British Speedway Forum

Berwick V Newcastle - Live On Sky - May 21st

I don't see how this is the BSPA fault. Is it not sky who pick the matches they want to cover??

The BSPA must be involved in the process. They and the clubs involved would surely have to agree to the fixture. If nothing else they could advise sky that there would be issues with rider availablity and advise them to pick alternative teams.

• Like 2

The BSPA must be involved in the process. They and the clubs involved would surely have to agree to the fixture. If nothing else they could advise sky that there would be issues with rider availablity and advise them to pick alternative teams.

Actually that is Fair Comment.

I must admit that I am not looking forward to watching this Meeting as much as I was, I think that replacing a perspective Heat Leader for a National League Rider devalues the whole thing. This is a pity really because Berwick seem to have worked extremely hard on promoting this Meeting - and it SHOULD have been a showcase for the Premier League.

I do hope that it is still a success and that there are no injuries on either side.

• Like 1

I'm only going for the burgers now :cry:

Naaah - you want to give the PIES a go from the Hut near the Pits. PIES to die for, my mouth is watering just thinking about them. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. :t::approve: :approve:

There is only one thing better than a PIE at Berwick - and - that is TWO of them. :t:

ENJOY!!!

Edited by The White Knight

Be interesting to know from the Diamonds

1, why we agreed to it?

2, Tell us that Ludvig isn't riding

3. How our injured riders are

4, will they be riding tomorrow etc etc

PR is getting worse and yet again the supporters are the last to know.... Surely someone in the hierarchy could keep the fans in the loop now and again, instead of us having to trawl the bandits website for information about our club...

• Like 4

Any news on Robbo and Lewis Kerr ? Could be a patched up team on sky with no Lindgren already confirmed. What a shame as we have this great big stage to show off our tallents to the whole world.

Shame, i was really looking forward to watching this meeting from another PL track. I just think some of the rules really do need looking at.. so its not just the EL that have this problem

• Like 1

I don't see how this is the BSPA fault. Is it not sky who pick the matches they want to cover??

Agree,on this occasion its got little or nothing to do with the BSPA.

Be interesting to know from the Diamonds

1, why we agreed to it?

2, Tell us that Ludvig isn't riding

3. How our injured riders are

4, will they be riding tomorrow etc etc

PR is getting worse and yet again the supporters are the last to know.... Surely someone in the hierarchy could keep the fans in the loop now and again, instead of us having to trawl the bandits website for information about our club...

Theres no definite team news on the Berwick site either.The Berwick team is likely to be the team that beat Leicester a couple of weeks ago,the Newcastle team hopefully will only be missing Tully,McKinna in for Lindgren,Robson and Kerr will return to racing after falls.

What a shock for Speedway fans to come on this thread having decided to travel to see 2 evenly balanced sides racing around Berwicks very fast circuit and what do we read? This rider and that rider not available and Newcastle not saying if two injured riders will turn out. WELL WHY SHOULD THE PUBLIC PAY TO SEE THIS MATCH if the promoters cannot guarantee full strength sides.

What a shambles but I am coming anyway to watch teams with NL riders! I hope not!

Not so sure. The fixture had to be set up at least a month ago, Berwick at that point agreed to stage it (and ensured Aspegren, probably at that time Edberg as well, would be available). Newcastle have agreed to move their visit forward four days, and maybe they are the ones at fault, if they did so without clarifying if Ludvig was available. If Newcastle had declined, there would have been no shortage of PL teams willing to advance their Berwick visit to get their brand on SKY, no?

The rules are clear -- if a rider chooses to ride abroad (other than in an official FIM event) you get an NL rider in his position.

That Newcastle find themselves on TV in this situation isn't Berwick's fault, isn't Sky's fault and certainly isn't the BSPA's fault.

The David Bellego scenario is bizarre. This is as if, when Scott Nicholls told Middlo he didn't want to be included in the WTC squad, the SCB handed him a three-day ban! It isn't as if Bellego hasn't turned up in Hungary for tonight, he declined selection weeks ago. Looks like the FFM are a bit small-minded. As suggested above, maybe a case for Bellego looking into taking out an ACU licence in future.

However, I do applaud the Berwick club for putting the whole story on their website last night, rather than trying to brush it under the carpet without telling people.

Naaah - you want to give the PIES a go from the Hut near the Pits. PIES to die for, my mouth is watering just thinking about them. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. :t::approve: :approve:

There is only one thing better than a PIE at Berwick - and - that is TWO of them. :t:

ENJOY!!!

The pies in the pits tea bar are also available in the catering van just inside thae turnstyles along with those, to die for burgers

The David Bellego scenario is bizarre. This is as if, when Scott Nicholls told Middlo he didn't want to be included in the WTC squad, the SCB handed him a three-day ban! It isn't as if Bellego hasn't turned up in Hungary for tonight, he declined selection weeks ago. Looks like the FFM are a bit small-minded. As suggested above, maybe a case for Bellego looking into taking out an ACU licence in future.

However, I do applaud the Berwick club for putting the whole story on their website last night, rather than trying to brush it under the carpet without telling people.

Its clear that Bellego wants to ride for Berwick,but to be fair to the French Federation they were never going to be happy with Bellego racing for Berwick and not them,and have banned him.Bellego could look at racing under an ACU license,but would that be the right thing to do longterm.

What a shock for Speedway fans to come on this thread having decided to travel to see 2 evenly balanced sides racing around Berwicks very fast circuit and what do we read? This rider and that rider not available and Newcastle not saying if two injured riders will turn out. WELL WHY SHOULD THE PUBLIC PAY TO SEE THIS MATCH if the promoters cannot guarantee full strength sides.

What a shambles but I am coming anyway to watch teams with NL riders! I hope not!

Be fair, the Berwick promoter expected to track a full-strength side, and has immediately notified us of the FFM banning Bellego, for whom they will have the usual r/r facility.

Their website also informed us of the anticipated teams, presumably those sent to the printers. It isn't really Berwick's position to issue fitness reports on the opposing team's riders.

Shambles? Not really -- a disappointment if you don't see the riders you might have hoped to see, but there will still be a fairly even contest, hopefully racing as good as reported by everyone who was at the last Shielfield Park meeting, all in front of a big crowd on a nice warm evening

My glass is half full -- how's yours?

• Like 1

Both sides had RR at the Leicester meeting and that was a belter of a meeting, hopefully Newcastle leave it as late as they can before making a decision on Robson, been in fantastic form this season, the kind of guy you want to see at a meeting irrespective of it being on TV or not.

Pleasing to see posters and banners around Berwick advertising this meeting,some on here believe its a dated form of advertising,thankfully the Berwick promotion dont see it quite that way,and credit to them for that. :D

• Like 4

Two r/r cancelling out is not the source of woe for Diamonds fans. Losing a current 9 point rider and gaining one who has consistently struggled to average 3 is the issue.

Can we enter McKinna in the fancy dress competition?

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 5

Pleasing to see posters and banners around Berwick advertising this meeting,some on here believe its a dated form of advertising,thankfully the Berwick promotion dont see it quite that way,and credit to them for that. :D

Apart from the usual couple of promotion-haters, I believe the Bandits' faithful have really got behind this one.

The promotion mobilised the troops and asked that posters, etc, be picked up, printed off and displayed.

Dated? Maybe -- but when aligned with the adroit usage of electronic media, it covers all the bases.

• Like 3

Thats why the rules should be looked at for covering such absenties. With it also being a Sky meeting you really need the two best sides asembled as posible, it makes Speedway look a laughing stock.

Read all of the posts and quite honestly I don't care who is to blame but its just unbelievable that this match has been allowed to be arranged. My understanding is that Ludvig is a squad rider in Sweden so there was always a chance he'd be unavailable. We're already using r/r so this was clearly a risk not worth taking. God help us if we lose a rider during the meeting.