British Speedway Forum

Ipswich Vs Rye House March 29th 2.30pm

Considering the cold weather and as per usual for an afternoon Foxhall meeting slick track the meeting wasn't bad. I suspect with a grippy track the meeting would have been more than good!

Crowd although big by normal standards, wasn't that big for a Good Friday, another 1000 would of been tempted out in normal weather conditions!

The Witches made hard work of beating a Rye House team that probably won't be challenging at the top of the table!

Barker done his job and will do better in evening meetings when he can build up more speed on grippier surfaces!

Makinen - Very poor and only justified my huge doubts hen I heard the Withes had signed him. Looks very awkward on a bike and its hard to see where it will get much better for him!

Tungate - Inconsistant as usual. Hopefully EL outings for Poole will bring out more consistancy in him!

Risager - Again disapointing. Has always had potential and has nearly always not shown it in results. Needs to get better if Witches are to seriously challenge!

Lanham - Slow start understandably after doing next to nothing all winter but got better and paid 11 was a decent return. Not a fans favourite but is more likely to deliver decent end product then other team members!

Ellis - 3 points so got his average and done his job. Looks like hes got much potential to get better!

Heeps - A winters riding in Aussie paid dividendsfor him. His high score won the match for Ipswich!

Must get better if they are to challenge but its early days as yet!

Plymouth on Thursday will be harder I suspect!

• Like 1

<snip>

My second meeting of the season and first "incident" with a home supporter... Oh dear!

Common denominator ;) Hope it wasn't anything too dramatic. Can't imagine much that would have got anyone upset - maybe Lambert charging under & through Lanham, but that was about it.

Dave Love@Stegglesaurus

A basic photostitch (using paint!) of Foxhall before today's match #speedway pic.twitter.com/OR4TptpHFn

Common denominator ;) Hope it wasn't anything too dramatic. Can't imagine much that would have got anyone upset - maybe Lambert charging under & through Lanham, but that was about it.

Nah, storm in a tea cup really... Basically some bloke asked, sorry, TOLD us to sit down while the racing was on... I politely told him that I wouldn't... he moved his chair over a couple of feet muttering the "c" word with kids all around us. I declinded to take it any further. There's a long season ahead.

• Like 1

A win is a win however it comes.

This is the type of meeting we would have lost last year.

A few of the boys looked a bit sluggish and the lack of track time seemed to show. Good to see them out afterwards getting in a few laps.

Superb team riding from Ben made all the difference today along with an inspired Cam.

Not the time for critisism of any individual at this stage imo.

Adams heat 2 win was a glimpse of his potential - nice style smooth and quick. Heres to many more.

• Like 1

Nah, storm in a tea cup really... Basically some bloke asked, sorry, TOLD us to sit down while the racing was on... I politely told him that I wouldn't... he moved his chair over a couple of feet muttering the "c" word with kids all around us. I declinded to take it any further. There's a long season ahead.

You are Mr Snackette, and I claim my £5 LOL!

Edited by Roger Jacobs

Close meeting, well done to the Witches for pulling it off in heat 15. Its great to see some team riding & Ben Barker looks to be a great signing. Well done to Cameron Heeps too.

I've been to some cold meetings at Foxhall but that was absolutely freezing!

I see a few people moaning about the Witches already but after what happened in the first meeting last year & what I've read about poor Adam Roynon tonight, we should all just be thankful for an injury free opener.

• Like 1

Decent performance from the Rockets who undoubtably have the scope to improve as the season goes on. Len Silver looked pretty happy and so he should given some of the expets views on his team strength. Good to see a few overdue improvements going on at the stadium as well

Its took me till now to get thawed out that must have been the coldest speedway meeting Ive been to, so here now are my comments on the meeting.

On a very slick track passing was almost impossible so gating was paramount with gate 4 a "dead duck" without a single win. Suppose its understandable that Bob would have problems getting the track fit for racing but surely more dirt could have been added Friday morning.

Barker was simply brilliant with some wonderful team riding and its great to see that reappear after several years with none. Having a genuine no1 at last won us the meeting without a doubt.

Makinen was awful and exactly what most of us expected, cl see's something in him but its difficult to see what so lets hope he improves a massive amount.

Tungate looked on par with last season, so lets hope for an improvement there but did ok.

Risager looked extremely poor pootling around the white line as always and slow but we know why he holds down a team place which in my opinion he is not worthy of. Rival Ben for no1 spot cl, lol

Lanham although looking slow still scored well and looked much happier at no5 and lets hope he up's his low average this season.

Ellis started off magnificently with a great win in a fast time but then after had outside gates and failed to get to grips of the slick conditions but still looked a great prospect.

Heeps was without doubt Witches kingpin and was used by Pete very expertly in extra races (no fault of his he ended one with an ef) and rode very well indeed.

All in all a hard fought win but not a good performance at all and any stronger opposition would have seen Witches defeated. Big improvements will have to be made if anything is to be achieved at Rye and at home to a strong looking Plymouth side.

They are one rider away from being real contenders, especially if it meant getting Garrity to reserve.

Wasted 6.99 signing Simon Lambert if you take his average and what's remaining up to 42.5... Surely there was someone around who would've fitted into a second string berth to allow Jason Garrity to start at reserve? Len Silver is on record as saying that he doesn't look at the points and signs the best seven riders available. Really? Why not admit that it was purely a financial decision?

Wasted 6.99 signing Simon Lambert if you take his average and what's remaining up to 42.5... Surely there was someone around who would've fitted into a second string berth to allow Jason Garrity to start at reserve? Len Silver is on record as saying that he doesn't look at the points and signs the best seven riders available. Really? Why not admit that it was purely a financial decision?

Considering how early the team was finalised and announced, one would of assumed Ricky Kling who has guested for Rye House in the past would of been the perfect shoe in.

You'd also have to assume he'd come at a much greater cost than Simon Lambert which backs up your last sentence.

Edited by Najjer

Considering how early the team was finalised and announced, one would of assumed Ricky Kling who has guested for Rye House in the past would of been the perfect shoe in.

You'd also have to assume he'd come at a much greater cost than Simon Lambert which backs up your last sentence.

Looked a nailed on signing to me, but would've been a budget buster... Can't say I blame Silver for not wanting to ruin the club. Gotta live within your means I s'pose.

Edited by Shadders

Dakota North or Taylor Poole would have allowed garrity at reserve?

Its took me till now to get thawed out that must have been the coldest speedway meeting Ive been to, so here now are my comments on the meeting.

On a very slick track passing was almost impossible so gating was paramount with gate 4 a "dead duck" without a single win. Suppose its understandable that Bob would have problems getting the track fit for racing but surely more dirt could have been added Friday morning.

Barker was simply brilliant with some wonderful team riding and its great to see that reappear after several years with none. Having a genuine no1 at last won us the meeting without a doubt.

Makinen was awful and exactly what most of us expected, cl see's something in him but its difficult to see what so lets hope he improves a massive amount.

Tungate looked on par with last season, so lets hope for an improvement there but did ok.

Risager looked extremely poor pootling around the white line as always and slow but we know why he holds down a team place which in my opinion he is not worthy of. Rival Ben for no1 spot cl, lol

Lanham although looking slow still scored well and looked much happier at no5 and lets hope he up's his low average this season.

Ellis started off magnificently with a great win in a fast time but then after had outside gates and failed to get to grips of the slick conditions but still looked a great prospect.

Heeps was without doubt Witches kingpin and was used by Pete very expertly in extra races (no fault of his he ended one with an ef) and rode very well indeed.

All in all a hard fought win but not a good performance at all and any stronger opposition would have seen Witches defeated. Big improvements will have to be made if anything is to be achieved at Rye and at home to a strong looking Plymouth side.

congratulations on a fair assessment. Jari and Adam were always going to take time, although both started to look more comfortable on their practice laps after. my only difference of opinion is of morten, yes he pootled round the inside but i do seem to remember him running olly allen up the banking in heat 5 n hold him off for that one point, a point that proved vital in the end. and your accusations for how he got his spot are unfounded so stop banging on bout it. Hope cams wrist is ok, had ice on it after the meeting after he aggravated it going through the fence. But all in all, an average performance with plenty of potential for improvement, bodes well for later in the season.

Edited by tcoz88

Simon Lambert rode as a guest reserve for Workington yesterday. He scored 7+1 from four rides.

Simon Lambert rode as a guest reserve for Workington yesterday. He scored 7+1 from four rides.

We're only racing there once this year.

Edited by Shadders

I'd say he was right to be annoyed if you got there after him and went in front of him and blocked his view

That's not "having a run in with a home fan", that's being ignorant and expecting other people to put up with it

• Like 1