British Speedway Forum

24th August 2013 Gp Challenge @ Poole

So harris makes 100 starts and because of his brain speed he makes 100 bad starts ? Well that's not true is it ,I would say he makes say 1 in 5 unless he has the brain speed of a dodo or me its his technique

what do you think starting technique is ? to me it's how quick you can react to when the tapes lift mixed in with how the bike is set up .

PLENTY of knowledgable riders will tell you that technique is important. Where and how you sit on the bike, etc. Where I would agree, Chris is lacking in his seeming inability to take on board what advice he could seek.

Mauger and Gollob had a particular technique which worked for them; Hancock, too. Others like Wiltshire and Tatum were almost instinctive.

• Like 1

.... or to wind some elaborate tale about chasing your own world championship dream in whatever "sport" you compete in.

Not that it's anything to do with anything, but what I said is completely true. I'm really not concerned about whether you choose to believe it but if it bothers you that much I'll gladly send you the receipts for the 500 mile round trip this weekend, the 600 mile round trip the weekend after or the countless others throughout the winter. And I 100% guarantee you that if I was first reserve for the world championships and had a genuine chance of playing then I would be there. Again, whether you choose to believe it is not a concern to me, I'm simply stating fact. It's called commitment.

You seem very bitter in your post, are you getting bored of sitting at your computer screen watching other people's achievements or something?

Edited by Cornishman

Yes there is always the reaction time, but there is so much in the technique, body position, throttle control, weight transfer, bike set up, clutch set up, tyre pressure, practice practice practice

Some people have a certain amount of instinct and can get away with it to a certain extent. But practice makes these people even better!!!!!!!

Edited by Mixy230

PLENTY of knowledgable riders will tell you that technique is important. Where and how you sit on the bike, etc. Where I would agree, Chris is lacking in his seeming inability to take on board what advice he could seek.

Mauger and Gollob had a particular technique which worked for them; Hancock, too. Others like Wiltshire and Tatum were almost instinctive.

I also think that the weight will matter as well, at least to some extent., Too heavy and the bike will accelerate a little less quickly,

but if the riders is too light there might not be enough weight on the back wheel to get enough grip

I also think that the weight will matter as well, at least to some extent., Too heavy and the bike will accelerate a little less quickly,

but if the riders is too light there might not be enough weight on the back wheel to get enough grip

Aha! that gives me an idea for a thread in the General section - i'll quote ya there lol. I could ask the questions here but it will sidetrack severely from the topic if i do.

You seem very bitter in your post, are you getting bored of sitting at your computer screen watching other people's achievements or something?

Erm no...and other peoples achievements ?? What are you on..

What may come across as bitter is simply frustration at people who know diddly squat about the decisions and daily grind a speedway rider and the administrators have to contend with. People's lack of grip on this forum is hilarious and it is no wonder when it's referred to in a poor light by so many people.

What may come across as bitter is simply frustration at people who know diddly squat about the decisions and daily grind a speedway rider and the administrators have to contend with. People's lack of grip on this forum is hilarious and it is no wonder when it's referred to in a poor light by so many people.

And you're an expert of course?

What frustration? What does it matter to you what one person thinks of someone else, both of whom are completely unconnected to you? If you don't like a post then why not just ignore it instead of attacking the poster?

Edited by Cornishman

Think you might have hit a nail on the head of why the sport is in such bad shape.The fact that fans on here have their opinions looked down upon by the "so many" you refer to.The "if you don't like it,don't come" attitude.Well guess what,people ain't coming

.....Riders don't have a bottomless pit of money to spray up the wall at the drop of a hat. A 4000km round trip is not something to take lightly.

Putting myself in that kind of position, and not in the cloud cuckoo land some of you lot live in, i would be thinking...blimey, am i ready to risk x amount of money to do the 4000km trip for potentially nothing ? if i was to race and go through, am i ready to go in to the gp's full tilt next season anyway physically and financially ? am i prepared enough right now to fancy my chances at at the meeting anyway ?

The only thing is that there are clearly defined rules and consequences regarding a SGP rider or substitute rider not taking their place in a meeting. The immediate riding ban won't necessarily be a factor depending on the date of the NZ GP. However, i think a rider is banned from taking further part in the series if he refuses to race when nominated for a GP. So if Chris was called into the New Zealand round and declined to take part he wouldn't be able to enter any others?

The only thing is that there are clearly defined rules and consequences regarding a SGP rider or substitute rider not taking their place in a meeting. The immediate riding ban won't necessarily be a factor depending on the date of the NZ GP. However, i think a rider is banned from taking further part in the series if he refuses to race when nominated for a GP. So if Chris was called into the New Zealand round and declined to take part he wouldn't be able to enter any others?

The poster you are quoting was talking about Pavlic-and the criticism of him for not travelling all the way to the UK without knowing he was going to get a ride-no rider would turn down a GP meeting.

The poster you are quoting was talking about Pavlic-and the criticism of him for not travelling all the way to the UK without knowing he was going to get a ride-no rider would turn down a GP meeting.

Ahh ok thought he was talking about Chris Harris. But i was skimming through forum threads whilst i had a few moments spare. Although the rules i referred to apply to any rider called up to race in New Zealand if Chris Holder doesn't compete. It will be quite an outlay especially if it's only for one meeting in the series.

ALL riders competing in NZ GP are provided with four air tickets, three hotel rooms for the duration of their stay and freight (two bikes, engines, etc) from Amsterdam...

That's a pretty good deal. I was unaware, or had forgotten, that the riders had frieght paid for. I was only going on previous posts in forums mentioning massive costs for riders.

Will the same payments apply if there are GP's in Australia (i presume so) and the USA? Doesn't look like an Argentinian GP is likely to surface, would be a great four 'world' GP's to have mind. Sad to see no mention of China recently who are getting most sports to stage a showpiece event there.

Edited by manchesterpaul