British Speedway Forum

Speedway On Eurosport

Touching the tapes then excluded, what a stupid rule I was looking forward to that final, why not 2 tape touches then your out. You can always depend on speedway rules to muck thing's up.

I agree that this was disappointing. A rule change to penalise tape touching would be welcome. Punish the offender with a handicap for the re-start, let say puthim 20 or 30 yards behind the start line.

I dont agree with what people are saying about touching the tapes. Its simple touch the tapes and your out. The next thing people will be asking will be that if you come off and you have stopped the race and its the final is should be all 4 back, i dont think so. I know years ago you could touch the tapes but rules have changed. Riders must be ready and if your reactions are not good enough then you miss the start. Riders work hard on getting the start right and if you are in the final and havent touch the tapes once all evening then you have had 6 rides to get there then you must be somthing right. But to say but them back or have a handicap is just stupid.

But i do think the final should be 6 laps no question about that.

• Like 1

I missed the GP (mainly because i forgot), does anyone know if it will be repeated or in the Eurosport on demand? I cant see anythign listed. If Tai does go on to win more, I suspect Sky will be kicking themselves at letting the GPs go from a British point of view.

This is always useful. Just type Speedway in the search field.

http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide

So, what's that then - 20 or 25, maybe more years since the rule was brought in?

Pretty good rule if the average is 4 or less "screw ups" a century.

How much better would the semifinal have been if it had been over 6 laps, or maybe 8?

Stupid 4 laps rule.

Well if your happy watching the grand final with 25% of the rider's missing, then each to his own. I personally would like to see them handicapped or the rider who finished in 5th place put in.

Well if your happy watching the grand final with 25% of the rider's missing, then each to his own. I personally would like to see them handicapped or the rider who finished in 5th place put in.

I am, because it's a sport. What would you have said if Emil had got the the first bend and fell off? "Don't exclude him I want to see 4 riders"? The rules are you stay on your bike, don't know anyone else off and don't touch the tapes. Do any of them things and you're booted out. Winning a GP is more than being able to ride a bike very fast for 4 laps, I'm willing to bet theres many riders could do that but doing it knowing it the pressure of a GP final, making s start, not jumping the start and not riding the rider rather than the race is what make a speedway rider a GP winner and not just a very good rider.

Absolutely spot on SCB.

There was a lot of pressure in that final. Emil had chosen gate 2 as it was the best gate.. however, he also knew that Tai was getting out of the starts quicker than him (except of 4 of course) and if Tai hit turn 1 first from gate 1 it would be pretty much game over. Thus Emil knew he had to make a near perfect start in order to get over Tai into turn 1. It's that pressure I believe that made him touch the tapes.

Plus of course, there is a lot more pressure involved when you know you're live on Eurosport.

Edited by BWitcher

• 2 weeks later...

Scotty did a good job last night, and Sophie was a joy to watch in the Cardiff pits doing her interviews, making Charlie look like a bumbling idiot in comparison. Probably the best presented Cardiff GP by a mile, well done Eurosport.

• Like 9

Scotty did a good job last night, and Sophie was a joy to watch in the Cardiff pits doing her interviews, making Charlie look like a bumbling idiot in comparison. Probably the best presented Cardiff GP by a mile, well done Eurosport.

The Eurosport guy (Andy Vane?) was also very proficient - a Speedway novice but it didnt show!

Think eurosport are doing a great job showing the Gps. Great choice in Nicholls & Sophie, very refreshing & good to have somebody who knows what they are talking about.

Totally right always have liked Scott even at Swindon when he got some unwarranted crap from some.Sophie Blake i just didn't realise how good she is at her job knows her stuff she is top draw in my opinion.
  • Like 1

Think eurosport are doing a great job showing the Gps. Great choice in Nicholls & Sophie, very refreshing & good to have somebody who knows what they are talking about.

Have to agree - I'm not a Nicholls' fan but he was a great presenter, and his missus was asking intelligent questions too.

Another plus for Eurosport is showing all the official riders' intros before the meeting and the presentations after - Sky would have 'gone back to the studio' for more drivel from Keith Huewen .... :cry:

• Like 3

I agree, the woman on Sky asks the daftest and often unanswerable questions. Coverage was good but the track preparation was a disgrace, you would think they would have learned by now.

Scott and Sophie were good at least Sophie does not need someone in her ear telling her what questions to ask,as some people make out that that is all that is wrong with Charlie on Sky.You feel confident that Sophie is not going to ask stupid. Questions.Scott was patient with the Eurosport guy who obviously hadn't a clue.
  • Like 2

If he's new to the sport we can forgive a lack of knowledge, after all that's why Scott was there; to provide the informed comment, which he did very well. Personally I was rather won over by the presenter's enthusiasm. He may not be the most knowledgable, but he certainly seemed to be loving being there. Certainly a for more lively combination than Keith Huewen and Sam Ermolenko who often came across as bored with procedings.

Sophie Blake was of course excellent. Her inside knowledge of the sport makes her so much more natural in interviewing the riders.

• Like 5

The Eurosport guy said at the beginning that it was his first speedway meeting. With Tatum to begin with before commentary duties & Nicholls throughout, he asked intelligent "novice" questions and got intelligent answers.

Never rated Nicholls when on Sky, usually with a non-English speaking co-pundit (usually Ermolenko or Havelock). Last night it was like a different guy.

Having the parade & presentations is such a huge improvement over going back to the Sky Studio - even when the studio is in a box in the stadium!

Mrs Nicholls was competent and didn't make an arse of herself. This in itself was a revelation in comparison to what we have to endure to get to the next heat on Sky these days.

If only coverage was like that on what is rapidly becoming "the other channel" that carries speedway with, for obvious reasons, Premier Sports in 3rd place.

Looking forward to the Pairs next week - just a shame that Team GB are too good to put a pair forward lol.

• Like 5

The Eurosport guy said at the beginning that it was his first speedway meeting. With Tatum to begin with before commentary duties & Nicholls throughout, he asked intelligent "novice" questions and got intelligent answers.

Never rated Nicholls when on Sky, usually with a non-English speaking co-pundit (usually Ermolenko or Havelock). Last night it was like a different guy.

Having the parade & presentations is such a huge improvement over going back to the Sky Studio - even when the studio is in a box in the stadium!

Mrs Nicholls was competent and didn't make an arse of herself. This in itself was a revelation in comparison to what we have to endure to get to the next heat on Sky these days.

If only coverage was like that on what is rapidly becoming "the other channel" that carries speedway with, for obvious reasons, Premier Sports in 3rd place.

Looking forward to the Pairs next week - just a shame that Team GB are too good to put a pair forward lol.

:t::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 1

I was also very impressed with Scott last night, his previous performances on sky had left me very much less so, so why the big change do we think ? Are the Eurosport directors more laid back and thereby they let presenters be themselves ? I always get the impression that sky think that they need to hype up all there sports presentation whereas Eurosports coverage comes over much more as only speak when necessary. Sophie really showed us how cardboard Charlie really is (as if we needed any proof). The other guy I have never seen before but no complaints from me about him, but here is the real shock ! the other two muppets doing the commentary did'nt annoy me last night, and I think that's because they were only a very small part of the package, whereas on a Monday night they are on screen almost 100% of the time. A vast improvement of the British Grand Prix presentation over previous years, kept simple, and covered from start to finish.

• Like 2