British Speedway Forum

Speedway On Eurosport

Excellent coverage,quite a breath of fresh air,Wade and Jonnno to stay please!

I'd much rather have more camera work in the pits like there was,than the woeful drivel from the studio and pits interviews asked the same questions and talking about the obvious

Only downfal wasn't the coverage but the $hite Ref

• Like 1

I didn't have the SKY package that included Speedway, but did see a few at a friend's. I thoroughly enjoyed the coverage. I thought it was a slick presentation, but with a raw edge, which was in part down to the 2 commentators. Personally, I thought the racing was good too with some heats, excellent. Thank you Eurosport!

• Like 1

Watched the live programme (recorded) last night and was impressed. When Eurosport's name crops up, always think it's going to go off the rails a little. However, it was similar to SKY's coverage and nice to hear a different voice commentating. Also different that there was no studio chat, which I feel was needless in the past anyway. It was different to watch the interval piece on Greg Hancock instead of listening to talk about something we'd just witnessed. Apart from a few exceptions though of brief entertainmenti, shame the racing let us down.

• Like 1

As a fan of MotoGP, BSB and WSB, I had no problem with Eurosport covering SGP, in fact I'm over the moon. I too thought the coverage was decent enough and the HD quality was great. As has been said, the quality of the racing wasn't exceptional, but there were some cracking heats to warm the cockles. Bit depressing though looking at the weather in NZ when ours is so cr4p at the mo!!

As a fan of MotoGP, BSB and WSB, I had no problem with Eurosport covering SGP, in fact I'm over the moon. I too thought the coverage was decent enough and the HD quality was great.

I also thought the coverage was quite decent, even if the racing wasn't. Didn't even mind the commentary, despite the over-excitement of the main commentator (can't remember his name off-hand).

Watched the live programme (recorded) last night and was impressed. When Eurosport's name crops up, always think it's going to go off the rails a little. However, it was similar to SKY's coverage and nice to hear a different voice commentating. Also different that there was no studio chat, which I feel was needless in the past anyway. It was different to watch the interval piece on Greg Hancock instead of listening to talk about something we'd just witnessed. Apart from a few exceptions though of brief entertainmenti, shame the racing let us down.

I think no studio chat was a bonus as it is just a boring time wasting exercise with Sky(same old everytme)

Although I watch speedway on SKY and appreciate the coverage offered, perhaps their product has become a little fatigued and needs a re-hash. Last night's show proved there is no real need for studio guests or chat. I think SKY get a product to a certain level and fail toadd anything extra of interest. After umpteen years of covering the sport, perhaps their failure to insure footage for any of last season's rain-off - apart from rehashed GP footage - was a bit of a disappointment, The mid-meeting clip on Greg Hancock was a welcome and refreshing change and far better than studio analysis.

I'm confused. Pearson and Tatum have been taking stick on here for years for being 'shouty' and having just watched the GP for the second time, the Aussie commentator did nothing but shout during the heats yet there's nothing but praise for the guy.....

Also, what is a 'great launch'?

• Like 1

At first I thought the new commentators were ok, but after a while the bias towards the Australian riders started to grate a bit after a while.

Perhaps they will have some European comms in place when the tour returns to the northern hemisphere? I guess Euro sport didn't have much time to get their own commentary team in place?

I'm confused. Pearson and Tatum have been taking stick on here for years for being 'shouty' and having just watched the GP for the second time, the Aussie commentator did nothing but shout during the heats yet there's nothing but praise for the guy.....

Also, what is a 'great launch'?

Perhaps their variety of phrases made the difference ;)
  • Like 1

watched the highlights show lastnight...all done in 2 hours... :t:

£2.99 well spent - beat trying to find some dodgy internet feed as I refused to take out a sky subscription just for speedway

Quite why everybody is still going on about the concerns of the program are beyond me, they are using the world feed its hardly going to be poor. Johnno was very good. The other guy shouted a lot. However the commentary was ok. I do think that people would soon moan if we had him every round so the the trick is to rotate the duos.

• Like 2

I don't get how everyone keeps congratulating everybody for the 'coverage'... it's the same cameras, the same shots, the same people as last year. Apart from at Cardiff, sky only piggybacked on the live feed provided by somewhere else. The only difference between that and Eurosport's is that ES didn't provide a fancy studio and had different commentators. That's it. Apart from that it was exactly how Sky would have shown it.

I don't get how everyone keeps congratulating everybody for the 'coverage'... it's the same cameras, the same shots, the same people as last year. Apart from at Cardiff, sky only piggybacked on the live feed provided by somewhere else. The only difference between that and Eurosport's is that ES didn't provide a fancy studio and had different commentators. That's it. Apart from that it was exactly how Sky would have shown it.

Eurosport didn't have different commentators. As you said they simply took the world feed and the commentary that came with it. The only difference was they stayed with the feed throughout whereas SKY used to cut out of it and do the studio bit.

I think "congratualting" is a bit of a strong desription... people are just relieved Eurosport actually used the feed, and used it well, because my experience of this network when covering speedway still gives me sleepless nights... even 20 years on I remember them with one World Cup Final, I think Engand (as we were back then) had a great shot of Gold. However, by the time Eurosport had aired a 2 minute commercial slot, they resumed coverage, missed several races, and England... well, they were back to being England and had blown all chances. I also recall one World Pairs they did, spending what seemed like hours in the pits before the meeting, then showing a few heats before running out of time and going off air!

Edited by moxey63

Eurosport didn't have different commentators. As you said they simply took the world feed and the commentary that came with it. The only difference was they stayed with the feed throughout whereas SKY used to cut out of it and do the studio bit.

You're missing my point. Everybody keeps raving about how great a job eurosport did, the only thing they did that was different to Sky's production was that there were different commentators than what we're used to, and there were no studio scenes. Regardless of who Eurosport provide for commentary, this was different to what Sky provided.

It really wasn't that different to what Sky produced and yet, people have provided nothing but praise for something that in reality, is very much the same as what Sky provided. It'll be even less of a difference when we get to Bydgoszcz.

• Like 1

You're missing my point. Everybody keeps raving about how great a job eurosport did, the only thing they did that was different to Sky's production was that there were different commentators than what we're used to, and there were no studio scenes. Regardless of who Eurosport provide for commentary, this was different to what Sky provided.

It really wasn't that different to what Sky produced and yet, people have provided nothing but praise for something that in reality, is very much the same as what Sky provided. It'll be even less of a difference when we get to Bydgoszcz.

I am not missing your point, it is just that your point is totally wrong, Like I explained, neither Eurosport or SKY provide the commentary They buy the world feed and it comes with it. Had Sky extended their contract to show the GPs you would have watched the exact same pictures and commentary as you did on Eurosport. When the GP comes back to Europe the commentary will once again be Nigel and Kelvin. SKYs only addition was the studio section, Eurosport simply let the feed run

I am not missing your point, it is just that your point is totally wrong, Like I explained, neither Eurosport or SKY provide the commentary They buy the world feed and it comes with it. Had Sky extended their contract to show the GPs you would have watched the exact same pictures and commentary as you did on Eurosport. When the GP comes back to Europe the commentary will once again be Nigel and Kelvin. SKYs only addition was the studio section, Eurosport simply let the feed run

What about the dirge from the airhead in the pits?