British Speedway Forum

Freddie Williams R.i.p

So sorry to hear of Freddie Williams death. I saw him on numerous occasions including his two World titles . What a fantastic rider he was and he stood almost alone at times against the mighty Australian Test Team of the day. I doubt that we will see his like again from Britain. Makes the current lot look even more feeble

• Like 1

A great rider and ambassador for the sport. I remember him, and his brother, riding in the Southern Centre Grasstrack Championships in 1949 or 50 at Bishops Waltham. He won outright in great style. How many current world champions would be seen doing this, and on a speedway bike without rear suspension. A sad passing indeed.

A great ambassador for the sport. I remember him and his brother, Eric, competing in th Southern Centre ACU Grasstrack Championships at Bishops Waltham in 1949 or 50. He won outright. This was on his speedway bike with no rear suspension. How many modern day top riders would do this? Cameron Woodward and David Howe come to mind.

Sad news R.I.P Freddie a true champion and proud Welshman,shame on both BBC Wales & ITV Wales Sport for not recognising the greatest speedway rider to come out of Wales.

I phoned The BBC wales radio Programme With This Sad News, It was the Jason mohamed Phone in The Resercher Took Down All the Details, But as Yet to My Knowledge No Comment has Been made , Perhaps they Think This was not as News worthy as A Ball Boy being Kicked by a Chelsea Footballer, Phone Jason Mohamed On 03700 100 110 Between 10 and One

R.I.P Freddie, I was never lucky enough to see you ride, but in addition to your magnificent achievements on the track at least you have managed to achieve possibly the biggest article concerning speedway in the Torygraph for many years in todays obituary columns.

Thoughts are with Freddies family and friends at this sad time

I have to admit, I knew nothing about Freddie Williams except he was a British World Champ.

His importance was emphasised last weekend when the Daily Telegraph included an obituary.

I have taken a scan - so if you would like a copy, please PM me with an e-mail, and I'll send it to you.