British Speedway Forum

(poll) Will You Cancel Skysports If The Speedway Gp Isn't Shown?

The Gauling thing is, they have the cheek to put up the subscription fee every year without so much as a letter to say they are going to do this!!

If the GP's AND the EL get taken off of Sky sports eventually, i will cancel my subscription untill the Football season gets under way.

Occasionally, i will watch a race on ATR if the race is worth watching,but then i could always shoot down the bookies to watch that. and or the Melbourne cup in November, but that gets repeated on Ch 4. i would sometimes also watch the Korda Boys {fishing} but thats not essential.

But my main gripe with sky is my first paragragph.

Latest update and thanks to all that have taken part

263 have votes so far

63% Said they will cancel

45% of the 63% from the comments said they'll watch the 2013 Elite League then cancel in 2014 if there is no speedway completely

almost all the 37% that said they won't cancel is because they watch a variety of sports. Only 4% of the 37% said they'll think about canceling in 2014 if there's no speedway on Skysports at all

although a small number of votes the main point is for 2013 there's no major issue for Sky as a high percentage will remain as customers

The biggest hit will come at the end of the 2014 season if there's no speedway at all but it shows a great portion of those customer will still remain Skysports customers for various reasons

So is it speedway's fault that Sky are cutting back on other sports too?

Bottom line is that not enough people are watching speedway to make it worth Sky's while. Whatever spin is put on it, raw viewing figures for the GPs would appear to be one-third to half of what they were a few years ago.

We get it. You don't like speedway, the BSPA, BSI / IMG any more. We get it.

If the SGP organisers have managed to alienate a GP sponsor to that extent, then there's surely something wrong...

Bottom line is that not enough people are watching speedway to make it worth Sky's while. Whatever spin is put on it, raw viewing figures for the GPs would appear to be one-third to half of what they were a few years ago.

Correct, the lack of viewers, and the calibre of those viewers, is the reason SKY are ditching speedway. OK so the spend on football has gone up massively but as a business SKY would not ditch a profitable venture.

SKY, by and large, need material to show between ad breaks, the value of those ads being determined by the number and calibre of viewers. Once those drop then it cant justify 3 hours of prime time TV

It is a shame because speedways format lends itself perfectly to live TV with plenty of natural breaks to cram the ads into but its no good if no one is watching.

So is it speedway's fault that Sky are cutting back on other sports too?

We get it. You don't like speedway, the BSPA, BSI / IMG any more. We get it.

If you read my posts you will see i want the sgp on tv as do watch them when i can, not bothered about elite as dont really watch it as pants. Yep dont like the bspa as done nothing for speedway and look where it is now, pretty finished in the uk. sky wouldnt be dropping speedway if it was any good or popular. i wont drop sky as enjoy other sports. img /bsi, i have always stuck up for them but yes have let us down so many times i could write a book about it :D sweden was final nail in coffin and yes cant stand them anymore and would not recommend them to my worse enermy, or maybe i would :rofl: i shall attend poole whenever possible and maybe even a gp abroad if time allows. A lot of people need to wake up and smell the coffee as 99% of all involved in speedway are users and not really nice people or clubs, companys.

The Gauling thing is, they have the cheek to put up the subscription fee every year without so much as a letter to say they are going to do this!!

If the GP's AND the EL get taken off of Sky sports eventually, i will cancel my subscription untill the Football season gets under way.

Occasionally, i will watch a race on ATR if the race is worth watching,but then i could always shoot down the bookies to watch that. and or the Melbourne cup in November, but that gets repeated on Ch 4. i would sometimes also watch the Korda Boys {fishing} but thats not essential.

But my main gripe with sky is my first paragragph.

Factually incorrect, letters are sent to every subscriber who has not opted for e mail as their preferred method of contact, but don't let that get in the way of your dislike of sky tv.

Edited to add that in 2011 there was no price increase for existing customers, check back your bank statements if you don't believe me.

Edited by ekimba

Sky package finally cancelled after raising sufficient enthusiasm to endure the expected lengthy phone conversation. Surprisingly the call only took 10 minutes (although suspiciously was terminated whilst on-hold awaiting the operator to complete the cancellation). Also surprising was the fact that no further questions were asked after I cited the reason for my cancellation to be the cessation of the Speedway GP coverage.

Maybe enough have cancelled to warrant this now being a recognised reason?

Either that or this particular operator couldn't be bothered fully qualifying the reason..

Edited by Tkdandy

I cancelled a month ago and from december enjoy the rest of sky TV but my bill has gone down by over £20 a month.

Will i have Sky sports without Speedway NO way

I start my sky sports in March and cancel at the end of the season have done this for a few years

Gives me my speedway fix for the week if i cant get to a meeting so for me no sky sports no sky

customer

• Like 1

For all TRUE speedway fans, the world does not revolve around just the GP's.

There are also plenty of other sports to watch apart from speedway.

The question seems to be aimed at speedway fans who watch only the GP, and have no other interest in sport. Don't think there is many of those about.

The question seems to be aimed at speedway fans who watch only the GP, and have no other interest in sport. Don't think there is many of those about.

i would agree with this that there is not just GP to watch, but if you look at the GPs from last year it was so exciting. If you only have sky then you have just EL and the handful of PL races. There were some good meetings in the EL over the season but if I was just a sky customer then I would be looking forward to more GP and the weekend then EL on Mon night. With other sport it just doesn’t interest me with what sky have to offer. SO I can understand what people write on here about cancelling there Sky if Sky don’t show the GP

Sorry, but I'm one of them.

I cancelled Sky Sports at the end of the season as I just do not watch Sports other than Speedway enough to justify the expense.

I would have considered reinstating in March if the GPs were covered.

But the EL coverage for the last couple of years has been too poor on on it's own.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but I'm one of them.

I cancelled Sky Sports at the end of the season as I just do not watch Sports other than Speedway enough to justify the expense.

I would have considered reinstating in March if the GPs were covered.

But the EL coverage for the last couple of years has been too poor on on it's own.

yep very poor on its own the EL, shows speedway in a bad light and a good reason sky dropped it. another example of speedway taking the money, not investing it in speedway and showing a very poor product.

Has it been officially announced that SKY don't show the GPs anymore, or is this still only rumours?

No, but it's gone VERY quiet on the subject!