British Speedway Forum

Sky's Additions To It's Speedway Coverage.

Frustrated at the choice of some of the matches, Last weeks @ Swindon was only going to go one way whereas the others were far closer and would have made for better viewing. Hoping tonight's will be better! Personally I love Charlie :D (never listen to a word she says though!) Looking forward to the Comets on Sky @ Scunthorpe at the end of the month

• Like 1

I am just happy we have speedway on TV this year so I find it relatively easy to tolerate the presenters and presentation. All in all I believe Sky and Eurosport this year providing us with speedway on TV are doing a pretty decent job of it, so I am very cautious about being too critical of either of them. Good job we are not relying on the BBC for coverage, they do not even know speedway exists

• Like 1

I am just happy we have speedway on TV this year so I find it relatively easy to tolerate the presenters and presentation. All in all I believe Sky and Eurosport this year providing us with speedway on TV are doing a pretty decent job of it, so I am very cautious about being too critical of either of them. Good job we are not relying on the BBC for coverage, they do not even know speedway exists

Yes, let's all be grateful that Sky put themselves out to collect all those direct debits.

With just the four channels to fill, with F1 and horse racing on their own channels, it's surprising that they can build in some dirt cheap dirt track action.

Really enjoyed the camera angle yesterday that they've got mounted on a radio controlled helicopter - I saw that they were testing one in a photo a few weeks back. There was a couple of hiccups where the riders were very close to being out of shot, but all in all, it was refreshing and nice to see them trying new stuff yet again. Jan Staechmann and Chris Louis make a great team together on the inside track section too.

• Like 1

Ermelenko is rank rotten, he has never added anything to Sky’s coverage, Speedway has been on Sky for 10 years (I think) and it is still uncomfortable watching him.

I found the Louis and Steachmens chat about bike setup more interesting than anything Louis has done with the board, should be something they work with rather than lines drawn on a board, works on MNF but not on Speedway.

Despite the mention of Poole Speedway by Peter Alliss during the Masters golf coverage on Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
  • Like 1

The flying camera needs work - to put it politely. Relatively poor quality, riders out of shot and out of focus.

The Louis analysis is of more benefit to newbies and casual viewers than to those us that have watched speedway for years. We tend to spot things anyway and generally know, or quickly work out which gates and lines are working on a track. Still, it's far more interesting than other time-filling waffle we've had in the past. I watched the Sky meeting when I got back from Monmore and fast-forwarded to the races in most cases, but still found myself hitting play to hear what Louis was saying and see what he was pointing out. That and the updates from the other tracks are a great addition to the coverage.

It would be good to have a bit more technical stuff incorporated for the long-time followers as well. :)

I applaud chris lewis and sky for trying something new,but i dont like it!!! .It just feels to me that he is trying to explain something that wouldnt have happened if the riders never made mistakes in his video clips.75% of the time its not skill its someone making a mistake.I like chris and he would be better off showing how to get the most out of a speedway bike,ie

1-max power from the bike

2-sprokets -there are so many diff sizes it would be great to see the diff they make.

3-Tyres-in f1 they talk tyres all the time!!!! ,i know speedway has only one supplier but it would be still good to know,how long front tyres last,tyre pressure,change edges etc.

4-Dirt delefleter hows it set up

5-Two bikes ,2 different riders and the difference they choose in the set up of their machines for the meeting.ie Frames,etc.

Maybe im going a bit big with my anorak!! but im sure other people might like to know or see how various things are done.

I applaud chris lewis and sky for trying something new,but i dont like it!!! .It just feels to me that he is trying to explain something that wouldnt have happened if the riders never made mistakes in his video clips.75% of the time its not skill its someone making a mistake.I like chris and he would be better off showing how to get the most out of a speedway bike,ie

2-sprokets -there are so many diff sizes it would be great to see the diff they make.

3-Tyres-in f1 they talk tyres all the time!!!! ,i know speedway has only one supplier but it would be still good to know,how long front tyres last,tyre pressure,change edges etc.

5-Two bikes ,2 different riders and the difference they choose in the set up of their machines for the meeting.ie Frames,etc.

Maybe im going a bit big with my anorak!! but im sure other people might like to know or see how various things are done.

Don't start that again. :shock: :shock: :wink::rofl: :rofl:

Steve Johnston actually did a section very similar to this on the SGP website before Auckland last year, it was great but too short in my opinion.

With regards to the tyres though, there isn't much to discuss - the tyres are standard and all they do is inflate or deflate them. They could incorporate something about wheel base though I guess.

Excellent work by Sky. Clearly they recognise that sometimes breaks in the action are unavoidable, though I think speedway needs to sharpen up and provide a more 'slick' (not the track ;)) product, and has found a way to fill the gaps. The inside track gizmo works nicely with someone that can use it properly :P and is useful to newbies and possibly if it develops we might all start to learn a thing or two. The reports from the other track are a welcome addition too. :t:

Agree it's an excellent addition. I think it's likely to get better too as Chris Louis gets to grips with it in more detail. Maybe too much to hope for that he'll utilize it to break down the start line girls moves!

I'm a little surprised that tracks have agreed to the updates as i would have thought it tempts a few more to sit at home when faced with the prospect of inclement weather or an unappealing fixture.

Steve Johnston actually did a section very similar to this on the SGP website before Auckland last year, it was great but too short in my opinion.

With regards to the tyres though, there isn't much to discuss - the tyres are standard and all they do is inflate or deflate them. They could incorporate something about wheel base though I guess.

SUGGEST you read Kelvin Tatum's new column in SS this week and in particular his comments about tyres...

SUGGEST you read Kelvin Tatum's new column in SS this week and in particular his comments about tyres...

Delighted at the prospect of this column going by the blurb i've seen so far. I mentioned elsewhere how good it was to see the addition of a 'Track Walk' section in the annual preview edition of the Star.

I think most sports on tv nowadays have experts/guides imparting details on the specifics of the sport on show. Geez if Gary Neville can accumulate a following full of admiration for his 'insights' then speedway's Chris Louis can tread fearlessly.

I watch the American sport of NASCAR and it's just accepted second nature for the tv commentators to frequently be quoting technical details during the duration of the race. You don't need to be an engineer or mechanic to take in the significance of the points being made and it makes it all hugely more enjoyable.

The floating camera good idea but for those watching in HD the quality is woeful then it snaps into HD as they change the camera angle. The change simply highlights how poor the floating camera is. Like helmet cam , what a waste of time to continue using every race.

• Like 1

Delighted at the prospect of this column going by the blurb i've seen so far. I mentioned elsewhere how good it was to see the addition of a 'Track Walk' section in the annual preview edition of the Star.

I think most sports on tv nowadays have experts/guides imparting details on the specifics of the sport on show. Geez if Gary Neville can accumulate a following full of admiration for his 'insights' then speedway's Chris Louis can tread fearlessly.

I watch the American sport of NASCAR and it's just accepted second nature for the tv commentators to frequently be quoting technical details during the duration of the race. You don't need to be an engineer or mechanic to take in the significance of the points being made and it makes it all hugely more enjoyable.

Dont think you can compare Nascar to speedway really :D I think the screen does not suit speedway at all or not as presently used.

The floating camera good idea but for those watching in HD the quality is woeful then it snaps into HD as they change the camera angle. The change simply highlights how poor the floating camera is. Like helmet cam , what a waste of time to continue using every race.

I don't agree. I think that as long as it is not overused it is good. Something a bit different. Well done to SKY for trying to vary things a little. :t::approve: :approve:

• Like 3

The Bat camera or floating cam as some are calling it is HD but pretty obvious you are not going to get the same quality from a small camera the size of a tube of polos compared to a full 150k broadcast camera with 30k lens on it.

I do agree that the timing of use does need a bit of refinement which will happen and it works best in the natural light, in fact at Wolves with its yellow glow floodlights it was just not useable.

The live reports from around the tracks will happen when there is other meetings taking place on the same dates and times but will also need good quality mobile coverage as well.