British Speedway Forum

Sky's Additions To It's Speedway Coverage.

flagrag could you please put exact website details on here, or pm me, as the main site Speedway Live Dates still show March dates, and Speedway Watch Live show from May 21st, thanks.

The Scunthorpe meeting was good and I hope they show more PL meetings. Agree that Tai came over well. Rosco will have to learn not to turn sideways when on tv.

I always think the Premier League Meetings are good. I like the Elite League but, not wishing to get in to the which is better argument, I, personally, enjoy the Premier League racing more

• Like 2

Any chance of confirming the MAY fixtures being shown? I went to Sky's speedway home page and clicked on 'Live On Sky' http://www1.skysport...speedway-on-sky

May's listings are:

TUESDAY 21ST MAY

Berwick 19:30 Newcastle

Premier League - League, Sky Sports 1 HD (19:30)

*SUNDAY 26TH MAY

King's Lynn 19:00 Swindon

Elite League - League, Sky Sports 2 HD (19:00)

MONDAY 27TH MAY

Poole 19:30 King's Lynn

Elite League - League, Sky Sports 1 HD (19:30)

* Shurely shome mistake here!

I've checked both the King's Lynn and Swindon websites and no such meeting is scheduled. Guess i'm not adding the June fixtures to my calendar any time soon with such a clanger for May present.

Edited by manchesterpaul

Any chance of confirming the MAY fixtures being shown? I went to Sky's speedway home page and clicked on 'Live On Sky' http://www1.skysport...speedway-on-sky

May's listings are:

TUESDAY 21ST MAY

Berwick 19:30 Newcastle

Premier League - League, Sky Sports 1 HD (19:30)

*SUNDAY 26TH MAY

King's Lynn 19:00 Swindon

Elite League - League, Sky Sports 2 HD (19:00)

MONDAY 27TH MAY

Poole 19:30 King's Lynn

Elite League - League, Sky Sports 1 HD (19:30)

* Shurely shome mistake here!

I've checked both the King's Lynn and Swindon websites and no such meeting is scheduled. Guess i'm not adding the June fixtures to my calendar any time soon with such a clanger for May present.

According to the King's Lynn web site the meeting against Swindon is scheduled for not May but JUNE 26th which is a Wednesday

http://www.kingslynnstars.co/index.php/elite/stars-fixtures-results

Edited by mike1944

What I hate on Sky is the way they announce riders for heat 15. Especially when it is last heat decider.

Why can't they show names on graphics as soon as lineups are available? Instead they do talk with managers and when they finish, riders are usually already at the tapes.

I think it is crucial who is in and from which gate and that kind of info should be available ASAP not as the last part of interview.

There should always be time for some quick summary after heat 15 is finished, some time for interview with riders/managers.

But the way thay do it, before heat 15 is pretty annoying for me.

We keep reading all this criticism of Sky and its presenters, but without Sky there would be precious little speedway on TV. I remember years ago Anglia TV did a half hour speedway show occasionally, the filming was abysmal. The BBC does not even know speedway exists. Sky have set up facilities for filming at a number of tracks and on the whole the production is very good, there is nobody else willing to do it. Just about every sporting presenter shouts, I can put up with that to see speedway on TV.

Eurosport has taken over showing the GPs which is great, all that is is needed is a feed, no cameras needed, no production staff, just presenters.I doubt they would be so keen to take over showing the Elite or Premier League with the need for sending crews and cameras if Sky stopped showing speedway next season.

If speedway was not on Sky I doubt is would make much difference to attendances, recent meetings on TV from King's Lynn looked like a very good turnout in what could be called a relatively poor catchment area compared to Birmingham, Coventry, Swindon, Belle Vue, etc. and of course there is the fee that Sky pay to tracks for filming rights.

Less nit-picking, less grumbling and Sky may renew filming contracts next year

• Like 3

We keep reading all this criticism of Sky and its presenters, but without Sky there would be precious little speedway on TV. I remember years ago Anglia TV did a half hour speedway show occasionally, the filming was abysmal. The BBC does not even know speedway exists. Sky have set up facilities for filming at a number of tracks and on the whole the production is very good, there is nobody else willing to do it. Just about every sporting presenter shouts, I can put up with that to see speedway on TV.

Eurosport has taken over showing the GPs which is great, all that is is needed is a feed, no cameras needed, no production staff, just presenters.I doubt they would be so keen to take over showing the Elite or Premier League with the need for sending crews and cameras if Sky stopped showing speedway next season.

If speedway was not on Sky I doubt is would make much difference to attendances, recent meetings on TV from King's Lynn looked like a very good turnout in what could be called a relatively poor catchment area compared to Birmingham, Coventry, Swindon, Belle Vue, etc. and of course there is the fee that Sky pay to tracks for filming rights.

Less nit-picking, less grumbling and Sky may renew filming contracts next year

Same old story from people on here saying we should just be bloody grateful. But there is nothing wrong with wanting perfection from the product and most of the feedback is fair and is focussed on one area, the presenter Nigel Pearson who often ruins a good product. So instead of people like you moaning we should be grateful for what we have, I would rather push us from a 75% quality product to nearer 100% where we have a commentator that is passionate and passionate and knowledgeable without screaming like a moron.

The next thing people then say is 'if you can do better do it', or 'who would be better than Pearson' and the man for the job is a speedway fan, Darren Fletcher, but alas I assume we have missed the boat there. Talent always rises to the top, and the man for the job I noticed now seems to have a fab job presenting BT Visions Football next season.

What I find annoying with Pearson is he knows the feedback and does nothing to moderate his screaming, and the same with the Woffy Woffy screams, he knows most people find it embarrassing, yet he still does it. He might be half decent if he listened to the feedback. But as we see with Darren Fletcher, there are better commentators out there, we don't have to settle for second best, lets not just settle for being grateful for speedway coverage, lets push it to make the product better.

I always come back to this. If us Speedway fans have to mute or turn over because of Pearson, then you can be damn sure non-speedway fans do it faster and more often.

• Like 1

Same old story from people on here saying we should just be bloody grateful. But there is nothing wrong with wanting perfection from the product and most of the feedback is fair and is focussed on one area, the presenter Nigel Pearson who often ruins a good product. So instead of people like you moaning we should be grateful for what we have, I would rather push us from a 75% quality product to nearer 100% where we have a commentator that is passionate and passionate and knowledgeable without screaming like a moron.

The next thing people then say is 'if you can do better do it', or 'who would be better than Pearson' and the man for the job is a speedway fan, Darren Fletcher, but alas I assume we have missed the boat there. Talent always rises to the top, and the man for the job I noticed now seems to have a fab job presenting BT Visions Football next season.

What I find annoying with Pearson is he knows the feedback and does nothing to moderate his screaming, and the same with the Woffy Woffy screams, he knows most people find it embarrassing, yet he still does it. He might be half decent if he listened to the feedback. But as we see with Darren Fletcher, there are better commentators out there, we don't have to settle for second best, lets not just settle for being grateful for speedway coverage, lets push it to make the product better.

I always come back to this. If us Speedway fans have to mute or turn over because of Pearson, then you can be damn sure non-speedway fans do it faster and more often.

So don't watch it then? :rofl:

Problem is that you are arguing from your OWN perspective. I, like a lot of others on here, and throughout the Speedway World actually ENJOY his commentary. If there were to be a vote taken on 'For' or 'Against' Nigel those in favour of him would win by, to use Speedway parlance, by a FULL TWO LAPS!!

I think it is very wrong to criticise him when the man is doing his job to the BEST of his ability and does it VERY professionally. Here is a Commentator who loves his Speedway and SHOWS it - there aren't too many of those around.

Finally - Nigel is good for Speedway - he advertises other Tracks at times, mentions 'Speedway Star' so that others not involved in our Sport know that there is a Periodical that they can pick up and read if they so wish.

So - YES!! - all in all Nigel does a very good job in my opinion, and that is all it is, an opinion. I honestly believe that MOST genuine Speedway Supporters would prefer to 'Back' Nigel rather than 'Sack' him.

• Like 6

No need to worry as there probably won't be anything to whine about next year anyways.

In the meantime why not buy one of those kareoke mikes and turn down the volume and do your own commentary as I am sure the sound of your own voice is far more pleasing to you than listening to Nige screaming.

Edited by pandorum
  • Like 5

Do not know if I have missed an announcement but the meeting that was on the Sky schedule ( Watch Live Speedway ) for Tues May 21st at Berwick has now disappeared and the next meeting shown is the wrong one at Kings Lynn listed for Sunday May 26th which is not happening.

I am glad that they are showing Speedway but how difficult is it to have the correct schedule listed.

The Berwick meeting is still on next Tuesday according to the Sky on-screen TV Guide

The Berwick meeting is still on next Tuesday according to the Sky on-screen TV Guide

IT BETTER BE!!!

I bet Berwick have worked tremendously hard to stage this Meeting - it would be dreadful if all that work was for nought.

"Watch Speedway on Sky" site was updated yesterday, they removed the Sunday KL Swindon and added the Berwick meeting, but this system was down so could not post earlier.

Edited by A ORLOV

"Watch Speedway on Sky" site was updated yesterday, they removed the Sunday KL Swindon and added the Berwick meeting, but this system was down so could not post earlier.

Cheers for that Aleksandr. :t::)

I also noticed that Ipswich and Plymouth have been promoted to the Elite League (according to Sky's fixture list anyway). Has anyone told the other teams yet!!! :lol:

More importantly have they claimed the £100,000 paid to each club :D
  • Like 1

What I hate on Sky is the way they announce riders for heat 15. Especially when it is last heat decider.

Why can't they show names on graphics as soon as lineups are available? Instead they do talk with managers and when they finish, riders are usually already at the tapes.

I think it is crucial who is in and from which gate and that kind of info should be available ASAP not as the last part of interview.

There should always be time for some quick summary after heat 15 is finished, some time for interview with riders/managers.

But the way thay do it, before heat 15 is pretty annoying for me.

Seems that someone from Sky is actually reading our posts. They have shown heat 15 lineups in Berwick - Newcastle meeting on the tv graphics before they started interviews with managers. Great job. The most important info first then some talking.

• Like 1