had a league outing at Berwick would have been only too pleased to come instead, and be seen on TV.

We all moan about the BSPA and the rule-book, but it really is the best rule for this type of situation, and complaints can't be laid at the BSPA's door this time.

I'll be watching, and I'm sure it'll be good stuff, especially if Sky get a camera in the right position to catch the riders coming off the banking and down the home straight at 75mph!

• Like 1

Thats why the rules should be looked at for covering such absenties. With it also being a Sky meeting you really need the two best sides asembled as posible, it makes Speedway look a laughing stock.

What rule do you want looked at,this has nothing to do with the BSPA.Its entirely to do with SVEMO and the French Federation,who with all due respect couldnt give two hoots about the meeting at Berwick tomorrow night.

The pies in the pits tea bar are also available in the catering van just inside thae turnstyles along with those, to die for burgers

It appears they are only on sale during track grading at the 4th bend due to Health and safety rules .I hasten to add it is nothing to do with the quality of the said pies.

It appears they are only on sale during track grading at the 4th bend due to Health and safety rules .I hasten to add it is nothing to do with the quality of the said pies.

While I have no inside knowledge, I'd guess the installation of Nigel's "studio" on the third bend might mean that walkway to the hut could be closed tomorrow. Suggest stocking-up with pies, etc, from the "chuck-waggon" on the first turn before heading around to the best vantage point in speedway.

Worry not,David Bellego wont miss anymore meetings due to the SWC,France have failed to qualify in Hungry.USA won the meeting and will be the fourth team at Kings Lynn.

Don't imagine anyone (especially David) thought they would! As he is also out the U-21, Berwick should have his services for the rest of the year. I wonder if he might be a consideration for one of the two wild cards at the U-21 final at Berwick in August? Would surely help boost the crowd!
  • Like 1

Agree,on this occasion its got little or nothing to do with the BSPA.

Theres no definite team news on the Berwick site either.The Berwick team is likely to be the team that beat Leicester a couple of weeks ago,the Newcastle team hopefully will only be missing Tully,McKinna in for Lindgren,Robson and Kerr will return to racing after falls.

I think the teams are listed on the Berwick Press release on their site today?

You misunderstand the purpose of rules. The "NL rider only" rule is to prevent riders from British clubs swanning off to ride in Europe willy-nilly.

The BSPA and SVEMO has a long-standing agreement, and the PL fixture takes precedence over a Swedish fixture except for a rearranged match.

With Lindgren choosing Sweden tomorrow (and why shouldn't he, he's a Swede?) the only replacement can be an NL rider. If there was a slackening of this rule, the PL would descend into chaos.

From what I read here, the problem has been caused by Newcastle accepting the date. As someone said above, they didn't have to -- just about every PL club who have not yet had a league outing at Berwick would have been only too pleased to come instead, and be seen on TV.

We all moan about the BSPA and the rule-book, but it really is the best rule for this type of situation, and complaints can't be laid at the BSPA's door this time.

I'll be watching, and I'm sure it'll be good stuff, especially if Sky get a camera in the right position to catch the riders coming off the banking and down the home straight at 75mph!

I understand the NL rider bit, same applies to us, we can only have a 6 pt PL rider, but because its on Sky, it would have been nice to have two competitive teams to watch. It doesn't do Speedway any favours..

• Like 1

reading Newcastle website they have named both Robbo and Kerr in there team as well as McKinna feel sorry for bellego on having to sit this one out although using r/r his rides can only be covered by Wethers & 2 reserves

Tough on David but would settle for nine points again between Matty,Nicki,Paul as per last meeting
  • Like 1

Correction, Ludvig has NOT chosen to be in Sweden. As you have correctly posted "the PL fixture takes precedence over a Swedish fixture except for a rearranged match" Ludvig, if he wanted to ride for the Diamonds tomorrow, would not be allowed to ride even if he preferred to.

Correction, Ludvig has NOT chosen to be in Sweden. As you have correctly posted "the PL fixture takes precedence over a Swedish fixture except for a rearranged match" Ludvig, if he wanted to ride for the Diamonds tomorrow, would not be allowed to ride even if he preferred to.

So, are you saying Newcastle shouldn't have accepted the change of date?

hope they have a proper stopwatch for the race times. as long as they don't borrow the wind up one from Leicester it will be ok. really looking forward to this on Tuesday. hope it all goes well the the promotion and fans of Berwick speedway.

• Like 1

How come Robin Aspegren is riding for Berwick, then?

We should never have accepted it in a million years, already running with RR and replacing a former Berwick rider and potential match winner with a NL rider, not much our promotion does wrong, but they've cocked up with this....IMO. Maybe the financial gain (if any?) outweighs the result and anything gained is a bonus.

Certainly seems the Newcastle promotion want the publicity of a Sky meeting, but have made the sport look a shambles again by turning up with half a team. Lindgren been flying all season and was never going to be available for this fixture.

Joke all round, but sums the sport up. BSPA should have looked into it when announced and Newcastle are a disgrace for accepting the fixture what with it being a showcase for the PL.

• Like 1

Probably not selected never rode fro Hammarby in last weeks fixture

Easy. Different team who can pick or leave out riders if they aren't performing or the Swedish team being more cooperative.