British Speedway Forum

Speedway On Eurosport

Only caught the end of the meeting, following the conclusion of the Villarreal / Almería game. Coverage appeared fair enough - decent pictures, good action replays. In my view The Pairs were no better / worse than any other meeting that's been on telly this year - the odd tiny nugget of excitement in a pan of tedious mediocrity. Clearly the meeting didn't hold my attention, as I had turned over before the end, as I didn't want to miss the start of the final episode of Arne Dahl on BBC4.

Well i have. I watch the ski jumping on Eurosport and the coverage of that is also low budget stuff i.e crap. Sometimes it even cuts off about 10 minutes before the end. The prestigous Four Hills Tournament this winter, they only showed 3 hills. :blink:

The sound on the speedway coverage is terrible,the bikes just sound like there's a fly in the curtains, and it's obvious that the commentary is canned and the presenter is a numpty. It's frustrating.

Better to do without. i turned off last night after 20 minutes.

You watch Ski Jumping on TV, yet you could only stand to watch 20 minutes of the speedway coverage last night! :blink:

I'm not complaining about the actual racing, ok it was rubbish - a put-up, meaningless meeting, it's the poor production that i object to. It's doing nothing for speedway and it's going to turn people away from the sport. if your happy with watching a third rate production ok. It's your license fee....(or not).

Please tell me you're on the wind up. You're a Poole fan, and you think Eurosport speedway coverage is going to turn people away from the sport!!!! You're promoter has done more damage to British Speedway in the past few years than Eurosport could do in a century.

Well i have. I watch the ski jumping on Eurosport and the coverage of that is also low budget stuff i.e crap. Sometimes it even cuts off about 10 minutes before the end. The prestigous Four Hills Tournament this winter, they only showed 3 hills. :blink:

The sound on the speedway coverage is terrible,the bikes just sound like there's a fly in the curtains, and it's obvious that the commentary is canned and the presenter is a numpty. It's frustrating.

Better to do without. i turned off last night after 20 minutes.

You watch Ski Jumping on TV, yet you could only stand to watch 20 minutes of the speedway coverage last night! :blink:

I'm not complaining about the actual racing, ok it was rubbish - a put-up, meaningless meeting, it's the poor production that i object to. It's doing nothing for speedway and it's going to turn people away from the sport. if your happy with watching a third rate production ok. It's your license fee....(or not).

Please tell me you're on the wind up. You're a Poole fan, and you think Eurosport speedway coverage is going to turn people away from the sport!!!! You're promoter has done more damage to British Speedway in the past few years than Eurosport could do in a century.

• Like 2

Why thank you :D I could have used BV as an example in light of their recent faux pas I suppose. But seeing you are a Poole fan, and after cancelling a meeting due to a rider being missing and watching the diabolical EL meeting shown recently on Sky, I thought I'd use Poole as an example instead. But OK, I'll summarise, the BSPA members have probably turned more people away from the sport in the past 3 years than Eurosports coverage could do in a century. Better???

I still think you're on the wind up in any case. Speedway will now be shown in over 50 countries - it'll reach a bigger TV audience than ever before. Do you honestly believe that because the sound from the track isn't as loud as it is on Sky it'll put people off the sport?

• Like 2

I've sat and watched some pretty crap GPs and league matches on Sky over the years but mostly I've stuck with them. In the main Sky coverage was pretty professional. Even when they had Millard commentating from a studio in London the sound of the bikes and atmosphere came thro' from the track but Eurosport make no effort to get it right. As for over running, under running they do the same with everything that they cover it's as if anything will do. No they are poor broadcasters.

So, you would stick with a crap meeting as long as you could hear the bikes?

And yet you switch off after 20 mins when the world's best riders are on show? Sorry, I still don't get it.

I seem to remember a fair few times when Sky have had an over-run problem on another sport and they have switched the speedway to another channel or the red button - not a lot of use if you're out and have set up the recording. At least with Eurosport, you get coverage eventually.

I dare say, if they'd cut off the tennis coverage before the end, they'd have had several times the number of complaints from tennis fans for missing the end than they will from speedway fans because we didn't get the start of the meeting

• Like 1

So, you would stick with a crap meeting as long as you could hear the bikes?

And yet you switch off after 20 mins when the world's best riders are on show? Sorry, I still don't get it.

I like to listen to Kelvin and Nig'. :neutral:

Whilst its not ideal, I'm fine with them sticking with the tennis and running the meeting late. I mean the French Open tennis final is a MAJOR sporting event, who wouldn't want to stick with it.

I'm just pleased that a broadcaster is picking up genuine elite level speedway and showing it.

I like to listen to Kelvin and Nig'. :neutral:

You Bolton lot are just odd!

Too right. Turned over to Discovery channel to watch "Fred Dibnah Knocks down a Bolton Chimley" with commentary by Nig and Kelv. Whooooooooooooa.

Edited by pugwash
  • Like 2

Too right. Turned over to Discovery channel to watch "Fred Dibnah Knocks down a Bolton Chimley" with commentary by Nig and Kelv. Whooooooooooooa.

Absolutely Nigel, fantastic demolition. They were throwing the wrecking balls at each other.

• Like 1

I didn't see the meeting on Saturday, but saw most of it today and enjoyed it. I thought Scott and the other guy did a good job, especially as gate positions and riders kept changing. Both Scott and the other guy (don't know who he is!) have voice tone which is easy on the ear. Well done Eurosport! Not sure if it's been mentioned, but what was the matter with the infield? Is it being reseeded or something? That looked a bit tatty!

• Like 2

Regarding commentators, I dont mind Kelv and Nige. They're not great but they're bearable but I preferred Scott and the other dude, they were there to give info if you wanted but quiet enough you could easily ignore them. I was impressed that Scott always seem to be quick to pick up on reserve changes and gate changes so clearly was able to recognise riders and thats the most important thing for a commentators, get the facts right and the people at home can form their own opinions on great racing and referees calls (of which there were none). I like Scott on tele, he comes across well.

Ah i see-i should take more time reading the post-anyone agree it was an easy mistake to make ?

Yes, sorry, i was referring to the so called two bob tennis match which delayed the coverage of the speedway.