British Speedway Forum

Sky's Additions To It's Speedway Coverage.

dont miss the sky sports lite league at all. eurosport are doing a great job with the G.P.s why pay extra to watch a few top guys, R/R (premier men riding for their own track. ) and a bunch of no hope poles and other guys. didnt get the lite league speedway on sky this season and never will now....

Am I the only one that will get more and more annoyed with Chris Louis and his gadget over the coming weeks??? As insightful as some aspects of the sport can be, isn't it a bit much for him to be looking at his handheld tablet and making pretty zoomed in circles to see where a rider is looking for his teammate rather than talk to the rider he's interviewing???

Drawing lines on the track where his bike is pointing and which line the bike is moving out into? To me, it's too much!

I like the technical stuff and the interviews but this is over the top to me... It's likened to the bit that Gary Neville does on Monday night football... Totally ridiculous.

I do like Around the tracks mind... When I'm watching SKY, I don't have the updates on, so it's good to know what's going on. Maybe it's the way forward for teams to use Monday as a raceday and stop all the in-Europe fighting for riders... Then a live/update programme will come into it's own...

I do hope Ryan Sullivan was just nervous though!!!

Just give Chris Louis a blackboard and some chalk! think of the money they will save!

dont miss the sky sports lite league at all. eurosport are doing a great job with the G.P.s why pay extra to watch a few top guys, R/R (premier men riding for their own track. ) and a bunch of no hope poles and other guys. didnt get the lite league speedway on sky this season and never will now....

Very nice of you to comment on something you've not been watching, I'm sure your opinion will go a long way right now.

My opinion of the new additions to the Sky production are that they are superb and definitely a step in the right direction. Nice to see they're thinking of new things to do now they don't have the GPs any more.

• Like 5

I think Sky have ramped up the coverage this year and think it is really good. "Inside Track" with Chris Louis is a good addition and a good insight on how to ride the track and also when he gets to talk to the riders and show them a race they struggled in and see what happened and the reason why. As the season goes on I am sure it will get better.

With the updates around the tracks I am surprised they have not done this before and again it is good addition. I am sure Ryan was just a little nervous and a few more weeks in front of the camera and he will get better.

Thoroughly enjoyed the Speedway on SKY last night. I thought that Chris Louis was excellent and that the 'around the Tracks' Sections were terrific. I wish folk wouldn't have a go at Sam Ermolenko and Ryan Sullivan - they were both trying to do something new - I thought, considering that, they both did rather well.

A big Well Done to SKY - they have done their best to improve their product and they should be praised for that. I, for one, hope that SKY can renew their Speedway Contract from next year. I prefer the League Speedway to the GPs** anyway.

Perhaps we could see a bit more Premier League Speedway.

Just a suggestion.

**Even though I watch the GPs. :shock::blink:

One of the most hilarious (serious) posts I've read on here in a long time and trust me there been a few contenders. Honestly didn’t you read it back to yourself before you posted it?

As I’m out dogging most evenings I don’t get to watch the speedway coverage live I record it and watch it later, over the past few seasons I normally wiz thought the coverage in about 45 minutes. But both last week and this I watched the whole programme, in my opinion SKY have up’d there game and hopefully don’t seem like a company about to pull out at the end of the season.

As for eurosport its great they have the GP’s and the NZ GP was excellent but I’m not judging them after just one meeting practically as the coverage they get for GP'S is pretty much the same as sky have had or would have got anyway.

Edited by Pirio Barre
  • Like 1

Just added on drivvle if you ask me, just concentrate on the racing product rather than stop start with all the technical stuff that basically no-one needs to know about, anyone watching it for the first time would just be confused, probably the last season sky will cover it anyway.

eeer, and inbetween races you want them to just stand their twiddling their thumbs?

Am I the only one that will get more and more annoyed with Chris Louis and his gadget over the coming weeks??? As insightful as some aspects of the sport can be, isn't it a bit much for him to be looking at his handheld tablet and making pretty zoomed in circles to see where a rider is looking for his teammate rather than talk to the rider he's interviewing???

Drawing lines on the track where his bike is pointing and which line the bike is moving out into? To me, it's too much!

I like the technical stuff and the interviews but this is over the top to me... It's likened to the bit that Gary Neville does on Monday night football... Totally ridiculous.

I do like Around the tracks mind... When I'm watching SKY, I don't have the updates on, so it's good to know what's going on. Maybe it's the way forward for teams to use Monday as a raceday and stop all the in-Europe fighting for riders... Then a live/update programme will come into it's own...

I do hope Ryan Sullivan was just nervous though!!!

I quitre like it, his knowledge showed a line that I had not seen in the live action. Ok, perhaps he could point at the screen instead of the gadget, but the gadget is fine in my opinion :)

It is good to hear that the majority are happy with the updated coverage of the Elite league and the use of new technology, Although I am rather biased I think it really does improve the coverage and makes it a lot more enjoyable.

The around the tracks feature was a trial using very new technology called Live U which basically removes the expense and restrictions of having a satellite uplink truck at the other tracks , instead the pictures from the one camera is fed into a box that fits into a backpack and then broadcasts it by using 12 SIM cards and sends it over 3G and 4G mobile phone networks.

You may have noticed the coverage from Wolves looked better than Belle Vue that was due to two reasons poor light in the pits at BV something that can be sorted by us but it was mainly down to us getting very good 4G signal from EE at Wolves with it providing over 55mb upload speeds where at BV most data was sent over the 3 and Vodafone 3G networks.

This service will improve over the summer the more EE and other networks roll out 4G across the UK

We did try sending some race footage over to Swindon but the fast live action made the picture come rather blurry and really did not look so good but again will improve with lighter evenings and more bandwidth.

Edited by flagrag
  • Like 6

I still cringe when Charlie is doing her rider interviews :neutral:

Sky seem to assume that having a female will keep the blokes happy - rubbish. If Pearson and Tatum played back and analysed their commentary they would learn and improve, I like the Chris Louis bit, I'd like to see more different riders interviewed - eg North and Birks last night. And for gods sake pension off Ermolenko!

• Like 1

It is good to hear that the majority are happy with the updated coverage of the Elite league and the use of new technology, Although I am rather biased I think it really does improve the coverage and makes it a lot more enjoyable.

The around the tracks feature was a trial using very new technology called Live U which basically removes the expense and restrictions of having a satellite uplink truck at the other tracks , instead the pictures from the one camera is fed into a box that fits into a backpack and then broadcasts it by using 12 SIM cards and sends it over 3G and 4G mobile phone networks.

You may have noticed the coverage from Wolves looked better than Belle Vue that was due to two reasons poor light in the pits at BV something that can be sorted by us but it was mainly down to us getting very good 4G signal from EE at Wolves with it providing over 55mb upload speeds where at BV most data was sent over the 3 and Vodafone 3G networks.

This service will improve over the summer the more EE and other networks roll out 4G across the UK

We did try sending some race footage over to Swindon but the fast live action made the picture come rather blurry and really did not look so good but again will improve with lighter evenings and more bandwidth.

Thanks for the insight flagrag.

I think the additions improve the coverage no-end.

These innovations make me think that Sky is far from contemplating dropping the Elite League coverage next year.

• Like 1

I've now watched a re-run of Monday's meeting (didn't watch it live as I preferred the footie and BBCWM's coverage of Wolves v Poole) and thoroughly enjoyed the 'new coverage'. Aside from any personal views about the presenting personnel, there are not many if any suitable alternatives. Good on Sky for trying out Ryan - he will only get better, before he disappears back to Oz! - and I don't dislike the Charlie Webster interviews - never as good as Suzi Perry or Sophie Blake - but she is learning. Maybe each track or Sky should put her in an enclosed studio environment and she could adopt her FHM magazine attire when doing the interviews??! It could act like the 2-minute warning! :lol:

• Like 1

I record it and start watching at 8pm, fast forwarding to the races. Not interested in the drivel and the Louis 'thing', he is just telling me what I already know, find it pointless myself. Charlie is so bad, she's almost funny..

I record it and start watching at 8pm, fast forwarding to the races. Not interested in the drivel and the Louis 'thing', he is just telling me what I already know, find it pointless myself. Charlie is so bad,she's almost funny.

I bet you would though??! I know I would!! :P