British Speedway Forum

Sky's Additions To It's Speedway Coverage.

I thought I'd give the programme a couple of meetings to settle in before passing any comment.

The Inside Track feature is as good an idea as any for filler between heats or stoppages. Does Chris pick out the subjects to analyse himself, or is he directed? Just curious.

The Round The Tracks is a welcome addition, and should come into it's own towards the business end of the season. Co-ordinating the updates with the beginning of live races looks pretty slick, I'd be keeping that in.

Not so much an addition as an improvement, but credit where it's due to Nigel and Kelvin who have undoubtedly worked on their co-commentating roles over the winter. Far less talking over each other, and a tad more constraint during the 'exciting' moments is making for a better, dare I say more professional, production.

Chris Louis looks a bit more confident in front of the camera considering he is practically guaranteed to be hung out to dry by non-compliant technology one evening (or is his slot delayed to cover this?). Sam and Charlie - ach, if they're reliable, presentable and turn up sober when they're meant to that's half the battle in showbiz and if anyone fancies their chances of doing better I'm sure Sky would love to hear from you.

credit where it's due to Nigel and Kelvin who have undoubtedly worked on their co-commentating roles over the winter.

Mmm, not sure I had noticed! They still do their constant head turning to the camera when talking to each other, not at all professional. They don't need to look at the audience when talking to each other.

If they now got rid of Charlie, her questions aren't good and she does not add to the quality of the coverage and get Chris Louis to do all the interviews, with the losers too ............

While in previous years I would agree with you I think Charlie has been really good this season. She seems so much more relaxed, and has more of a rapport with the riders, able to laugh and joke a little with them, and she is certainly very pleasing on the eye.

Good to see Chris using the technology available even if it's just a filler. Football uses it and SKY has thrown the kitchen sink at GP F1 using it so why not speedway? Just relying on interviews between races was not enough because the riders - apart from the rare characters -say pretty much nothing. I got sick of hearing what Bomber "was there for". I wanted to know what he was doing about his gating. :blink:

I don't just want to hear that they're making a few changes to their bike. Occasionally I'd like to know what - if it's not a secret. I want to know why Tai has finally dropped the Jawa engine in favour of the GM like so many others and how much difference it makes.

The brief update was fine until they told me Lakeside had collapsed :lol:

Just as a side note I must say well done to Coventry for the new lighting they have put it all around the track, I know it's mainly for the dog racing they cover for rptv. But it made the coverage look really impressive I thought with sharp pictures all night it's amazing what a difference having the right amount of lighting makes to picture and makes the coverage easier to do as less adjustments needed on cameras and kit. Just a shame the team and racing wasn't the best so Brandon may not be top of the list for many more meetings come the playoff run in

• Like 1

Please tell me we haven't got Sam again tonight or I may have some 'sound adjustments' to make :-P

Watching him struggle with the Queens English was one of the highlights last night. Who on earth is Holy Allen though, he was riding last night according to Sam. Then he moved onto Mick Hortons betting activity before Nigel quickly corrected him

Shouty telling Rossiter "you're doing well pal" after getting a riders name wrong. Christ this sounds like footballs fanzone commentary.

It was far too buddy/buddy and this reinforces what someone said last week about it being 'jobs for the boys' type thing. Whilst I like Rosco, and he always makes for a great interview, commentary is not his thing, not yet at least.

Shouty was his usual self... no point me rehashing what I think about him, without Tatum he is even worse, at least Kelvin adds a little balance.

I was pleasantly surprised at Tai and his insightful comments, he seemed pretty relaxed when speaking. Again, like Alun not yet for commentary, but I would not rule him out growing into that role one day, but his punditry type comments I thought were pretty good and I would be not against him sitting inbetween Shouty and Kelvin for other meetings in the season.

It would mean we would have to put up wuith Shouty sucking up to him more, but makes a change from him sucking up about Ward and Holder and Hancock.

• Like 1

Just to let you know the Sky live matches for June are now up on the Sky sports website with Peterborough vs Wolves,Somerset vs Edinburgh, Birmingham vs Poole these are the planned matches but are subject to change

Edited by flagrag

Just to let you know the Sky live matches for June are now up on the Sky sports website with Peterborough vs Wolves,Somerset vs Edinburgh, Birmingham vs Poole these are the planned matches but are subject to change

Great to see another Premier League match on Tv, I know its from the Oak Tree Arena again but its a fantastic track and Im sure it will provide us with fantastic racing once more. :approve:

Brummies v Poole on again, Sky seem to love this fixture. In each of the past 2 seasons its been on Sky and on each time its been a Poole away win. Hope its different this time!! :P

Edited by Brummie Kev

Great to see another Premier League match on Tv, I know its from the Oak Tree Arena again but its a fantastic track and Im sure it will provide us with fantastic racing once more. :approve:

Brummies v Poole on again, Sky seem to love this fixture. In each of the past 2 seasons its been on Sky and on each time its been a Poole away win. Hope its different this time!! :P

Yet, other than the British Final, there appears to be only one league fixture this month, Poole v Kings Lynn on the 27th.

It was far too buddy/buddy and this reinforces what someone said last week about it being 'jobs for the boys' type thing. Whilst I like Rosco, and he always makes for a great interview, commentary is not his thing, not yet at least.

Shouty was his usual self... no point me rehashing what I think about him, without Tatum he is even worse, at least Kelvin adds a little balance.

I was pleasantly surprised at Tai and his insightful comments, he seemed pretty relaxed when speaking. Again, like Alun not yet for commentary, but I would not rule him out growing into that role one day, but his punditry type comments I thought were pretty good and I would be not against him sitting inbetween Shouty and Kelvin for other meetings in the season.

It would mean we would have to put up wuith Shouty sucking up to him more, but makes a change from him sucking up about Ward and Holder and Hancock.

I thought Tai was excellent, he knocked spots off Rossiter!

flagrag could you please put exact website details on here, or pm me, as the main site Speedway Live Dates still show March dates, and Speedway Watch Live show from May 21st, thanks.

The Scunthorpe meeting was good and I hope they show more PL meetings. Agree that Tai came over well. Rosco will have to learn not to turn sideways when on tv.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1